Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300M VS Omega Seamaster Profesional (Bond)

View Poll Results: What would you choose?

Voters
58. This poll is closed
  • Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300M

13 22.41%
  • Omega Seamaster Professional

45 77.59%
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300M VS Omega Seamaster Profesional (Bond)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300M VS Omega Seamaster Profesional (Bond)

Hello all!

This is my first post on this forum, so first I would like to say "Hi" to all the members of this great community! I've been lurking through this forum for some time now, and finally I decided to be a member. I red a couple of nice threads about various watches, but now I need your help.
    I am saving money to buy a watch and after months of searching it came down to this two models: a brand new Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300M or a used Omega Seamaster Professional Bond Edition (mind the words in bold please). The price (which is a big issue to me) would be about the same:a new Tag is around 1400-1500 euro and I saw a couple of really nice looking used Seamasters on the sales forum for about the same price (~ 2000$).
    I would like as many opinions as I can get about the movements, the quality, accuracy and reliability of the watches, and any other information you think it could be relevant and help me get a clear picture.
    Here are some pictures of the "culprits"
    Name:  Tag Heuer 1.jpg
Views: 12497
Size:  165.9 KBName:  Tag 2.jpg
Views: 14082
Size:  80.1 KBName:  Omega SMP 1.jpg
Views: 7677
Size:  86.2 KBName:  Omega SMP.jpg
Views: 8102
Size:  92.3 KB

Thank you in advance and I'm really looking forward to your opinions!
    Last edited by Troll; November 30th, 2011 at 03:46.

Re: Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300M VS Omega Seamaster Profesional (Bond)

A used Seamaster will be much better value than a new Tag at a similar price.

I like the dial on the Omega but both watches are quite nice but I would take the new over the used even if both are in great condition, you would have to find out the last servicce of the used Omega to see when the next one should be plus warranty issues and the Tag is a nice watch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you could find a preowned Omega in good condition it would be a much greater value than the Tag. It would be the better choice.

This is a tough one, I suspect you'll get more Omega votes but I think it all depends. If the used watch is too "used" or too old, it may need servicing, and that can add $400.00 or so to the cost, based on my cost for a Seamaster Pro I had serviced. Don't forget, these mechanical watches will need maintaining perhaps every 5-6 years or so. So it could very well be that the new TAG would, in the end, be a better value because at least you're starting at the baseline and wouldn't need service for some time.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Black Bond in lightly used condition 100%

Omega
    Regards Cam

I voted for the Omega. Have you seen the blue face SMP? Beauty, in my opinion slightly better than the black face SMP.

A tough call. I voted for the Aquaracer though.

I love the look of both watches. But the wave pattern on the Omega is just too pronounced for my tastes. (Yes, I've seen one up close in real life. Not just pics of one.) In short order, I would honestly get sick of looking at it; and wear another watch. No wave pattern on the quartz version of the Seamaster. If I could get a quartz version dial on an automatic Seamaster, then my decision would be even tougher. And, most likely the Omega would win out.

I love the restrained good-looks of that particular Aquaracer model. Only issue would be keeping an eye on the crown. The crown problems are mainly with the 500M series Aquaracers. But have heard of 300M series owners experiencing it as well. Still, even with that, looking at the dial of a watch several times a day; I strongly prefer the look of a clean black dial. My Christopher Ward C60 Trident diver Pro has a wave pattern on the dial as well. However, unlike the Omega, the C60's waves are very understated.

Also, for more formal occasions, I'd pick a dedicated dress watch. But if my choices were limited to these two diver models, (other James Bond fans are going to hate me) the TAG Heuer Aquaracer blends in better with a suit. (Especially if you have the time to swap out the bracelet with a nice strap.)

As for quality? Omega fans might hate me for saying it, but TAG Heuer makes a very competitive line of dive watches.
    Last edited by Monocrom; November 30th, 2011 at 06:47. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

The Omega is a better watch by any objective measure, and at the same price used as the Tag is new, a far, far better value. The only reasons to buy the Tag would be purely personal-do you like the look better? Is purchasing "new" important to you?
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information