TechnoMarine Maori VS TAG 1500
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nokie

Thread: TechnoMarine Maori VS TAG 1500

TechnoMarine Maori VS TAG 1500

Hello, I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately but it has really helped educate me about various watches and collecting in general.

Thank you for all your advice in the past posts.

Today I am looking at a Technomarine Maori and a Tag 1500

This will be more of a collector watch as i just got a nice citizen Titanium Golf for a daily beater.

I have not been able to find much info on the Maori at all, just people selling them world wide.

The tag is a 1500 and looks to be in good shape but is missing the pearl

Is the TAG going to be a better watch long term??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: TechnoMarine Maori VS TAG 1500

When my store first opened we carried Technomarine, kept for a few months, pulled in favor of Michele, we cheered.

Tag way better than a TechnoMarine, IMHO.
    slcbbrown likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 1500 was hardly the best looking of the range during actual TAG days and came in limited size and movement options.
    The 2000 gets you more options in both looks and movements but both didn't see a watch larger than 38mm until the later 2000 models turned into the Aquaracer.

With that said, the 1500 is going to be a quartz watch and unless it's leaked and/or has dodgy seals, is going to run until you decide it's not worth a battery change.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    The 1500 was hardly the best looking of the range during actual TAG days and came in limited size and movement options.
    The 2000 gets you more options in both looks and movements but both didn't see a watch larger than 38mm until the later 2000 models turned into the Aquaracer.

With that said, the 1500 is going to be a quartz watch and unless it's leaked and/or has dodgy seals, is going to run until you decide it's not worth a battery change.
    Ok thanks, I liked the unique look of the technomarine but I want something of quality more than something flashy. Looks like the TAG is the best bet.

What is a reasonable price for a 1500 in good shape? Would I be much better off with an aquaracer for an extra $100 if I can find it?

Thanks again

The 1500 is hardly flashy.
    If I were being kind, I would call it inoffensive.

Plain, simple case, simple flat and matt bezel, flat dial and with no extra level of finishing or surface treatment on any of the watch (but I could be wrong about that - it's been a while since I handled a 1500 "live").

The 2000 came in a lot of variations over its 20-30+ year life span as both 2000 and Aquaracer.
    If you want a 2000 that looks a lot like a modern Aquaracer, then you'll want something like a WK2116. In good condition, it's still a pretty sharp watch but nowhere detailed or finished as well as as a real Aquaracer.

Generally, I'd say that if you are looking at an older TAGHeuer dive watch, the 2000 series is a good place to start.
    Have a read of this to get a feel for the model range and history.

As for prices, I have no idea as much depends on condition/originality. The 1500 wasn't a very popular watch back then and there isn't much of a market for them now which is why as a whole, they are cheaper than the other models.
    I also tend to think the better approach would be to know what you are comfortable spending and what exactly are you after in a watch.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    The 1500 is hardly flashy.
    If I were being kind, I would call it inoffensive.

Plain, simple case, simple flat and matt bezel, flat dial and with no extra level of finishing or surface treatment on any of the watch (but I could be wrong about that - it's been a while since I handled a 1500 "live").

The 2000 came in a lot of variations over its 20-30+ year life span as both 2000 and Aquaracer.
    If you want a 2000 that looks a lot like a modern Aquaracer, then you'll want something like a WK2116. In good condition, it's still a pretty sharp watch but nowhere detailed or finished as well as as a real Aquaracer.

Generally, I'd say that if you are looking at an older TAGHeuer dive watch, the 2000 series is a good place to start.
    Have a read of this to get a feel for the model range and history.

As for prices, I have no idea as much depends on condition/originality. The 1500 wasn't a very popular watch back then and there isn't much of a market for them now which is why as a whole, they are cheaper than the other models.
    I also tend to think the better approach would be to know what you are comfortable spending and what exactly are you after in a watch.
    Ok, once again, thank you

I am trying to stay around $300 CAD so used is what I am looking for.

I have a few low to mid range watches and would really like one watch that is in the mid to upper range.

I don't have an automatic watch so that would be nice but not necessary.

I'm not looking for anything super flashy but some style and quality finish is a must. I am a fan of vintage watches also.

I want something I can actually wear and not worry so much about. I had my last watch for 15yrs and i would like to get least that out of the next one if possible.

I Scuba dive and would ideally like another dive watch. That being said i spend most of my time in the city and only dive a couple times a year

Here is my collection so far, although as of now it is more just watches that i liked lol

- Diesel DZ-1326

- Citizen Titanium Golf Eco-drive - new daily beater

- Bulova 96B50 dive watch with internal bezel - Daily beater - in for repair as we speak, it has 15yrs of hard use and the band and case are getting pretty rough

Maybe that can help figure out what watch i should be looking for?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Reefsider; June 22nd, 2014 at 07:36.

Thread Information