Tech question re posted pics rotation????
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tech question re posted pics rotation????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Tech question re posted pics rotation????

A few pics I have posted in the last few mos are rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise from the pic on my Mac. I'm running OS X 10.9.5, which is the most recent update. My pics are taken with my iPhone 5. This started before the WUS change of ownership and it happens only occasionally and unpredictably. Does anybody know the cause and how to prevent this unwanted pic rotation?
    Thanks,
    CC
    “To be is to do”—Socrates.
    “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
    “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

Kurt Vonnegut

Re: Tech question re posted pics rotation????

Is it possible that they ARE rotated, and your phone/Mac is smart enough to "fix" them, while WUS isn't? E.g. if you took them with the phone in one orientation versus the other, the phone and PC can read the orientation metadata stored with the file and display them correctly, but it might not actually change the orientation of the file. Then when you upload them, maybe the WUS software doesn't read the orientation information, and they appear to be rotated.

You could maybe try taking one with the phone vertically out in front of you, then one with the phone horizontal out in front of you, and post both.

What do they look like in the preview of your post? Does it matter if you do quick reply versus going advanced?
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    Is it possible that they ARE rotated, and your phone/Mac is smart enough to "fix" them, while WUS isn't? E.g. if you took them with the phone in one orientation versus the other, the phone and PC can read the orientation metadata stored with the file and display them correctly, but it might not actually change the orientation of the file. Then when you upload them, maybe the WUS software doesn't read the orientation information, and they appear to be rotated.

You could maybe try taking one with the phone vertically out in front of you, then one with the phone horizontal out in front of you, and post both.

What do they look like in the preview of your post? Does it matter if you do quick reply versus going advanced?
    dbostedo,
    Your explanation makes sense. I just took the "same" pic with my iPhone held in a 4 directions while pinted at my watch. I will post all 4 pics now using advance (I always use advanced to post pics). I emailed each pic to my Macbook and posted from the Macbook. One caveat...I updated my OS last night (that is my OP was with older version of OS than I'm using right now).
    Here goes:
    ALL 4 ARE ORIENTED CORRECTLY IN THE PREVIEW.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kurt Vonnegut

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

While dbostedo's theory makes good sense (I bought into it) it doesn't seem to be causative re my pic orientation/rotation problem. Last night's OS upgrade may have been a correcting factor, but that is an unknown. If I get anymore abnormally rotated pics I will attempt to ferret out the reason on the spot. If I find an answer I will post it.
    Any other theories are most welcome.

Kurt Vonnegut

Hmm... problems that you can't reproduce are inherently tricky to solve. Do you have a pic that you know posted incorrectly in a different thread? Could you post that same pic to this one? If it show's up correctly here, it's likely your problem has resolved itself (or the OS upgrade fixed it).
    curious cheese likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

The new owners installed a weird filter where if you don't own enough Swatch Group watches they mess with your pix when you post them. Buy a couple of Tissots or Certinas and see what happens.
    curious cheese and dbostedo like this.
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Hilarious.

Kurt Vonnegut

The one that sticks in my mind was taken with my arm horizontal but the posted pic had my arm vertical has vanished from my Mac. I think I deleted it when trying to post again with purposeful edit/rotation. But it is not in my WUS file upload manager and I thought once something was put in there it stayed. I will look for it again and in my other Apple products. If I find it I will repost as you suggested and I will PM you. Are you an engineer or systems analyst or QI guy?
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    CC

Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by curious cheese View Post
    The one that sticks in my mind was taken with my arm horizontal but the posted pic had my arm vertical has vanished from my Mac. I think I deleted it when trying to post again with purposeful edit/rotation. But it is not in my WUS file upload manager and I thought once something was put in there it stayed. I will look for it again and in my other Apple products. If I find it I will repost as you suggested and I will PM you. Are you an engineer or systems analyst or QI guy?
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    CC
    Computer Engineer... how'd you guess?
    curious cheese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    Computer Engineer... how'd you guess?
    Your questions show your thinking of all the steps in the system that is causing my problem. Deming like.
    I found a pic I posted Oct 19 ( *****WRUW Sunday October 19th 2014***** - Page 3). The watch was vertical as was the iPhone when I took it. I will try to find it on my iPhone now and rename it and then try to post it again in my next post in this thread.
    Last edited by curious cheese; October 23rd, 2014 at 01:39.

Kurt Vonnegut

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information