Testing Accuracy: what tools to use?

Thread: Testing Accuracy: what tools to use?

So, now I have a couple of autos and I'd like to start tracking their accuracy, maybe try playing with the regulating lever on a couple of them.

What tools do you use to check accuracy on a watch on a daily basis? Are there apps that can help me do this? Or at least track it? Is the time on my computer or phone accurate enough?

Sorry for the noob questions. I'd really like to develop horology as a hobby or second career one day and this seems like a good place to start.

Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Last edited by marchone; December 29th, 2012 at 04:51. Reason: more

Re: Testing Accuracy: what tools to use?

To regulate a watch, it helps to get a Timegrapher, so that you can instantaneously measure the rate of the watch. You should however be aware that the rate depends on the state of wind of the mainspring, and the position of the watch. Even when these things are held constant, the rate still drifts a bit.

Watch Timing Machine Multifunction Timegrapher MTG 1000

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not clear on your goal. Do you want to maximize accuracy on the wrist? Or measure how much accuracy can vary depending on winding status, position stored, etc.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

The absolute fastest way to regulate a watch to near zero average error, is known as "regulating to the user".

Very simple process. Synchronize the watch to a know good source (if in the US: The official US time (NIST)), and note the time and date. Wear the watch for a week or two as normal without stopping the movement. After a set time, note the total error, and the total number of 24 hour periods since synchronization. Divide the two and you will have the average error in seconds/day.

For example, you wear the watch from 11:10 pm, 28 Dec 2012 to 10:36 am, 5 Jan 2013, and it shows a total error of being slow 1 mins: 34 sec. That's 179.4333 hours, or 7.4763 24 hour periods, and a total of -94 seconds. The average daily error is -12.6 s/d.

Now, place the watch on your timing machine and read the instantaneous error in one position. Let's say it reads +8.2 s/d.

Subtract the average daily error from the reading and you get the correction, in the example +8.2 - (-12.6) = +20.8

Regulate the movement (the the one position) so that the timer reading is +20.8 s/d.

Now the watch, when worn, will average around 0 s/d. I usually tweak it about a half second to the fast side, because it is never quite that exact.

This method works because the positional variation and isochronism errors are averaged out during the long period of time. Don't worry if you are regulating the movement to what seems like a worse error, you are only measuring the error in one position.

If you don't have a timer, just wear the watch for 24 hours and adjust, wear and adjust, until you are happy with the results....

Of course, if you learn how to adjust the movement, you can fix the positional error and be done with it.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Could anyone recommend a timegrapher and online vendor who sells it?
    How much would one cost that would be good enough for basic regulation by a beginner ?
    Thanks.

Sent from my Microwave Popcorn Zapper

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

MicroSet Precision Timer

TYMC timegrapher - watch timing machine - home

Timegraphers are sold in a number of places, including eBay....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

I have one from Acetimer, which was $185 plus shipping.

Watch Timing Machine Multifunction Timegrapher 1000

There is a discussion of this Timegrapher here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/watc...er-403482.html

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    To regulate a watch, it helps to get a Timegrapher, so that you can instantaneously measure the rate of the watch. You should however be aware that the rate depends on the state of wind of the mainspring, and the position of the watch. Even when these things are held constant, the rate still drifts a bit.

Watch Timing Machine Multifunction Timegrapher MTG 1000
    That's a great timer for home use, and the price is the best I've seen.

Thread Information