• 4 Post By lo_scrivano
  • 2 Post By JayVeeez
  • 1 Post By platinumEX
  • 1 Post By Nokie
  • 1 Post By Vioviv
  • 2 Post By platinumEX

Thread: THE -- TERRA CIELO MARE -- THREAD

THE -- TERRA CIELO MARE -- THREAD

I'm a big fan of Terra Cielo Mare and I know there are handful of others here as well. I decided to start this thread as a place for us to share pics of our TCM watches, ask questions of other owners, share info, etc.

A brief history of Terra Cielo Mare, as found online:

"The brand was created in 1999 by two partners active since the 1970s as importers of Swiss watch watches in Italy. The company is based in the proud and industrious Lombardy, northwest of Milan. The original idea is to associate Swiss watchmaking quality with Italian design, making each creation a tribute to an event or a personality that has marked the history of Italy, on land, on the seas or in the air.

In 2007, one of the partners died, and it was in 2011 that Carlo Fontana and his son Luca took over the brand. The Fontana family has operated a workshop for the manufacture of high-end watch components for Swiss industry for four generations (Atelier GTF). This acquisition will further enhance the technical quality of Terra Cielo Mare watches."

I've owned many TCM models in the past and currently own a Milano 40 and Orienteering PVD. Two models at opposite ends of the TCM spectrum, in my opinion. The Milano 40 has to be the most understated TCM I've ever owned or seen. It's beautiful and a watch I most on Watchuseek could appreciate, at 40mm with an ETA 2892 movement. The Orienteering PVD, however, is a watch most either love or hate. It's PVD coated with a busy dial and very large at 47mm. I love it and I'm not even a huge World War Z fan. For anyone not familiar, the inner rotating bezel can be used in combination with sun as a compass.

I actually just purchased another and what may be the last BNIB Orienteering PVD. I found it using Google, located at a small boutique in Avezzano, Italy. There's definitely a thrill to the hunt in finding a rare TCM model, then the negotiation to acquire it, often relying on Google Translate for communication.

Last edited by platinumEX; 1 Week Ago at 00:07.
    Vioviv, uperhemi and slcbbrown like this.
    On Instagram @joes_watches

Re: THE --- TERRA CIELO MARE --- THREAD

Another interesting model Iíve owned is the Palombaro. It has an awesome 9mm domed crystal.

uperhemi likes this.

I completely misunderstood this thread. I thought you meant this...

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    I completely misunderstood this thread. I thought you meant this...
    I could see that. Thatís the way they usually separate their collections, though their site is currently down while they reorganize.

I had a few. A woefully unappreciated brand with zest!
    Attached Images Attached Images

platinumEX and Vioviv like this.

The Artiglio looks so awesome! I just wish I could pull off the size. I would probably give it a shot at the right price.

I also owned the newer version Orienteering BP in the past. I do miss it sometimes. It was a more reasonable 44mm and had an interesting case construction.

Here are some comparison pics of the Orienteering PVD versus BP.

Vioviv likes this.

Re: THE -- TERRA CIELO MARE -- THREAD

Very nice. Never seen pictures of this brand before.

Unique and cool.

Enjoy them everyone.
    platinumEX likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Great thread! Thanks for starting it OP. While it was the Orienteering watch that first drew my attention to the brand (b/c of a fellow Midwesterner) ...

Name:  TCM-BradPitt-WWZ.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  92.3 KB

... my first TCM was the MkII Avio, which is a fantastic entry level model with a top grade ETA ...

Name:  TCM-AvioMkII-09-121918.jpeg
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  TCM-AvioMkII-010219-000.jpeg
Size:  110.6 KB

At 44mm x 52mm L2L x 13mm thick, it was the largest watch I had purchased up to that point. To say that pictures donít do it justice is a wild understatement. Every detail of the watch is gorgeous, from the applied textured hour markers to the raised Arabics, from the crown to the caseback, to the wired-brushed handset & the blazing lume. Iíd say a hallmark of TCM is that theyíre not afraid to throw everything and the kitchen sink into a watch ó from an oversized crown to a cyclops ó and this is a great example where somehow it all comes together loudly but perfectly.

Name:  TCM-AvioMkII-V13-122818.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  39.6 KB

My next Terra Cielo Mare was a grail from the first time I laid eyes on it, despite a controversial marketing angle. It is probably the most interesting watch I own from an engineering standpoint, and is also the most accurate (or at least tied with my Aqua Terra Cal 8800 master chronometer). But right now my beloved spouse is giving me the death stare because Iím not dressed yet ... so Iíll come back and leave a short novel about my 3rd favorite watch ever ...

Name:  TCM-ZeroSen-102019-030-U.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  124.8 KB

PS: I hate to get started on a down note, but does anyone know what is going on with the brand at the moment? They announced a hiatus on orders & servicing in 2019, and it doesnít appear that they are open for business yet ... I will be CRUSHED if this brand closes its doors.

Again thanks to the OP! Itís long overdue for a great brand.
    platinumEX likes this.

The Zero Sen is awesome! I'd love to get one or the similar "Il Sorci Verdi" at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vioviv View Post
    PS: I hate to get started on a down note, but does anyone know what is going on with the brand at the moment? They announced a hiatus on orders & servicing in 2019, and it doesn’t appear that they are open for business yet ... I will be CRUSHED if this brand closes its doors.
    The parent company of Terra Cielo Mare is GTF SpA, a family operated business of 4 generations. Luca Fontana was the 4th generation I believe. He resigned as CEO of TCM last year and is following his passion of mountain climbing, exploration and photography. No idea if there's anything more behind it but I've been assured that TCM will be fully operational again with new models, etc.
    Last edited by platinumEX; 1 Week Ago at 00:23.
    Vioviv and uperhemi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by platinumEX View Post
    The Zero Sen is awesome! I'd love to get one or the similar "Il Sorci Verdi" at some point.

The parent company of Terra Cielo Mare is GTF SpA, a family operated business of 4 generations. Luca Fontana was the 4th generation I believe. He resigned as CEO of TCM last year and is following his passion of mountain climbing, exploration and photography. No idea if there's anything more behind it but I've been assured that TCM will be fully operational again with new models, etc.
    Thanks for the info! That’s reassuring ...

Thread Information