Tag Heuer Monaco vs. Cartier Roadster (Pre-owned)

Thread: Tag Heuer Monaco vs. Cartier Roadster (Pre-owned)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tag Heuer Monaco vs. Cartier Roadster (Pre-owned)

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. As you may be able to tell by my screen name, I'm a long-time car geek but a relatively newly-minted WIS. I'm trying to slowly build up my watch collection with watches that are both classic and resonate with me personally. For example, my Polar Rolex Explorer II may not have been the most obvious Rolex choice, but there was something about the clean lines of that watch that kept getting my attention whenever I saw it at the AD. My JLC has sentimental meaning and the Breitling is nearly a decade old and doesn't represent my current aspirations.

With all of that as a background, I've been drawn to watches that have a connection to the automotive world. I love cars, but collecting cars is somewhat cost-prohibitive (not only because of their initial cost, but because I live in the city and would have to rental multiple parking spaces). With that said, I'm not interested in any watches that are directly co-branded with a car company (Panerai Ferrari "Special Editions", etc.).

I've been eyeing the Cartier Roadster (Large size, Silver dial, non-chrono) for years now. I love everything about the way it looks but have some reservations about buying a Cartier as compared to a watch that has an in-house movement and is more of a "watch guy's watch". I also like the Tag Heuer Monaco Chronograph (not sure whether I'd go for the blue or the black), but many of the preowned watches (pre-2009) have the acrylic crystal, which gives me some pause. Also, from what I understand, the movement in the Monaco is really nothing special.

As watches with a strong automotive theme, I thought I would have seen other threads comparing the Monaco and the Roadster. Any thoughts here?

Re: Tag Heuer Monaco vs. Cartier Roadster (Pre-owned)

No contest, Cartier. "Watch guys watch".

I'm not sure with the Cartier you get any connection with the automotive world other then the name Roadster. With the Monaco on the other hand you have a long standing connection with motorsports. Heuer and the Tag Heuer have perhaps the strongest ties to the motoring world of any watch brand. If you want to own a watch that demonstrates your interest in both motorsports and fine timepieces I see only one choice. The Monaco.

Of course I may be a bit biased.

Rick

Incoming: Heuer Autavia 'Siffert'

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agreed - the Monaco's lineage to the automotive world is a lot clearer. However, the Roadster has several design details which were inspired by cars. For example, the stitching on the black leather band (which is included along with the stainless bracelet) is said to be inspired by the pattern on a car's leather seats. The crown is meant to evoke the center cap of a wire wheel. There are few others, but I have heard this from a few salespeople in the Cartier store and other watch stores. That said, I should clarify my "watch guy's watch" comment which sounds like the beginnings of watchsnob post. Rather, my concern is that the Cartier is a watch designed by a jeweler as compared to a watch designed by a company that has a legitimate tie to the automotive world (as noted above).

Keep the comments coming - thanks!
    Current Line-Up:

Rolex Explorer II 16570, Polar White
    Omega DeVille Tonneau Automatic 111-0085 (circa 1965)
    Jaeger LeCoultre Automatic Vintage (circa 1971)
    Breitling Superocean A17360, Black Dial
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical H69619533

Swiss Army Infantry Chrono 24083
    Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1DR
    Caio G-Shock DW6900-SB-8

Next:
    Jaeger LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    A vintage Zenith, perhaps?
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2222.80
    Cartier Roadster (Large, Silver Dial)
    Tag Heuer Monaco LS

Neither of the watches being discussed here are high-end. I would suggest asking your question in the Public forum, where you'll be guaranteed more answers.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - If you want a truly high end auto-themed watch, look at the Vacheron Constantin 1921 or the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Grand Prix or Tour Auto.
    DW-002BM-8, DW-003R-9T, DW-5600BB-1ER, DW-5600GLRZ2, DW-5600GRLZM, DW-5700BE, DW-5700SF2, DW-6900-7BUFF, DW-6900MT-7ER, DW-6900CL-4CR, DW-6900KR-8JR, DW-6900FS, DW-6901UD-3ER, DW-8800AB-9T, DW-9100BJ-2A, G-001BE, GA-110DR-1A, GA-111DR-7A, GA-120BB, GD-X6900AL-2, GD-X6900-7TY2, GD-X6900JC, GD-X6900MNM, GD-X6900MH, GDF-100BB, GLX-150-4DR, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000TFG-9, GPR-B1000TLC-1JR, GPW-2000, GST-B100D-1A, GST-200RBG, GT-100, GW-5000-1JF, GW-5530C, GW-9400-1ER, GW-9400-3ER, GW-9430EJ-9JR, GW-9400KJ, GW-9401KJ, GWG-1000, GWM-5600TH-1, GWN-Q1000, GXW-56-3JF, GXW-56-4JF, GXW-56BB-1JF

The Monaco. Iconic design.

While i'm a huge Cartier fan (santos, ballon bleu and calibre), i think you should go with the Monaco.

The roadster has a razor thin connection to cars and TAG is really a racer's brand.

Of the two choices, I'd get the Monaco over the Cartier.

If you're open to other brands, one of the watches that come to mind when thinking about cars is the Chopard Mille Miglia range....
    Anonimo D-Date, Seiko SNKM97, Omega AT8500, Linde Werdelin 3 Timer, Sinn 104, Tudor Black Bay Midnight Blue, G-Shock X Undefeated, G-Shock X Maharishi

Not sure that the Cartier does it for me all that much. I'd go with the Monaco out of these two.
    Regards Cam

Better yet, Eberhard - Tazio Nuvolari, 31037 CP
    Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Of the two choices, I'd get the Monaco over the Cartier.

If you're open to other brands, one of the watches that come to mind when thinking about cars is the Chopard Mille Miglia range....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information