Are these in the same class?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Are these in the same class?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I was just wondering about. Movado 2824-2 with chrono module,37 jewels Vs. Ebel cal. 137 chrono. Variety of each currently a steal at Movado outlets FYI. I honestly just came across these steals but I don't know what I am looking at really. I could not get pertinent search results. Thank you guys and happy new year.

Re: Are these in the same class?

In my opinion, the Ebel is the way to go. The 137 movement, has just been acquired by Ulyses Nardin and will be housed in watches costing waaaaay more than you'll pay for the Ebel. These won't be around long, so I'd jump at the Ebel over the Movado.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    In my opinion, the Ebel is the way to go. The 137 movement, has just been acquired by Ulyses Nardin and will be housed in watches costing waaaaay more than you'll pay for the Ebel. These won't be around long, so I'd jump at the Ebel over the Movado.
    Agreed, the Movado has a pretty generic movement, but the Ebel 137 is a very nice in-house chronograph movement. There is a nice Watchtime article on the Ebel BTR 1911 chronograph that you're considering.

http://watchtime.at/archive/wt_2007_...007_02_136.pdf
    GlennO and Gary123 like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Keep an eye on the tread about cost of servicing running right now.
    Gary123 likes this.

I agree with RBrylawski.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Thanks guys. I figured the Ebel was the way to go. I like the looks of the Movado better but they are a dime a dozen. Ebel was a serious watch, I did not know about anymore. However I think in house movements speaks of a real watchmaker. Did you guys know you can get a 10 grand Ebel at the mcs for like $1,700? you are right, try getting the Nardin for that. Sure, there are watches higher on my list but not with that type of discount. Even on the net the things are like $5k. I wish they had an Omega or IWC store lol. On the other hand for like $6k there is a $50k(!) Ebel that is really something. The only thing is I am not sure if I should buy that and laugh about the discount or get another speedy at full price. I am kind of standoffish about why the manufacturer is giving them away though.

Ebel is simply not that popular (at least among the male population) and big discounts are needed to move them. But for those in the know, the cal 137 has to be the best buy on the market at present if you're looking for a new very high quality chronograph. But not for much longer. Get one while you can if you find one you like.

The cost of service for the Ebel will be high but that's to be expected of an automatic chronograph. If you haven't already, take a look at their Discovery line. The use 7750 movements in those so service may not be as much in the future. The 1911 BTR's are very nice though. Get one of those on a bracelet and you've got yourself a really nice watch. One of the only things holding me back is the integrated lugs. They're very expensive to buy replacement straps for. If you want one though you better get one quickly. Ebel is exiting the manufacturing business and will no longer be producing mens watches.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Click HERE to visit my watch review channel

The 7750 I take it is not the same class as the 137? What about service and future value? Also, what about the Tekton? If you guys have positive answers to these questions I guess I will snag one Asap. The supply is already dwindling and this explains why the saleswoman said there will be no more. On a side note besides the Ebel aren't the high end Movado's a bargain at under a grand too? Thanks

Not the same class but reliable and easily serviced. You're really going all out if you're considering the Tekton - a big, amazing watch with a fantastic movement but definitely consider the service costs on that one. Movado make fine watches but I'd actually prefer a 7750 to a modular chrono with a 2824 base. Others might have different views.

A bit more reading on Ebel chrono history if you're interested:

http://www.fratellowatches.com/ebel-...t-rarely-seen/
    Last edited by GlennO; January 1st, 2013 at 11:16.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information