tell us your weird rules of collecting

Thread: tell us your weird rules of collecting

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

tell us your weird rules of collecting

I've discovered this year that I have some weird rules that govern my collecting experience.

Here is my new one:
    "Anything with 100M or more water resistance shouldn't be on a leather strap." It's always odd to me to see a diver on a strap that you would be afraid to wash your car in. Likewise, I think anything with 50M or less water resistance should generally go on a leather strap.

This new rule force me to take my Jaeger off its bracelet (it only has 50M WR) in favor of a black leather strap, and went looking for a true 100M+ WR watch to fill the subsequent "shiny bracelet versatile" hole in my collection. This search ended with my new UN.

I also have others, but that is a good one to start.

So, WUS, what are your weird rules that govern your collecting?
    Mechanical Collection:
    A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1
    Glashutte Original Senator Moonphase
    Jeager-LeCoultre Master Hometime
    Rolex Datejust II
    Rolex Sub-C
    Omega DeVille Coaxial Chronoscope
    Ball Hydrocarbon Trieste
    Fortis IQ
    Digital Collection:
    Cathode Corner Nixie Watch
    Bulova Precisionist Claremont
    Frank Gehry Positive/Negative Watch
    Casio Calculator Watch
    Oceanus 5 Motor OCW600TDA-1AV
    Casio Pathfinder PAW-1500
    Casio G-Schock Solar Atomic Rescue
    Citizen Dive Watch
    Nixon Newton
    Nixon Graduate
    WeWood Date Beige

v76

Re: tell us your weird rules of collecting

I think I'm willing to break any rule now ... I used to have one before - no watch over 43mm. But then, I'm feeling adventurous for 2011, might break that one as well!
    Last edited by v76; December 28th, 2010 at 01:09.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Nothing under 42mm. Too small for my wrist. I know everyone says "hey, big watches are a fad and everything's going to be 35mm in five years" (imagine using a stupid voice). Not for me, friends. I've always had a larger wrist and I'm effing glad watches have caught up to me. 43-46mm is my favorite size range.

No stainless bracelets. There are very few exceptions, but I just don't like how they look. Everything goes on leather, rubber, NATO, or Sailcloth. I just got another Sailcoth strap, but I kind of wish I held off; I'll probably put one on if I get a PO next year.

Day-dates. I don't like them. How about a "Work/Date" watch? It tells me if it's a day that I have to go to work or not, because they're all the same. What's the difference between Tuesday and Wednesday? They're equally as depressing, and it doesn't matter since I'm still going to work tomorrow and I hate my job. The Work wheel would have three different displayed phrases. "Work", "Saturday", "Work Tomorrow".
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    "Work", "Saturday", "Work Tomorrow".
    Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Nothing under 42mm. Too small for my wrist.
    Pretty funny, because my 6.25" wrists can't stand anything bigger than 42mm (tho I do have a few pieces of particular usage/odd niches.)

Since we're both in Philly, I feel better knowing we're not after the same pieces.
    Last edited by cl0r0x70; December 28th, 2010 at 01:34.
    Mechanical Collection:
    A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1
    Glashutte Original Senator Moonphase
    Jeager-LeCoultre Master Hometime
    Rolex Datejust II
    Rolex Sub-C
    Omega DeVille Coaxial Chronoscope
    Ball Hydrocarbon Trieste
    Fortis IQ
    Digital Collection:
    Cathode Corner Nixie Watch
    Bulova Precisionist Claremont
    Frank Gehry Positive/Negative Watch
    Casio Calculator Watch
    Oceanus 5 Motor OCW600TDA-1AV
    Casio Pathfinder PAW-1500
    Casio G-Schock Solar Atomic Rescue
    Citizen Dive Watch
    Nixon Newton
    Nixon Graduate
    WeWood Date Beige

Banned

Rule #1: no gift or heirloom ever gets sold unless somebody in my family will die without the money the sale would bring

Rule #2: reduce impulse purchases by waiting a while to see if you're still enamored by the object of recent attention

Rule #3: it's a hobby so it should be fun - don't make it like a business or it turns into work

Everything else is totaly flying by the seat of my pants 'cause that's kind of fun. What direction my collection takes can change several times a year so I simply go with it. I find the hunt, the experience, and learning process to be just as much fun as the actual watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Rule #1: no gift or heirloom ever gets sold unless somebody in my family will die without the money the sale would bring

Rule #2: reduce impulse purchases by waiting a while to see if you're still enamored by the object of recent attention

Rule #3: it's a hobby so it should be fun - don't make it like a business or it turns into work

Everything else is totaly flying by the seat of my pants 'cause that's kind of fun. What direction my collection takes can change several times a year so I simply go with it. I find the hunt, the experience, and learning process to be just as much fun as the actual watches.
    Great set of rules right there Dennis.
    I have recently added another thanks to some sage advice from a couple of members and that is that any new purchases need to be "self~funded". By that I mean that before I add to the stable, some pieces need to go to fund the purchase.
    I too stand strong against any selling of heirlooms or gifted timepieces, even if they do not make it into regular rotation.
    Finally, I cannot say how many times I have taken possession of a "new" impulse buy only to find something much more enticing a few days later.
    Apart from the WUS and other net communities, I have no personal friends who even pretend to understand my long time obsession but I really could care less.

-no polished anything
    -markers only
    -38-42mm
    -black dial
    -at least 200m
    -no Invictas
    Last edited by Jyurian; December 28th, 2010 at 03:02.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewSo View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'm bored with Swiss. I think "Made in Germany" is far more interesting.

Dennis' #2 rule is golden.

1. It IS a hobby, so it should be fun, as Dennis observes. Ergo, do what makes you happy. Screw all the other rules.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information