Is there a Swiss version of the Seiko SARB series? UPDATED: Found one I love. Can it pull off dress?
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Is there a Swiss version of the Seiko SARB series? UPDATED: Found one I love. Can it pull off dress?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Wink Is there a Swiss version of the Seiko SARB series? UPDATED: Found one I love. Can it pull off dress?

Hi gang-

Working at an international conference/event in Nov. and think this is a metal dress auto occasion, but I don't currently have one in my collection :)! I'm looking to purchase something on stainless steel (not a fan of gold atm). My price range is up to $1000, but it would have to be something really special, prefer closer to $600 - I'm fairly new to collecting and have mostly "value for the money" (under 1k) watches like Victorinox, Tissot, Orient, etc. I really like the clean, sharp look of the Seiko SARB series and the similar Orient Star Standard-Date. I think they're great watches and I'd be happy to own either of these, but I would prefer a swiss piece this time for the impression in business as many countries will be represented at the event. I know this isn't a super impressive price range, but trying to do the best I can. I also would prefer a swiss because I likely wont buy another watch in this style for awhile and I know if it's swiss and I like it, I wont question the purchase, whereas I might wonder what impression I may be giving with the other watches. I'm aware this may be a bit silly, but it would be easier for me to simply buy a swiss piece I like and be happy than to change my neurotic/ocd tendency :D.

The problem is I have come to the end of hours of searching for a similar look in a swiss piece in my price range and haven't come up with a single hit. Found some decent tissot and certina pieces, but they're a bit too casual/sporty for my aim, and the hands aren't as sharply angled. I've even searched higher end pieces out of my range and haven't seen the same look in a swiss. I feel like I must be missing something? Can anyone help me out with some suggestions I may be missing?

Hypothetically, if I can't find a swiss piece and end up sticking with a SARB or Orient Star, any opinions on which would be best for me based on the criteria above? Think they're both great, but leaning towards the orient star as my experience with orient has been a lot of value for the money, great in-house movements, and a lesser known brand globally (as far as I know) which I like. Also, as an orient fan, it would be my first orient star. I don't have much experience with Seiko other than what I've read and looked at online and they seem to be great. But again, would much prefer swiss!

Can you help me watchuseek, and save me hours of looking at the same stuff again :)? Thanks for reading!

Justin
    Last edited by siNdreAd; October 24th, 2013 at 19:42.

Re: Is there a Swiss version of the Seiko SARB series?

Have you seen the Tissot T Tempo?

Rusty427, swissgmt and CitizenM like this.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

Quote Originally Posted by siNdreAd View Post
    Hi gang-

Working at an international conference/event in Nov. and think this is a metal dress auto occasion, but I don't currently have one in my collection :)! I'm looking to purchase something on stainless steel (not a fan of gold atm). My price range is up to $1000, but it would have to be something really special, prefer closer to $600 - I'm fairly new to collecting and have mostly "value for the money" (under 1k) watches like Victorinox, Tissot, Orient, etc. I really like the clean, sharp look of the Seiko SARB series and the similar Orient Star Standard-Date. I think they're great watches and I'd be happy to own either of these, but I would prefer a swiss piece this time for the impression in business as many countries will be represented at the event.
    For what it is worth, it sounds like you have found some Japanese watches you really like but are looking for a Swiss equivalent to impress your peers. I would not get hung up on the country of origin as, frankly, most people won't notice your watch brand anyway unless they are WIS. If they are, they will be impressed by, say, a cool JDM piece like the Seiko "Cocktail Time". And you will come into $500 below your price limit.

At the end of the day, I would advise you to buy what you like.

If it has to be Swiss, try looking at some used Oris, perhaps in the Atelier line.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh, and here is one other cool watch I'm considering for a similar occasion: the Hamilton Intra Matic

http://wornandwound.com/2013/06/05/h...-matic-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Have you seen the Tissot T Tempo?
    Thanks! I checked out the T-classics but seem to have overlooked that one. I like it very much except am iffy about the angles where the bracelet meets the case (and if I'd want to shell out a bit more for the COSC version - it would be my first :D). I'll take a look at it more and see if I can get my hands on one at the dealer. In a pinch, I'd think the non-COSC version for < $500 with coupon would be a pretty satisfactory buy :). If you check back here, might you have seen one in person and have an opinion on the angles on the lug and the general fit and finish for the money, as well as the value of getting COSC (though COSC would certainly improve the impression, or at least my perception of the impression)?

Thanks again :)

Maybe a Hamilton Viewmatic...can be gotten for around 600 usd.
    Name:  jomashop_2267_256338792.gif
Views: 3341
Size:  20.9 KB
    AmirAli, CitizenM and ChiefWahoo like this.
    Frederique Constant Slim Line Auto
    Frederique Constant Classic Auto
    Hamilton Viewmatic Auto
    Hamilton Intra-matic Auto
    Hamilton 60's Thin Line Vintage
    Grand Seiko SBGR051
    Squale 1521
    RPaige Wrocket
    Citizen AT World Time Radio Controlled
    Sandoz Vintage Flag
    Howard Pocket Watch (Grandfathers)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Fierce View Post
    For what it is worth, it sounds like you have found some Japanese watches you really like but are looking for a Swiss equivalent to impress your peers. I would not get hung up on the country of origin as, frankly, most people won't notice your watch brand anyway unless they are WIS. If they are, they will be impressed by, say, a cool JDM piece like the Seiko "Cocktail Time". And you will come into $500 below your price limit.

At the end of the day, I would advise you to buy what you like.

If it has to be Swiss, try looking at some used Oris, perhaps in the Atelier line.
    Thanks Dr_Fierce,

It's true I do really like the Japanese watches. I think my main hang up is actually the impression the watch would give to non-WIS, i.e., in meetings and convos (close quarters) I think a non-WIS could see and instantly recognize SEIKO and equate it with a cheap, mass-market, Japanese brand, even though they make so many fantastic watches. Likewise, to a non-WIS I don't think seeing ORIENT would leave a favorable impression, though they would not be familiar. I know this is a bit silly and my own hang up - but if I find a swiss watch I like equally or better, then I wont give it a second thought.

I actually have wanted my next watch to be an Oris - originally dismissed the artelier date due to the second markings on the inner dial, and because it is at the top of my price range. Looking again, I think the second markings are small enough to not take away from the "elegance."

The first watch I looked at was the Oris Artix GT Day with the silver bezel, and am very fond of it, but think it's somewhat of a combination of a sport/dress watch and I don't need a casual watch atm. Perhaps in person I could better tell if it hits the mark for dress. 42mm is a bit large, but I have a large wrist and could possibly pull it off. And again, top of my range.

If I could find an artelier date used or in a jomashop flashsale etc. I'd almost certainly purchase the Oris. I will see what I can dig up!

Thanks for getting me to take a second look at it-
    Last edited by siNdreAd; October 24th, 2013 at 06:54.

Quote Originally Posted by overbudget View Post
    Maybe a Hamilton Viewmatic...can be gotten for around 600 usd.
    Thanks - my hang ups with the viewmatic were the H bracelet, and primarily the word "viewmatic" instead of automatic - but for the price, I think it warrants at least trying on at the AD.

If you like the Intra-matic, you would probably like the Junghans Max Bill range.

http://www.amazon.com/Junghans-Max-B...d_sim_sbs_hg_3
    Last edited by GlennO; October 24th, 2013 at 06:59.

Thanks, Glenn, but while I certainly don't want ostentatious, I find the intra-matic and the Junghans to be simple... looking for a little "bling" (and a bracelet).

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information