which of these watches would you buy? (Hamilton vs. Tissot. vs. Seiko vs. Frederique Constant) - Page 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: which of these watches would you buy? (Hamilton vs. Tissot. vs. Seiko vs. Frederique Constant)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: which of these watches would you buy? (Hamilton vs. Tissot. vs. Seiko vs. Fre...

My opinion:

1 Hamilton
    2 Tissot
    3 FC
    4 Seiko

i find that hamilton to be an extremely good looking watch. I like the textured dial and I think it is a versatile watch that you can wear quite often. The Tissot is my second choice because it is similar to the Hamilton, just don't love it as much as the Viewmatic. The FC and Seiko are just not my taste.

Re: which of these watches would you buy? (Hamilton vs. Tissot. vs. Seiko vs. Frederique Constant)

Quote Originally Posted by mastapro View Post
    Yes it is a Quartz watch. Honestly I don't even know what the difference btwn automatic and quartz is other than one doesn't require batteries. I'm basing my decisions purely on the aesthetics of the watches
    In that case, I really, really, REALLY, suggest that you read up on the difference and understand what you're buying. Most folks around here love mechanical watches, but many folks don't, or don't want to deal with them.

-- Mechanicals will only be accurate to a few seconds a day and will need to be reset
    -- If you don't wear it for a day or two it will stop (depending on its power reserve)
    -- It will require maintenance every, say, 5-8 years, that will run into the hundreds of dollars. (Or you can wear it until it breaks and throw it out in this price range - you might get 10 or 20 years, might get less...)
    Kluber likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Re: which of these watches would you buy? (Hamilton vs. Tissot. vs. Seiko vs. Fre...

Quote Originally Posted by mastapro View Post
    Glad to hear FC is respected cuz I personally never saw one but it is my favorite so far out of the group. I love the moonphase and I can't find another reputable brand under $1000 with that. I agree about the Seiko thing, the main problem is I feel like most people will think it's only worth <$100 because there are Seikos in that range. Hamilton, Tissot, and FC don't make lower end watches like that.
    Well then, get the FC.

I would check out some of FC's automatic models first as another member pointed out, and read up online about automatic and quartz just to get a basic understanding of watch movements. It may lean you one way or another.

For me, the Seiko comment has less to do with someone not recognizing your watch's worth and more to do with desiring watches that are just less common (less market saturated) but still nice quality.
    Last edited by Kluber; October 10th, 2014 at 23:41.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I guess I'm not a huge fan of those textured dials, but as far as looks go, the Seiko is my favorite.

The Seiko FTW here. Also in the same price range, consider the enamelled SARX019....
    Last edited by Domo; October 11th, 2014 at 01:45. Reason: I got a Seiko ref. no. wrong, would you believe it??

Re: which of these watches would you buy? (Hamilton vs. Tissot. vs. Seiko vs. Frederique Constant)

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    In that case, I really, really, REALLY, suggest that you read up on the difference and understand what you're buying. Most folks around here love mechanical watches, but many folks don't, or don't want to deal with them.

-- Mechanicals will only be accurate to a few seconds a day and will need to be reset
    -- If you don't wear it for a day or two it will stop (depending on its power reserve)
    -- It will require maintenance every, say, 5-8 years, that will run into the hundreds of dollars. (Or you can wear it until it breaks and throw it out in this price range - you might get 10 or 20 years, might get less...)
    I would echo the statement here, you need to decide quartz or auto first and foremost. If you decide to go quartz, you can potentially get a much nicer finished watch for the money as opposed to an auto (and you'll most likely pay much less for maintenance in the future).

If you decide to go auto and of those, I would go with the Seiko or Tissot for dressiness.

If you decide to go quartz, I would say save some major coin and go for a Seiko Dolce High Accuracy Quartz. These are a step below Seiko's top of the line, Grand Seiko, and use a super accurate, high-end quartz movement. I personally don't have one, but it would be my choice for dress in that price range:

Name:  42611d1174255684-my-new-seiko-sacm151-sbcj019-seiko-dolce-exeline-sacm151-021.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  48.2 KB
    Domo likes this.

The country I come from, is called the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchNut22 View Post
    Seiko.... Besides, anything with cocktail in the name has got to be a winner.
    It seems this watch is the result of a collaboration between Seiko and Japan's top bartender. There are three designs, cool (this one), dry, and sweet. See the details here:

Seiko Cocktail Time – SARB065 | Yeoman's Watch Review
    Last edited by Nicolas_Rieussec; October 11th, 2014 at 00:11. Reason: switched to present tense.
    WatchNut22 likes this.
    I looked at my watch || I looked at my wrist || I punched myself in the face with my fist -- B. Dylan

Would be SEIKO.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    I prefer the appearance of the Tissot. You stated you wanted it primarily for formal occasions. The Tissot is the most formal looking of the group and the Seiko the least but interchangeably so with the Hamilton. The FC would be #2 but complications like a moonphase are generally not considered to be as formal or dressy.
    While I know we have zero tastes that are similar how could you possible claim the Seiko is less formal than the FC? It's called a Cocktail for crying out loud, lol.

As to the question, I think there might be some other FC's in that price range worth looking at. Here I'd be torn between the Seiko and the Tissot and really it would come down to how you dress and how formal as the Tissot is a bit more classic. For me the Tissot's hands just don't work for me but completely a personal issue. The Hamilton with the numbers and indexes along with the date window removing the 3 just makes the dial too cluttered. I don't like that FC....not at all honestly.

fred constant

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information