With the technological advancement of smart watches, will the traditional quartz watch die off?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: With the technological advancement of smart watches, will the traditional quartz watch die off?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

With the technological advancement of smart watches, will the traditional quartz watch die off?

Just thinking about whether quartz watches will continue to be relevant in the watch world and to the masses.

Generally and in most cases, technological advances replace the older technology. In the case of mechanical watches, it seems the novelty and purity of the craft is enough to keep it relevant in today's world. People are still intrigued and surprised at the notion of mechanical watches and it still holds it's place in the luxury market as well. (It's already proved resilient after the emergence of quartz)

I cannot think the same when it comes to quartz, there is very little novelty or interest in the operation of a quartz to the public, and not much interest/seriousness in the watch community to hold its own. Luxury watch companies generally come out with quartz models as an afterthought relative to their mechanical collections.

As the general masses move towards smart watches, we will likely see better battery life, more utility, and variety from the new technology. The watch community has little interest in quartz movements relative to mechanicals (I view quartz as a niche within the niche hobby of horology already). Is quartz the odd technology out that will die off?

Re: With the technological advancement of smart watches, will the traditional quartz watch die off?

If you think a smartwatch is an epitome of development then think again. It is just a state between integrated or smaller devices, like implants or ring size devices. Watches on the other hand are here to stay.

Re: With the technological advancement of smart watches, will the traditional quartz watch die off?

Quote Originally Posted by murokello View Post
    If you think a smartwatch is an epitome of development then think again. It is just a state between integrated or smaller devices, like implants or ring size devices. Watches on the other hand are here to stay.
    I agree that watches are here to stay, but a smart-watch IS a watch to the masses. Why get a quartz, when a smart watch can mimic the dial, and do a bunch of other things instead? One important factor for quartz/mechanical is that they may be considered jewellery, and a smart watch is still considered tech, but that can easily be changed by watch companies as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nah. Quartz watches are extremely cheap to make, reliable and accurate so I expect they will have a place in the market for many decades to come.
    chuasam and brandon\ like this.

I can see where the OP is coming from, but I'm leaning toward quartz watches being somewhat safe mainly because, I'll go as far to say (with the risk of overgeneralization), that a wristwatch, in general, is a piece of jewelry whereas a smartwatch is more of a tool; two different market,

but (there's always one), smartwatches will/does have an effect on the watch industry/market,
    part of the reason is people's attitude or mindset of what they think is "cool/trendy" or what they think they "need"

For now, the main issue with smartwatches is the limited battery life.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I saw an interview with Jean-Claude Biver, where he gave quartz watches and smartwatches another 15(or 50) years, while he was wearing a smartwatch!

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    I can see where the OP is coming from, but I'm leaning toward quartz watches being somewhat safe mainly because, I'll go as far to say (with the risk of overgeneralization), that a wristwatch, in general, is a piece of jewelry whereas a smartwatch is more of a tool; two different market,

but (there's always one), smartwatches will/does have an effect on the watch industry/market,
    part of the reason is people's attitude or mindset of what they think is "cool/trendy" or what they think they "need"
    I agree with the argument that a smartwatch is seen more as a tool, and a quartz watch can still be seen as a luxury item. But there are luxury watch companies that are definitely experimenting with smartwatches (TAG Heuer, Movado, and Fossil), as well as the tech companies (Apple, Samsung). I think that if market research shows that smart watch sales are going up, it may not be that uncommon for other watch companies (let say... Omega) to partner with tech companies like apple to have a line of smart watches, and reduce the amount of quartz models.

Unlike mechanical, there's not much novelty in quartz, especially when not marketed/protected by the Swiss luxury companies. I think it'd be the Japanese quartz watch companies that would not be able to adapt (and have less of a luxury presence) most affected by smart watch advancement.

At the mid-low end (think Fossil, maybe Seiko) I think the quartz watch is on trouble. Probably the low-end, Casio, Swatch can maintain if they have good margin for a while, as there is still a good portion of the population without and with no interest in a smartwatch. Smart features may end up just being throw in features of a watch (think additional "mode" functions on a Casio), and just become normal on a quartz multifunction watch. My opinion of a connected device is that it will still be out of date in a few years, while even a mid tier quartz watch can have a service life measured for many more years. Its a different category of goods, but it will make the niche for time only watches just that much smaller.

At the high end, I think they will always be a market, even if its a weak one. Ladies watches, quartz dive, Breitling Emergency/aerospace for example...
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Technology advances to the point where you have to re-charge your device daily just to tell time(or drive). I am not sure if I would call that an improvement, more like a hassle.
    islands62, Shockwave and haltse like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information