Tag Heuer's reputation (Blue dive watch question 1)

Thread: Tag Heuer's reputation (Blue dive watch question 1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tag Heuer's reputation (Blue dive watch question 1)

Is Tag Heuer an esteemed brand? I’ve read many opinions in several forums endorsing the quality and value of watches from Hamilton, Oris, and Stowa (and others) but have seen a fair number of snarky comments regarding Tag Heuer. They’re popular (maybe that’s part of the problem), have one of the busiest forums on this site, use the same movements as the fore mentioned brands in many models, and I think have a decent reputation for quality. What is Tag Heuer doing to earn a bit more contempt than most other brands that are given serious consideration here?

I ask this because I’m considering purchasing an Aquaracer Automatic to fill my overwhelming need for a blue face/blue bezel dive watch. I know there are other options beginning with the Bond Seamaster, but I love this site and would like to know if others have an opinion on this.

Re: Tag Heuer's reputation (Blue dive watch question 1)

TagHeuer likes revolutionizing watchmaking in the chronograph area, if you see their models you'll notice some of the best chronos ever made, including the calibre 36 Caliper, the in-house Cal 360, the in-house Calibre S, the calibre RS, the monaco v4, the Pendulum springless movement, and the new in-house calibre 1887, in chronographs they have all the records.

many folks here much prefer Omega or even Rolex to TagHeuer, mainly cuz the majority of the WIS are conservative, traditional, and if you take a look at what is TagHeuer doing, its nothing conservative.

quality, its all there, they produce almost all the parts in their watches, case, bracelet, and some movements, they are a true watchmakers so the quality is superb.

so, go to an AD hold it in your hands, compare it to other brands and see for yourself what i'm talking about.

and don't forget, in the end, buy what you like.
    Rolex Daytona TT - Deepsea - Submariner Date ceramic - GMT Master TT ceramic - Submariner Blue Ceramic TT
    Omega Seamaster 2254 - Seamaster Pro Blue Ceramic - Planet Ocean 45.5mm cal 8500
    TagHeuer Aquaracer 300M - Aquaracer 500M - Link Bourne - Formula 1 44mm
    Oris Divers Date - Citizen Promaster Diver EcoDrive
    lots of Solar Casios

TH divers aren't their most interesting line.
    Nothing special, sellita-eta movements, saphire, nice bracelets, nice lume.
    The thing is that you can get the same from other brands at better prices.
    If you are really lusting for a blue face diver i would recommend:
    1.- The Oris TT1 diver : Oris is an independent brand, and the design is very unique, you'll get something as nice as the Tag.
    2.- The Longines Hydroconquest: Very much the same as the Tag.
    3.- The Stowa Seatime: Another nice one out there (this one you could upgrade to chronometer grade movement.
    All of the above are nice similar watches, if you were interested in a Tag Aquagraph that would be a different subject.

Shop around.

PS: This a video review someone made of the Longines
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dIu63D_jtU

Take care

W (I'm watching you)
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Im not sure, they have a good history, but I tend to think brand pedigree is a load of hogwash, what have they done lately? I don't know because I'm not very interested in Tags, but its something for you to research.

My understanding is that TH gets a lot of guff because when Heuer merged with Tag, it became less about watches and more about marketing. They seem to lose some street cred because they have celebrity ambassadors, spend a lot on marketing, and until recently they hadn't done much to further horological innovation/technology. That said, they make some fine watches. As you mention, they use many stock ETA movements that other brands use, so it might just come down to whether you like the style and design of a particular TH. I really like their Monaco line, myself. In the end, do as much research as you can, and buy what floats your boat. Forget what we say!
    Cheers,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryD View Post
    My understanding is that TH gets a lot of guff because when Heuer merged with Tag, it became less about watches and more about marketing. They seem to lose some street cred because they have celebrity ambassadors, spend a lot on marketing, and until recently they hadn't done much to further horological innovation/technology. That said, they make some fine watches. As you mention, they use many stock ETA movements that other brands use, so it might just come down to whether you like the style and design of a particular TH. I really like their Monaco line, myself. In the end, do as much research as you can, and buy what floats your boat. Forget what we say!
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I was about to reply when I got to this post and I can't add to it.
    G-Shock Frogman GWF-D1000B
    G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG1000-1A3
    G-Shock Rangeman GPS 35th anniversary Magma Ocean GPR-1JR

When TAG bought Heuer the company took a nosedive, and did everything you said

In the past 10 years or so the company has made tremendous strides. Take another look.

People still have the stigma, but TAG is a great brand again. Monaco, Carrera, Link...new movements...Calibre S, Calibre 360, Calibre 1887, V4, pendulum, etc
    Last edited by AbsoluteMustard; April 11th, 2010 at 00:09.

That was pretty much my conclusion as well. LVMH did that to all the watch brands they bought, they own Zenith as well. Whoever said they needed to get rid of the Class Sport is an idiot, not to mention all those stars everywhere. It was better looking than almost anything they currently make, although they had some cool retro designs at Basel this year, similar to TAG. It seems they save the good stuff for Re-Editions which for me is a big . Oh well. I am not talking down either brand, just my opinion. At least they realize their mistake. The brands like Breitling and Omega still have not figured it out, which is why my next purchase will most likely be a Chronomat D13050 in lieu of anything current.

From TX

Quote Originally Posted by Watchyman View Post
    1.- The Oris TT1 diver : Oris is an independent brand, and the design is very unique, you'll get something as nice as the Tag.
    by the way, i also own the oris tt1 diver and the Aquaracer has much better fit and finish and feels more quality overall. still a nice one.
    Rolex Daytona TT - Deepsea - Submariner Date ceramic - GMT Master TT ceramic - Submariner Blue Ceramic TT
    Omega Seamaster 2254 - Seamaster Pro Blue Ceramic - Planet Ocean 45.5mm cal 8500
    TagHeuer Aquaracer 300M - Aquaracer 500M - Link Bourne - Formula 1 44mm
    Oris Divers Date - Citizen Promaster Diver EcoDrive
    lots of Solar Casios

Ozy

Thumbs Up Re: Tag Heuer's reputation (Blue dive watch question 1)

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreb View Post
    by the way, i also own the oris tt1 diver and the Aquaracer has much better fit and finish and feels more quality overall. still a nice one.
    +1 I've got the 500m ...it's all over the Oris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information