Talk me into (or out of) a MeisterSinger

View Poll Results: Buy the MeisterSinger?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • Yes! Buy it!

13 41.94%
  • No. Keep looking.

18 58.06%
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Talk me into (or out of) a MeisterSinger

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    LH2

Off Topic post Talk me into (or out of) a MeisterSinger

Attachment 973610

These have grown on me and I'm getting close to taking the plunge on a tan dial No. 01 hand wind (ETA 2801) with solid back, but few things are making me hesitate:

• At 43mm, it's at the upper end of my size limit (wrist = 6.75"). The thin bezel and amount of glass will make it appear large for its case size I think, although lug-to-lug is only about 51mm.
    • Too dressy maybe? The case sides are brushed, but the top and lugs are polished. I worry it may be too dressy for my usual casual dress. But it's easy enough to change out the croc strap for calf, which should dress it down. In my experience, dressy watches don't get much wrist time.
    • Novelty? I wonder if the novelty of the one hand wears off after a while. I've had my 24-hour one hand Botta a short while and I do enjoy it on lazy days where precision is not needed.
    • Cost. At over $1100, it seems maybe a bit expensive for what it is.

I do like things that are a bit offbeat, however, and a MeisterSinger would certainly be a unique addition to the family. What do you guys think?
    Bwana1 and portauto like this.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Inactive

Re: Talk me into (or out of) a MeisterSinger

Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
    Attachment 973610

These have grown on me and I'm getting close to taking the plunge on a tan dial No. 01 hand wind (ETA 2801) with solid back, but few things are making me hesitate:

• At 43mm, it's at the upper end of my size limit (wrist = 6.75"). The thin bezel and amount of glass will make it appear large for its case size I think, although lug-to-lug is only about 51mm.
    • Too dressy maybe? The case sides are brushed, but the top and lugs are polished. I worry it may be too dressy for my usual casual dress. But it's easy enough to change out the croc strap for calf, which should dress it down. In my experience, dressy watches don't get much wrist time.
    • Novelty? I wonder if the novelty of the one hand wears off after a while. I've had my 24-hour one hand Botta a short while and I do enjoy it on lazy days where precision is not needed.
    • Cost. At over $1100, it seems maybe a bit expensive for what it is.

I do like things that are a bit offbeat, however, and a MeisterSinger would certainly be a unique addition to the family. What do you guys think?
    What is it? But seriously, if you like it, and can keep the lights on, go for it! While not my style, I can see that being a very nice watch.

If you're not sure if you'll like it, try a less expensive alternative, like Kemmner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you want people to talk you out of buying a watch you have probably come to the wrong place. That watch is a winner.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

I like the handsome, clean dial and its contrasting color scheme. I think you should go for it, especially if you are a fan of simple, clean watches like the Sinn 556.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

It is a lovely watch. My only question is whether you will get used to single hand time and approximating the minutes. Some watch collectors love the watch while others grow frustrated with the design and stop using it once the newness wears off. It is difficult to give you advice on the purchase because I don't know whether you would expect the watch to tell the time quickly to the minute and second. I would tire of the novelty.
    Last edited by John MS; February 15th, 2013 at 19:21.

Buy it, I'm after the same watch in the 38mm version.....or the Pangaea which is 40mm
    drhr likes this.
    "Picking the lesser of 2 evils...is still evil"

Doxa 800TI Pro & 600T Pro & DivingStar
    Damasko DA45 & DA36 & DC56
    Muhle Glasutte SAR
    Citizen PMT56-27"Tough" & PMU56-23"Ray Mears"
    Marathon GSAR
    --Helson Shark Diver40
    Omega SMP & 120m Baby Ploprof & AT 2500 & AT Railmaster
    Tutima DI300 & Pilot FX--Oris BC Regulator--Aquadive BS100 Bronze
    Halios Tropik B green
    --Hamilton Navy Diver
    Jorg Schauer Kleine Durowe & Kulisse Ed. 12

Like it! It is unique and would fit in well with what you already have, imho. If you're liking the Uno and don't tire of it, I think the Meistersinger will be a keeper, too . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I was interested in these watches too at one time; they're neat but my reasons for passing them up were:

1) Forty-six year old eyesight. Having two distinct hands sort of helps me to triangulate the approximate time...most of the time
    2) Practicality. Like was mentioned earlier, I wasn't sure if I could transition between the two configurations easily enough
    3) Looks. The more I looked at the dial, the more it looked like a scale in a butcher shop to me. That's actually kind of cool - especially because it looks like a scale in an old fashioned butcher shop - but I found it a bit too utilitarian. I like this watch though so go figure:

Attachment 973892
    Last edited by ljb187; February 16th, 2013 at 00:08.
    drhr likes this.

I like them a lot. If you're concerned with 43mm then try one of the smaller versions.
    drhr likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information