Is there a better option than this for the price?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is there a better option than this for the price?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is there a better option than this for the price?

Let me preface this by saying I know very little about watches, I bought an automatic from a fair and I'm pretty sure it's an .........s thing worth about $15. I want to upgrade to something that feels more like a quality product but really don't have much money. I saw the Ingersoll Grand Canyon IV for $210 NZD and am considering buying it. I checked out the brand on this forum and the information I could find seemed pretty negative; about it being a classic brand now farmed out to china and that the only difference between an Ingersoll and a knockoff china watch it branding. But I also saw that users here valued it around $100-150 USD. I live in New Zealand and $210 NZD is around $150 USD so the price seems appropriate. What I'm asking is is it worth it at this price, or could I do better at this price point (taking into consideration shipping costs from overseas if you recommend other watches)?. Thanks in advance.

Re: Is there a better option than this for the price?

For that price I would consider the Seiko 5 line. Strong provem performance. Great value.

WIS Interwebs Communicator Tool
    ... What time is it? ...

In that style of watch I'm not terribly sure. Have a look in the Affordables forum and the Chinese forum for some ideas.

If you're not attached to that style of watch I can give you some brands to explore. They're Chinese and for what you spending they do the job quite well.

The other sure thing in tears, of quality is Seikos in that price point, they're A LOT better than the Chinese options.

I don't think Ingersoll is that bad. Bear in mind a lot of what you read here is written by watch nerds so information can be quite finicky. If you're new or don't care that much a lot of what you can read on watches is splitting hairs.
    Last edited by Gunnar_917; October 19th, 2016 at 13:17.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by exbob View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I know very little about watches, I bought an automatic from a fair and I'm pretty sure it's an .........s thing worth about $15. I want to upgrade to something that feels more like a quality product but really don't have much money. I saw the Ingersoll Grand Canyon IV for $210 NZD and am considering buying it. I checked out the brand on this forum and the information I could find seemed pretty negative; about it being a classic brand now farmed out to china and that the only difference between an Ingersoll and a knockoff china watch it branding. But I also saw that users here valued it around $100-150 USD. I live in New Zealand and $210 NZD is around $150 USD so the price seems appropriate. What I'm asking is is it worth it at this price, or could I do better at this price point (taking into consideration shipping costs from overseas if you recommend other watches)?. Thanks in advance.
    Forget the Ingersoll. Forget Ingersoll as a watch company because they're not. Simply a mushroom brand with overpriced Chinese watch movements. With that money you could get some very nice watches such as seiko 5s. My recommendation would be the Seiko 809K or the SNZG15. Both with the 7S26 movement which is a seiko workhorse and the watches are beautiful too. These are just two watches from the Seiko 5 series, explore the series yourself to find what you like. Avoid Ingersoll is my suggestion.

Is there a site that most of you use for purchasing? I'm looking on creationwatches.com right now and their prices seem pretty good.

This is all helpful advice, I sort of expected a negative response to Ingersoll.

If your aiming for the somewhat dress watch style, you might consider Orient in addition to Seiko. The Orient Bambino is inexpensive and of good quality. Orient makes great watches for the price in my experience.

Seiko 5 or 5 Sports is a good start. The slope gets slippery thereafter. Your wrist size and shape will tell which particular model suits you. There are a lot of dial and case designs that can suit any taste. Deciding on which one is part of the fun too. How one watch looks in pic does not necessarily comform to how you think it will feel on wrist though.

That is a crazy watch face. If you like something a little different check out Invicta. They have watches in that range, and a lot of different styles. For more of a straightforward piece I agree with Seiko, check out Citizen and Stauer too. All have quartz and automatic watches in that price range.

The Seiko 5 range is a bit like the Prairies of the U.S. (Huge) so have a good sift though them. There's not only lots of them but they are very good too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information