Tag Heuer Carrera vs. Breitling Superocean Heritage 44mm

Thread: Tag Heuer Carrera vs. Breitling Superocean Heritage 44mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tag Heuer Carrera vs. Breitling Superocean Heritage 44mm

Hi! I am confused between the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 and the Breitling Superocean heritage 44mm(chronograph). Though the other forums shouted in favour of the Omega Speedmaster professional, I personally do not admire the look of it. I am open to other suggestions too! btw, this would be my first automatic watch......so yes, I am new to the watch world and recently developed i liking for the same.

Re: Tag Heuer Carrera vs. Breitling Superocean Heritage 44mm

Quote Originally Posted by pranavsahgal25 View Post
    Hi! I am confused between the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 and the Breitling Superocean heritage 44mm(chronograph). Though the other forums shouted in favour of the Omega Speedmaster professional, I personally do not admire the look of it. I am open to other suggestions too! btw, this would be my first automatic watch......so yes, I am new to the watch world and recently developed i liking for the same.
    Are you ok with watches of that size and thickness? For an average guy you'll be banging them into doors on a regular basis given their size.

That said I'll take a seiko based movement and the better looking more classic dial of the Tag in a second. The superocean is too busy for me. But others will come along with better advice, but are you set on a watch THAT HUGE?

Also take a look at the IWC Aquatimer Chrono the last gen Sapphire bezel version, SINN 900 fleiger, Ball watches and Maurice Lacroix Pontos S diver. If budget allows Bremont Boeing 247 is also worth considering.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Between those I'd go with the SOH without question.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
    Are you ok with watches of that size and thickness? For an average guy you'll be banging them into doors on a regular basis given their size.

That said I'll take a seiko based movement and the better looking more classic dial of the Tag in a second. The superocean is too busy for me. But others will come along with better advice, but are you set on a watch THAT HUGE?
    I do feel that the SOH is a bit thick! confused...

Quote Originally Posted by sea0bass View Post
    Also take a look at the IWC Aquatimer Chrono the last gen Sapphire bezel version, SINN 900 fleiger, Ball watches and Maurice Lacroix Pontos S diver. If budget allows Bremont Boeing 247 is also worth considering.
    I like the look of the IWC! will read about it.....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pranavsahgal25 View Post
    I like the look of the IWC! will read about it.....thanks!
    The IWC Aquatimer is extremely tough I used it for many years as a beater with only very scruff marks.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Carrera -- clean dial, sharp case design, excellent movement. The SOH has good guts, but nothing about the outside of the watch appeals to me personally. I just find it too big and too busy.

The idea of a 'diver-cum-chronograph' like the SOH and its ilk never did appeal to me. Why?
    A nagging feeling of trying to squeeze too much into one watch, turning it into a hybrid. The aesthetic purity of each is confused mainly because there are too many functional aspects compromised. Form follows function.

Dive watches ideally need a clean legible dial with big lumed markers and hands to cope with poor visibility. They need minimal potential weak points that may fail and allow water to flood the watch, and chrono pushers are a very big compromise to this. Fiddling with chrono pushers underwater is not recommended (not in my book anyway) as the piston like movement underwater will eventually effect the 'O' ring gaskets. Movement of pushers may not directly cause the watch to flood first time around but repeated use will definitely compromise the silicone lubricant by intoducing water-borne particles in and allow water to slowly wash out the lubricant with potential long term damage to the 'O' ring and the watertightness. Dive bottom times are measured in minutes (for which the the bezel is ideal), not in milliseconds, so the stop watch function is redundant.

OTOH good chronographs need a big wide dial radius to enhance readability of the outer split second marks and the smaller inner sub-dials. A thick dive bezel compromises this by taking up too much perimeter area. If anything, the bezel on a chrono should be a thinnish fixed tachymetre to help estimate speed/distance as and when required, not a hulking big rotating dive bezel..

Just my opinion but either get a proper chrono or a proper dive watch.
    Last edited by obomomomo; July 22nd, 2015 at 16:22.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by obomomomo View Post
    The idea of a 'diver-cum-chronograph' like the SOH and its ilk never did appeal to me.
    How bout annual cal + chrono like the Zenith Winsor :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information