Them young whippersnappers.....
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Them young whippersnappers.....

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Them young whippersnappers.....

As some of you may know, I'm back in school after more than a 10 year hiatus. Plenty of pros and cons, but thats not what I wanted to discuss. I've got something watch-related.

Today, I had some type of philosophy class, and of course I have to look around a check everybody's watch (you know you do it too) before I pass out from exhaustion and boredom. Bam. I see a big blue Breitling chrono on mesh on an 18 year old kid. Now, its great that he can afford something like that at his age, don't get me wrong. But its just weird, the last time around, we didn't even have watches (and if we did, they were walmart specials). Its not an isolated incident either. I take another look around and Bam. PAM Gmt. Kid is wearing a Ti/Steel PAM on bracelet.

My my. The world has changed.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

I know this isn't my most eloquently written post, so I apologize for that. With school during the day, and work at night......not much time to sleep.....or eat......or breathe.

Ethan
    myke likes this.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Re: Them young whippersnappers.....

I doubt they bought it themselves, wealthy parent gift perhaps, when I was growing up I had an Armitron LED watch with the happy sun and moon animation, I wish I could find that watch again...
    Then for 20 years I didn't even own a watch, in college I wore a $100 Citizen Eco watch.

It must depend on the area. I live in California (sf area), and I rarely see any notable watches at my college. So far this semester I've only seen one bond seamaster (which was authentic) and a datejust (that was *obviously* fake). The bay area is not know for being particularly friendly toward conspicuous spending, though. I too am a returning student, and I don't wear anything that stands out while on campus.
    Last edited by 9573; August 30th, 2012 at 21:48.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is a different world for sure. I'm 57 and just bought my first ever Automatic (Baume and Mercier Capeland Flyback!). Like yourself, I'm drawn to watches and am constantly looking at people's wrists. I got my new watch yesterday and feeling ever so blessed to have such a fine timepiece on my wrist, we go out to dinner and we're placed at a window table overlooking the outside patio. A young (very young) couple is seated adjacent to our table and of course I look at both their wrists. He was wearing a Patek, and she had on a Rolex. They ordered dinner, but they both were so immersed in their iPhone's neither hardly spoke a word to each other. Still, I couldn't help but notice that Patek on his wrist........droool.
    s.erickson87 likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Last edited by Seiko_Licker; September 9th, 2012 at 17:23.

That is strange to see two nice watches in one classroom. I like when I see nice watches in the wild. By the way I don't know what you are studying but ever thought about online? Work on your own time, don't have to deal with rambling professors and these young "whippersnappers".
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

don't write off the "whippersnappers" right off the bat just yet. maybe the world has changed. maybe in a good way. maybe that kid has an affinity for watches just the same as any of us: he got a job, worked hard, and bought something he felt he deserved.

maybe you should strike up a conversation with him. this could be the start of a great relationship/friendship/bond. and that's part of what going to school is about, isn't it?

just don't jump to conclusions until you've got the facts. you're experienced enough to rationalize things. its easy to be smug and assume that when someone has something nicer than us, he/she doesn't appreciate it or doesn't deserve it or somehow is cheating at life.

i say this because sometimes i am on the receiving end of assumptions. i wear a nice watch -- one that is arguably above my current financial means (i too, am taking several years off from employment to pursue a masters degree). i ride a shabby bike to commute. i typically dress casually. i do look younger than i actually am (i am late 20's).

when i go to stores like tourneau, jewelers, etc., the staff associates almost always ignore me. they assume, due to my stature, that i'm wearing a fake. once, a saleswoman was very forward in telling me that the brand customer service will not service my "fake."

other times, if people recognize my watch, they assume that i am the progeny of great wealth -- that i had merely inherited items that exceeded my comprehesion of value. watch enthusiasts that I have met IRL make this assumption. i'm just a kid. but the truth is, i bought my first panerai the day i returned home from a long, long deployment in Iraq. and I spent many years working and saving for things that i need (rent, food, education) and yes, for things that i want (a nice watch).

it is entirely possible that your whippersnappers are exceptionally hard workers and accomplished at saving money for the things that they have. i hope you find the opportunity to talk, meet, and learn about these people. great things could come from it.

and congratulations on your initiative to go back to school. it's tough, i know.
    Last edited by graphite; August 30th, 2012 at 22:26.
    dali3464 and Legmaker72 like this.

An 18 year old college student with a $4000 watch they bought with their own money... I think they're being generous with how they define "their own money."
    And if all that money did come from a job, they clearly still live at home, because what 18 year old working and living on their own can afford that while going
    to school full time? Something's definitely fishy here...

Where are you ? Vancouver ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittysafe View Post
    An 18 year old college student with a $4000 watch they bought with their own money... I think they're being generous with how they define "their own money."
    And if all that money did come from a job, they clearly still live at home, because what 18 year old working and living on their own can afford that while going
    to school full time? Something's definitely fishy here...

i argue that we should not belittle people, particularly the youth, for their sense of entitlement when they positively contribute to themselves, or their stature, or sense of self-worth.

so, let's just make the assumption as a thought-experiment that this young, 18 year-old DID in fact have some job which netted him enough money to purchase a high-end watch.

you might argue, no, this young man still doesn't deserve what he has because he does not pay rent, or food, or perhaps health insurance, or for utilities, or whatever. but is this not a little critical of our youth? what do we really expect from them? do you want them, or your children, to come up in a world where they are negated a sense of accomplishment for things that they honestly and fully made contribution?

wouldn't you agree that many of us lived at home until 16-17-18? except of course, for those extreme cases of self-independent youth who are violently or inappropriately separated from home for whatever reason. are you saying those majorities who are 16-17-18, still somewhat reliant on their parents, deserve no entitlement?

i think working for, and owning nice things, is a great learning lesson in life that should be approached incrementally. so Jr. likes something nice and works hard for *some* of it. well, good job Jr., you deserve it. and Jr., if you want to keep this trend up, you'll continue to work hard so that you can take responsibility for *most* of it. and when you're all growns up you'll end up assuming *all* of it. and eventually, you can start assuming responsibility for other people too. and that sounds to me like the responsible upbringing of a contributing member of society.

or i dunno. maybe he's a big fishy rich kid jerk who grew up with a silver spoon and does not, and will never, understand the value of money. you see this all the time in vegas. or hong kong. or shanghai. or kuwait. or nyc. i don't know what to tell you, that sucks too. we all wish life weren't like that. i'm not saying i have any answers or have any intelligent input on this, i just think it hurts us all to make assumptions on people and situations in which we're unaware.
    Last edited by graphite; August 30th, 2012 at 22:58.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information