Is there a way to tell the "Grade" of Val7750 visually?

Thread: Is there a way to tell the "Grade" of Val7750 visually?

Is there a way to tell the "Grade" of Val7750 visually?

I read about differing grades of movements from Eta frequently. Is there a way to tell, say through a display back, what grade 7750 movement a watch has in it?
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Re: Is there a way to tell the "Grade" of Val7750 visually?

most eta movements that i have seen from respectable watch co. are silver in color.Others not so respectable i have seen gold tone eta.to me the gold tone eta is like a lower class.Just my two cents

stuffler,mike

Tough question, if you know the difference between an Etachron shock protection and an Incabloc shock protection, if you know the different look of a Glucydur balance in regards to a Ni balance you should tell..... TZ is a perfect place to investigate

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Tough question, if you know the difference between an Etachron shock protection and an Incabloc shock protection, if you know the different look of a Glucydur balance in regards to a Ni balance you should tell..... TZ is a perfect place to investigate
    Thanks. I asked over there and have gotten - well snide would be the right word - or uninformed answers thus far. I was hoping that there is a way to tell and from your post it would appear that there is even if it is a bit technically demanding to know.

The movement in quesiton reportedly has INCABLOC and NIVACOURBE shock absorbers, GLUCYDUR balance-wheel, NIVAROX I balance spring, and NIVAFLEX NO barrel spring. Would this be what you were referring to above?
    -Robert
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

stuffler,mike

Thats the way Id take it:

The "ingredients" you mentioned for sure are what Id call the "key components" of a "high grade" movement.
    I sum it up:
    Balance wheel: Glucydur vs Ni
    Hairspring: Nivarox 1 versus Nivarox 2 or Anachron (ETA)
    Mainspring and barrel material: Nivaflex NO vs Nivaflex NM
    Shock protection: Etachron vs Incabloc vs KIF.

Incabloc is more expensive than the Etachron shock protection and belongs to the "top" and "chronometre" grades of ETA.

NIVACOURBE is a patented spring treatment by ETA. The open spring end is treated with heat in order to prevent deformation of the spring in case of a shock. This treatment is named:
    ETA SA: "ETASTABLE"
    NIVAROX-FAR: 'NIVACOURBE"
    Most of the Mecaline-ETA-movements can be ordered with ETASTABLE if you are willing to add some $$. Certainly a "high end module".

Nivarox 1 ist the best quality of Nivarox (1-5 is available). 0...0,5 sec deviation within 24 h on a change of temperature of 1. Ive to admit: very technical thing.

The movement you described imho must be a "Top" or "Chronometre" movement. Are we talking MIDO ?
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; January 21st, 2007 at 22:17. Reason: Spelling

Thats the way Id take it:

The "ingredients" you mentioned for sure are what Id call the "key components" of a "high grade" movement.
    I sum it up:
    Balance wheel: Glucydur vs Ni
    Hairspring: Nivarox 1 versus Nivarox 2 or Anachron (ETA)
    Mainspring and barrel material: Nivaflex NO vs Nivaflex NM
    Shock protection: Etachron vs Incabloc vs KIF.

Incabloc is more expensive than the Etachron shock protection and belongs to the "top" and "chronometre" grades of ETA.

NIVACOURBE is a patented spring treatment by ETA. The open spring end is treated with heat in order to prevent deformation of the spring in case of a shock. This treatment is named:
    ETA SA: "ETASTABLE"
    NIVAROX-FAR: 'NIVACOURBE"
    Most of the Mecaline-ETA-movements can be ordered with ETASTABLE if you are willing to add some $$. Certainly a "high end module".

Nivarox 1 ist the best quality of Nivarox (1-5 is available). 0...0,5 sec deviation within 24 h on a change of temperature of 1. Ive to admit: very technical thing.

The movement you described imho must be a "Top" or "Chronometre" movement. Are we talking MIDO ?

Mike,

First off - thank you very much for the walk through on the components. I asked on TimeZone and got mostly smarta** comments. I truly appreciate your taking the time to take it bit by bit.

Second, to answer your question. Yes, these are the Mido Multifort Auto Chrono technical specifications. The Balance certainly looked different (rounded instead of flat is my best way of saying it - sorry for the lack of technical language on my part) as did other parts.

I'm amazed at the difference between this 7750 and the others I have seen and/or own. Even the list price for the Mido is not terrible in comparison to many 7750s at ~$1600 US (street prices as low as $1000 found).

I've been enjoying the watch and now will enjoy it even more as I know a little better what kind of movement and upgrades are under the hood.

-Robert
    -Robert

stuffler,mike

Hi Robert,

Enjoy your watch !!

Hi Robert,

Enjoy your watch !!
    Mike, again I have to say Danke for your throughful and informative posts to my often naive questions.

I have posted a review of the Mido, which includes much of what you offered, on the Affordables Forum.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=46610
    -Robert

Thread Information