And then there were two...
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: And then there were two...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

And then there were two...

Ive narrowed it down to two watches and i wanted to see what everyone thought. This watch will be a daily wearer until ultimately I acquire the funds for a new Rolex date just... in the future..sometime. . Anywho, after hours of research and forums scouring Ive ended up between the NOMOS club and the Tag Heuer Formula 1 Calibre 5 Auto. The issue is they are very different watches, and i'm aware that Tag isn't the most beloved brand on the forums, yet the new formula 1 has a decent automatic movement and feels very solid on the wrist. It's visually pleasing to me and seems as if it would be a great daily wearer due to its build and versatility. The NOMOS on the other hand is more in a league of its own with in in-house german quality movement for its price-point is something I've yet to find elsewhere. However, not having an AD anywhere near me I cant say how it feels on the wrist and can't comment on the "lug length" issue people seem to have. It also doesn't seem quite as versatile as a daily wearer, but it seems like it could be dressed up or down rather well. Anyways, thanks for the help guys let me know what you think!

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  63.4 KBName:  images1.jpeg
Views: 369
Size:  6.5 KB
    a couple pics for reference
    Juanjo_NY likes this.

Re: And then there were two...

not sure what happened to the sizing on the Tag... sorry about that.

Considering that you ultimate goal is a DJ go for the Nomos now so that when you get the Rolex it will be something totally different.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Considering that you ultimate goal is a DJ go for the Nomos now so that when you get the Rolex it will be something totally different.
    Yes.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Very touch call. If you only have one watch I think I'd want the bracelet option. That said I do like Nomos and own a Ahoi but many models seem to have a huge gap between the strap and the case that drives me insane. Here are a few examples:

Name:  Nomos Bad Lugs 01.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  144.4 KB

Name:  Nomos Bad Lugs 02.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  134.3 KB

Not a great photo but it's not an issue with the lugs on the Ahoi.

Name:  DSC01703 small.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  265.5 KB

On another Nomos note, the Ahoi was really outside of my wheelhouse and I had to buy it without seeing it in person. Thankfully I really, really love the watch. When it first arrived I was a touch apprehensive but I wore it for a weeks straight and I really bonded with the watch. Every time I see pictures I want to go put it on.

I just got my Nomos Club. The lugs are perfect. Like a leggy model.
    They serve to accentuate the watch itself.
    If your budget allows it. Go for the Timeless Edition Nomos Club.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

I purchased The Formula 1 a few months ago, and promptly returned it. Now don't get me wrong I loved the look of the watch and was very excited when ordered. I did not have the opportunity to view one in the flesh so I did the best research I could. When opening the box my first reaction was wow. Then I took it out, and what is up with this bracelet? To me it did not meet up to the standard I would expect in this price range. And the clasp is just that thin pressed metal. Really? I know this is considered an entry level Tag but for over $1000 I expect better. After all I just purchased a seiko for $180 with a better quality bracelet. Then I started playing with the bezel and at least with the watch I received there was quite a bit of play. That was a deal breaker no mater how nice the wrist presents was I could not get past the bracelet and bezel. I still think it's a great looking watch.
    Well its about time.....

Dubins930 likes this.

I wear my watches almost exclusively on straps, and I can't stand the Nomos lugs. I guess you could always get a thicker, more rounded edge strap to reduce it (hint: leather nato).
    If its a daily wearer, I would want a dark dial, sporty watch with bracelet and waterproof, but as your goal is for a Datejust, it seems you like dressy watches more. The Tag would be my pick here, but I strongly recommend you to also explore the offerings by Sinn, Stowa and Damasko.
    Last edited by blowfish89; July 21st, 2015 at 00:34.
    chuasam likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information