Tag Heuer - Aquaracer Auto vs New Formula 1 Auto

Thread: Tag Heuer - Aquaracer Auto vs New Formula 1 Auto

Question Tag Heuer - Aquaracer Auto vs New Formula 1 Auto

I might be late into the game, but I just found out that the new Tag Heuer F1 series just got revamped with automatic models which got me all excited again. I used to own an F1 quartz and a blue Aquaracer before but it wasn't a fair comparison back then since one is quartz and another is auto. now, with F1 having auto models I would like to know your opinion on it and how it compares with current Aquaracer model.

from what I've seen of the specs and pricing, the new F1 auto seem to catch up with AR other than 100m water resistance difference (and who bring watches to 300m depth these days anyway? it's absurd. you'll probably die first before breaking your watch). from my observation, the watch has similar case size (41 mm). both are auto, F1 is powered with calibre 6 and AR is powered with calibre 5 and both have 38 hours power reserve (don't really know how different they are so if anyone could tell me the difference between these two movements, that'd be great). both uses saphire crystal and solid caseback. both have rotating diver bezel. both are 3 handers with date and hacking function (and both have chrono models too) and lastly the pricing. the lowest price I could find for F1 auto model starts at $995 (from Jomashop) and the lowest Aquaracer starts at $1299 (from Jomashop as well).

from these info, does that mean the only benefit I get from Aquaracer and paying about $300 more is only the 100m increase of water resistance rating? someone please enlighten me here cause they both seem to have the same specs to me except that water resistance rating.

Re: Tag Heuer - Aquaracer Auto vs New Formula 1 Auto

In this price range, I would have a look at the Oris Aquis...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Personally I like both of them a lot but prefer the case shape of the Aquaracer. Never been a huge fan of the lug design on the F1...although I find the other motoring-inspired details quite appealing.

Cheers,
    NM

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I feel a Tag Heuer F1 should be fine with quartz since it is in a way, a sporty kind of watch with multiple chronograph complications. Personally I've owned an F1 a few years now, battery lasts very long, keeps time as good as new & got it at a very reasonable price. Its been a use-it-forget-it watch. F1 is best considered as a great value for money watch for a very respectable movement, Aquaracer I'd guess most of the premium is down to the greater water-resistance ability. Buy whatever looks good to you, as you said deep down in the technical specs both are same, so if you feel the Aquaracer looks better (and they do) and is worth the premium then go right ahead.

What model Aquaracer are you looking at? I had a similar dilemma recently and ended up buying a 2011ish WAF2111 model. I was looking at the new models but just didn't like the looks. My watch is in near mint condition and only cost a little over half a grand.

There are some older ARs that you can get in good condition and cheap if you are interested. Just a thought.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

thanks for the info. that verifies my assumption that the difference between F1 and AR is only the water resistance rating.
    the F1 model I'm looking is WAZ2115 and the AR I'm comparing it to is the WAN2111.

I read from other resources that Calibre 5 is rebranded ETA 2824-2 / SW200 and the Calibre 6 is rebranded ETA 2892-2 / SW300, can someone confirm this to me?
    and also, if this is true can someone tell me what is the advantage / disadvantage of having 2892 over 2824 movement (or in the case of Sellita, 200 over 300)??

Once upon a time, when they were using both ETA supplied and Sellita supplied movements, the Calibre reference was used to cover both of them as they are pretty much the same (also take note that back then, Sellita were also responsible for manufacturing and assembling products for ETA as well).

These days, it's more likely to be just Sellita movements being used.

What you should be keeping in mind isn't that the Calibre reference equates to a movement but more that it refers to a "function".

Calibre 5 is the standard three hand.
    Calibre 6 is sub-seconds.

I don't know if it is the ETA version but the sub-seconds is 2892 based.

2892s are thinner in their basic firm and have much nicer winding via the stem.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Thread Information