WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tag Heuer Resale

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Potacho 
#1 ·
Hey folks - Before I got into watches a few weeks ago - I always thought of Tag Heuer as sort of my grail watch. Starting a little over 1k isn't stupid money, but more than I'll ever spend.

So I finally got to looking at used Tags on eBay. Why is it I can find a LOT in the 2-500 range? Is there a reason the secondary market isn't very strong? I know alot/most/all are quartz, but any other reason they're relatively cheap?

#8 ·
Most watches don't perform well as investments. Tag falls in that category. That said, many buyers recognize the proliferation of Tag watches for sale and simply won't bid high amounts when there is a more-than-adequate supply of them. In the general public, Tag enjoys a decent reputation but that isn't always the case in forums.

#9 · (Edited)
difficult to generalize,

I wouldn't say all watches keep on depreciating, but a good chunk (95-98%) would, there are exceptions to the rule

all new watches will depreciate, that's a given, while most will keep on depreciating, there are a handful that will stop depreciating at a certain value,
factors such as demands and collectability play a major part - which could drive price upward - but that's very, very rare

TAG Heuer has a good name, but unless the model became a collectable piece and much desired, it'll depreciate like most other - but I believed it'll stop at a certain value,
someone mentioned half, which is about right

#10 ·
Good for me because I generally only buy used/second-hand watches. Got a LNIB Tag Aquaracer Chrono for more than half off of retail and the first owner wore it less than a week. If you are somewhat knowledgeable about watches and don't have a boatload of cash to spend, you generally stick to buying second-hand.

#15 ·
The only watches that hold value or appreciate are Limited Editions or vintage collectibles. If people want it and there is limited supply, it will be worth more.

If it is a used watch that is plentiful in supply and not as plentiful in demand, then it will behave much like an automobile. Worth less every year since the tags (TAGS) came off (pun somewhat intended).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.