A tale of 2 40mm watches
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A tale of 2 40mm watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A tale of 2 40mm watches

Or well 40mm and 39.5mm if we are nitpicking.

I was messing around with my watches when I decided to try both the SubND and the Damasko DA36 on.
    It's interesting how the DA36 appears much larger than the SubND. Does the size of the dial affect our perception on size more than the actual dimensions of the case itself?

Re: A tale of 2 40mm watches

Wow, yeah that dial on the DA36 is huge. Overall, looks way bigger than the Sub.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
    In the garage:
    Tag Aquaracer - CAF2111.BA0809
    Tag Carrera - CV2010.BA0794
    Tag Carrera - CV2013.FC6234
    Tag Carrera - CV2116 w/ brown strap
    Tag Tiger Woods golf watch - WAE1111.FT6004
    Breitling Navitimer Pluton 3100
    Breitling Bentley (2006)
    Breitling SOH 46
    Panerai Ferrari Scuderia FER00002 45mm
    Zenith El Primero Chronomaster XXT
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    G-Shock GA110 (black)
    G-Shock GA-100A-7ACR (white)
    Rolex Yachtmaster Platinum (wifes)

IMO, some watches just wear bigger than others, my panerai wore larger than my old breitling steelfish even though they were the same size, same story with IWCs... I think a clean face plus larger crown pieces (ie master compressor) give off the illusion of a larger watch

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To me, it's actually the size of the bezel on each watch, the thinner the bezel the larger it wears. Also, dial color would impact size impressions from my experience. A white dial seems to wear larger than the same watch in black . . .
    mew88 likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I know what you mean, tried on a 39mm Explorer and was amazed how huge it looked, seemed bigger than my 42mm watches

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    To me, it's actually the size of the bezel on each watch, the thinner the bezel the larger it wears. Also, dial color would impact size impressions from my experience. A white dial seems to wear larger than the same watch in black . . .
    But given the same diameter case, the size of the bezel increases/decreases proportionally with the size of the dial - so its a combination of bezel & dial size that makes a watch appear bigger or smaller than its similarly sized counterparts. I agree though, my PO looks smaller than the Speedy (because of the wider bezel/smaller dial, even though it is a mm or two bigger incl. the crown:
    drhr likes this.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    Does the size of the dial affect our perception on size more than the actual dimensions of the case itself?
    Yes, the dial on the Submariner is only ~27mm and is smaller than the dial on their 36mm case watches (OP, Explorer, DJ, etc..). The DA36 not only has a larger dial but a more unobstructed viewing area due to the lack of roatating bezel which gives it a larger wrist presence; even if the case diameter on the Damasko were smaller than that of the Submariner (to some degree), it would still appear larger.
    mew88 likes this.

I did this comparison on the same brand between Pam 24 and 111,111 looks bigger than 24 because it has thinner bezel and bigger dial,in fact 111 looks bigger than the 47mm submersible...

Does the size of the dial affect our perception on size more than the actual dimensions of the case itself?
    In my experience, yes, definitely.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Absolutely. It's a generally accepted fact that the eye focuses on the dial and the size of the dial will warp the brain's perception of the size of the watch. If you have two identical sized watches, one that is "all-dial" and the other that has a smaller dial with a bezel, the all dial watch will appear to be larger. In addition to the dial size, you also have to realize that a larger dial generally translates to larger markers, numbers and hands, which adds to the illusion that the larger dial watch is bigger even though the case sizes are identical.

One more factor that specifically affects watches that have bezels, is whether the bezel is a contrasting or matching color to the dial. If you place two identical sized divers beside each other, but one has a contrasting bezel while the other has a bezel that matches the color of the dial, the watch with the matching bezel will appear larger.

Here's an example of the above described illusion that I like to use. It's my 49mm Oris Prodiver. It's a huge watch, but it has a small 31mm dial that's offset with a very thick contrasting bezel making it appear much smaller on the wrist than it actually is. In addition to the illusion of being smaller, the wearability is enhanced because the lugs are very short, so it wears very comfortably for a 49mm case and doesn't look oversized at all (7.25" wrist in this photo). By comparison, I have tried on a 42mm Hamilton Intra-matic (all-dial) and hated it because it looked out of proportion on my wrist. I ended up buying the 38mm version.

Name:  IMG-20130121-00519_s.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  292.5 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; January 12th, 2014 at 21:25.
    GlennO likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information