Are there any good watch values close to $1000?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Are there any good watch values close to $1000?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Are there any good watch values close to $1000?

The emphasis here is on the $1000 mark....I'm going to have a soft $1000 (unexpected Christmas bonus) to allocate towards a watch.

I know there's A LOT of value at $500-$600 - Cave Dweller/Reef Ranger, Auto Divemaster, Lum-Tec, Almighty SARB, Hamilton, Zeno (the list goes way on...)

The problem is that as I get close to $1000 I can't think of anything that justifies going beyond that $600ish mark. Oris, Raymond Weil, low-end Tag, low-end B&M...I feel like I'd be paying an extra $300-400 for a fancier name with no real gain in terms of watch value.
    Responses from this thread seem to reinforce that notion: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/fav...ch-594362.html It looks like all the recommendations are significantly below $1000.

At the moment, my thoughts are split between something in that $600 range or selling one of my affordables and going for a Sinn U1

Re: Are there any good watch values close to $1000?

Sounds like you may have already come up with your solution-find a way to get the Sinn U1, or something else on your attainable must have list, by virtue of flipping or saving. IMO, it's Best to be completely satisfied with your purchase than to just shoot for a specific budget range.

With that said, it is interesting to see what others would go for within a given price range...
    Last edited by JWM69; December 5th, 2011 at 10:20.
    “This is a Roche Vouceau. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to THREE atmospheres. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. This is ‘THE’ sports watch of the ’80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail.”

~Louis Winthorpe III

Quote Originally Posted by JWM69 View Post
    Sounds like you may have already come up with your solution-find a way to get the Sinn U1, or something else on your attainable must have list, by virtue of flipping or saving. IMO, it's Best to be completely satisfied with your purchase than to just shoot for a specific budget range.

With that said, it is interesting to see what others would go for within a given price range...
    Nod...considering I've seen great values at $200, $600, $1500, even $3000-5000 I was surprised to draw a blank when it came to like $900-1100... so I'm just making sure I haven't overlooked or forgotten a brand/model before parting with cash

Edit: Almost forgot - due to health restrictions I can only buy 1 watch or else I would've already ordered a Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor and an Alpinist =p
    Last edited by LosTresGatos; December 5th, 2011 at 10:41.
    CitizenM likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well if that was my budget I would seriously consider Xetum. You don't see subdued modern design like it anywhere else in watches.

Quote Originally Posted by LosTresGatos View Post
    Nod...considering I've seen great values at $200, $600, $1500, even $3000-5000 I was surprised to draw a blank when it came to like $900-1100... so I'm just making sure I haven't overlooked or forgotten a brand/model before parting with cash
    True...although the available choices expand exponentially if you're willing to consider pre-owned options. Now you got me thinking about doing the same with bonus money. The wheels are turning
    Last edited by JWM69; December 5th, 2011 at 10:34.
    “This is a Roche Vouceau. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to THREE atmospheres. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad. This is ‘THE’ sports watch of the ’80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail.”

~Louis Winthorpe III

Quote Originally Posted by JWM69 View Post
    True...although the available choices expand exponentially if you're willing to consider pre-owned options. Now you got me thinking about doing the same with bonus money. The wheels are turning
    OMG...I completely forgot about checking watchrecon I wonder if this means something from UBoat will fall into my price range (see what happens when your head keeps banging into a wall)
    JWM69 likes this.

Honestly, sell the affordable and go for the Sinn U1.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Based on the number of U1s that come up for sale in the WUS sales forum, the Sinn seems like a watch that may be better in theory than reality. So you may be better off buying something you like at the $600.00 level and save the rest for a rainy day.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    Based on the number of U1s that come up for sale in the WUS sales forum, the Sinn seems like a watch that may be better in theory than reality. So you may be better off buying something you like at the $600.00 level and save the rest for a rainy day.
    Sometimes a member might need the money, and needs to make a sale quickly. So, they'll sell a model from their collection that they know is popular. Thus translating into a quick sale. They're not going to put up something for sale that is just going to sit there week after week with no takers.

Also, regarding the U1, I don't see a ton of members selling it. I look through that sub-forum. It seems that every month there is a different model from a different company that is flavor of the month.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Banned

Name:  M8885.4.23.1.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  37.3 KB

This baby from Mido comes in at $1070. Features a 7750, fully equipped and a great mesh band. Screaming deal. Good brand, too. Classic design.

If you want a more modern design the Multifort and All Dial Chronographs are in the same price range.

Name:  movadobaby_2184_682125073.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  96.9 KB

This one is the new Aquis Diver from Oris. Ceramic bezel I think. Looks VERY sweeet with the dark blue color scheme. Cost is $1175.

Otherwise you are totally right, the $1000 price class is not populated with amazing deals. But whatever you do, don't waste your money on a U-Boat if you care for value. ;)
    WnS, Duder and KyleTexas like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information