Take out all the what shall I buy, and help me choose a watch, and what's left?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Take out all the what shall I buy, and help me choose a watch, and what's left?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

When I first got into watches I joined a couple of forums, as you do, but I never once asked the question, what shall I buy. It's like asking what shirt, shoes, should I buy. Are people just getting too lazy to make up their own minds? A couple of hours perusing the various forums would give most people a pretty good idea of what's out there and what suits their tastes, but there seems to be an absolute plethora of people who need their minds made up for them. I wonder if they do the same thing when they buy a car, microwave, TV etc?
    Last edited by dfl3506; September 28th, 2015 at 14:20.
    topol likes this.

Re: Take out all the what shall I buy and help me choose watch, and what's left?

To answer your topic - WRUW threads.

In response to your post, I have often wondered how a guy who makes enough money to buy one or more expensive watches can't make a simple decision on what to buy. I am with you on that, but their musings and fretting are fun to read.
    Nikoloz and topol like this.

Banned

Re: Take out all the what shall I buy and help me choose watch, and what's left?

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
    To answer your topic - WRUW threads.

In response to your post, I have often wondered how a guy who makes enough money to buy one or more expensive watches can't make a simple decision on what to buy. I am with you on that, but their musings and fretting are fun to read.
    Really? I find that it's just got old. Makes me wonder how they choose anything in life without other opinions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Take out all the what shall I buy, and help me choose a watch, and what's left?

As I scrolled down from this topic, maybe 9 of 10 other topics were exactly as you say -- "what shall I buy?"

The variant that I found interesting was this one, where the OP had some styling criteria and wanted some options:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=2424753

I've posted the same kind of question myself, especially because I don't know about the existence of many watches and was hoping to learn of some which I might like.

But, overall, dfl3506, I agree.

Banned

Re: Take out all the what shall I buy, and help me choose a watch, and what's left?

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    As I scrolled down from this topic, maybe 9 of 10 other topics were exactly as you say -- "what shall I buy?"

The variant that I found interesting was this one, where the OP had some styling criteria and wanted some options:
    White-Dialed Sports Watch, Higher End SARB035 Alternative?

I've posted the same kind of question myself, especially because I don't know about the existence of many watches and was hoping to learn of some which I might like.

But, overall, dfl3506, I agree.
    How do you make any other purchase without getting second opinions?
    Do you take someone with you when you buy a tie. I just spent a fairly substantial amount of money on a new car, I didn't join a forum first to ask what was the best car to buy.

I've never understood those post either. I have also thought who picks out your clothes for you? As for the " which one do you like better" post I always think who gives a f*#k? I say that because I have never purchased a watch that I'm going to wear with any concern for what somebody else thinks about it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drumguy4all View Post
    I've never understood those post either. I have also thought who picks out your clothes for you? As for the " which one do you like better" post I always think who gives a f*#k? I say that because I have never purchased a watch that I'm going to wear with any concern for what somebody else thinks about it.
    What about the, help me decide what watch to wear to a bar mitzvah, opera, mud wrestling, monster truck rally etc? Really, how do people get dressed in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by dfl3506 View Post
    Do you take someone with you when you buy a tie.
    Yeah, my wife -- because I trust her fashion sense much more than I trust my own. ;)

I once asked about clean, mid-sized manual wind watches with no date and below $1k because I wanted a dressy-capable watch that was simple to reset after it ran down. I don't remember seeing any in person at a local shop, but the resulting thread presented only a few options.

On the other hand, I've started to think that the Internet has made shopping for watches more difficult. If all I had to choose from was what I could find locally, I wouldn't be pining for some mystical Perfect Watch that's only available two continents away.

What I find especially amusing are the threads that say something like: I have xxxx dollars to spend, should I buy a new car or an XYZ watch. Are they serious?

With the power of so many forums with people of similar interests sharing experiences and opinions, it really does help to ask like minded people what they think about something depending on how serious you are about it. Sure for you it may seem odd that someone is asking to compare a T-shirt from brand x and brand y, but if that is what that person is into and wants opinions, why not? Its no different than asking for opinions on watches to get ideas, brands you may not have heard of, and perspectives that might change your own.

You also have to realize that tremendous amount of purchases are being made unseen online nowadays, without forums, opinions, wrist shots, lume pics, etc, it makes the process much harder to simply look at a stock picture and decide. I for one find it near impossible to buy many an item online without seeing it or atleast reading about it, but if I do end up reading about it in a review, forum or opnion piece, it does make the decision a more educated one.
    anaplian, windupp and omeglycine like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information