Is There a "Beige" Market?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is There a "Beige" Market?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is There a "Beige" Market?

We all know about the arguments for and against buying from a grey market dealer, almost always having to do with the lack of warranty from the manufacturer. Recently, however, I purchased a high-end watch from an on-line seller at a very nice discount. My feeling was if I had to pay for repairs, so be it. However, when the watch arrived, there was a warranty card signed by an AD. When I asked about this, I was told that the on-line site was just an intermediary. So it would seem that the on-line seller was just operating on commission, and that I still ended up buying from an AD- but at a better price. I'm going to leave all the names out.

I will say that these days most AD's are also sharpening their pencils, and competing on price. However, now there seems to be on-line non-AD's who are not strictly grey market, in that they are just marketers for AD's.

Have others had this experience?

Banned

Re: Is There a "Beige" Market?

I know a sole country distributor of a very big famous brand who sells rare pieces online to buyers in other countries for more profit instead of into the brand boutiques. It's not all that surprising in the jewelry industry. Oh yea watches are jewelries not tools.

Not uncommon- There's a very large online retailer that sells Zenith with warranty even though they don't advertise as an AD.
    Current
    Rolex Explorer 214270, UG Polerouter 1961

Past
    Swiss: Tudor Submariner 7021/0 1969, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Zenith El Primero 36,000 Red, IWC Pilot 3717, Tudor Black Bay, Omega Speedmaster 3594.50, Omega Seamaster Chronostop 1968, Gruen Chrono 770CA 1970's, Omega Geneve 1970 Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono, Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono Panda, Hamilton Khaki Auto PVD, Hamilton Khaki Field, Oris Diver, Sinn 556i, Tissot Heritage 150th, Shinola Brakemen, Steinhart Apollon, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Bronze, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 47 Pink Gold, EDOX WRC Rally, Mondaine Evo, Longines Conquest, Bulova 96A111, Pierce Chronograph cal. 134
    German: Sinn 103 Tachy LE, Laco Paderborn, Laco "Used Look", Archimede Pilot XLH, Stowa Flieger
    Japanese: Seiko SCEB009, SARB017, SKZ330, SKZ323, SKX781, SRP313, Orient Disk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

if you get large savings, yea it makes sense. if you're getting 5% off, then you might as well go to AD and enjoy the experience.

Yep, been there done that, all good so far. A Patek watch purchased through a reseller went back to Patek for an adjustment under warranty with no questions or problems . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Are there any of these "beige" dealers for Omega?

I had the same thing too! I bought online from a Chrono24 dealer with an unbeatable price.
    The guy corresponding was a different name and dealer from the invoice. The warranty was stamped and everything from yet a different dealer (which incidentally was a Jewelry store) from a different country. The watch was perfect and the strap was swapped out for free so it must have been from the manufacturer.
    The discount was still a substantial 27% (including taxes and duties and shipping and insurance)
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Yeah, this happens sometimes with grey-market items that are basically sold directly by an AD but "unofficially." It's not something you can count on, but it's nice when it happens.

Interesting. Are ADs doing this regularly as a channel or just on the one-off for hard to move pieces?

This is something I have wondered. The one gray market watch I got had no papers but I'd probably be more tempted to get higher end brands if they advertised papers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information