Testing guidelines of watches - anyone know?

Thread: Testing guidelines of watches - anyone know?

Testing guidelines of watches - anyone know?

What I mean is: I'm awaiting the arrival of a watch from Ball Watch. They say their Hydrocarbon series are shock resistant and anti-magnetic. Goes into great depth on their site about how the watches are tested.
    Now, does this mean that EACH watch is tested or is there a test group of watches that run the testing and then the actual "for sale" watches are simply built to those specs?

Thanks everyone.
    G-Shock Frogman GWF-D1000B
    G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG1000-1A3
    G-Shock Rangeman GPS 35th anniversary Magma Ocean GPR-1JR

Re: Testing guidelines of watches - anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Monk View Post
    What I mean is: I'm awaiting the arrival of a watch from Ball Watch. They say their Hydrocarbon series are shock resistant and anti-magnetic. Goes into great depth on their site about how the watches are tested.
    Now, does this mean that EACH watch is tested or is there a test group of watches that run the testing and then the actual "for sale" watches are simply built to those specs?

Thanks everyone.
    The latter, I'm sure. Just as a group of pilot model cars are tested to destruction, others are crash-tested and still others are hammered round the Nurburgring and then the production models are built to spec.

Some tests may be carried out on all the production, for example maybe they are all immersed in water for a few minutes or something like that. Same with cars, they are probably subjected to a leak test to make sure the sunroof doesn't let water in.

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Some tests may be carried out on all the production, for example maybe they are all immersed in water for a few minutes or something like that. Same with cars, they are probably subjected to a leak test to make sure the sunroof doesn't let water in.
    Sorry Artec but thats just plain silly. High end watches are tested in dozens if not hundreds of different ways througout the production of each watch. We aren't talking about the $15.00 petrol station watches here. To manufacture a mechanical watch that runs to at or near COSC specs is no happy accident.
    Please, this is not meant to offend, but do check your facts.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SnapIt - thank you! That's kinda what I thought, but I wasn't sure so thought I'd post it here.
    Thank you.
    G-Shock Frogman GWF-D1000B
    G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG1000-1A3
    G-Shock Rangeman GPS 35th anniversary Magma Ocean GPR-1JR

stuffler,mike

It depends (One of the answers I do like best). But indeed it depends for what "policy" and quality control a brand has. One Example: Every watch leaving the Nomos production facilities is tested for its accuracy (see pic) and checked (case, dial, finish) before they are sent to the dealers/customers.

The procedures of the major brands might be different but all of them (for sure) have a quality control. No watch will leave the GO or A.Lange & Söhne, Omega, Rolex studios without being checked before delivery. Belongs to the self-image of those brands (in order to minimize complaints). "Artec" should have known that.
    I don't know how Ball handles its quality control. I know that even smaller brands (can speak for Stowa) check all their watches.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; April 17th, 2007 at 10:13.

Thread Information