Thin and light everyday watch - recommendations?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thin and light everyday watch - recommendations?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thin and light everyday watch - recommendations?

Hi - I am looking for advice - I want a thin watch I can use everyday - something that won't be too bulky (it is a comfort issue). I have several large watches and find them uncomfortable at times.

I assume it will be a hand-wound to keep it thin, though obviously an automatic would be fine/

I like modern designs and tend to prefer square watches. In terms of style, I like the Nomos Tetra, but it is quite small. I like some of the Stowa designs as well, but am not sure about how thick they are (the automatics I have seen appear to be thick).

I also tend to like watches with Arabic numerals (no Roman numerals).

As for budget, I would like to spend less than £1500, and preferably quite a bit less (since it is for every day use).

Any ideas?

Re: Thin and light everyday watch - recommendations?

Quartz is out?
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks nice - funny that I checked Kickstarter some weeks ago to see what was up with watches and didn't see anything interesting. Will check that one out (just wish it had numbers on the face, but that is not a huge issue). Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinPeacock View Post
    David8b likes this.

Didn't realize it was a quartz - seems to be decent value for a quartz, but i would prefer mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by evoman View Post
    Looks nice - funny that I checked Kickstarter some weeks ago to see what was up with watches and didn't see anything interesting. Will check that one out (just wish it had numbers on the face, but that is not a huge issue). Thanks for the heads up.

I would really prefer a mechanical - largely sentimental. I also have a quartz that sort of fits this niche, at least to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Quartz is out?

Inactive

Maybe a Hamilton Intra-matic...quite thin (about 8mm) and very versatile, style wise. I would say the silver dial with black leather strap would be the way to go - for every day wear. Very comfortable on the wrist as well.
    Name:  IMG_20130915_232744.JPG
Views: 1581
Size:  281.3 KB
    pantagruel likes this.
    Frederique Constant Slim Line Auto
    Frederique Constant Classic Auto
    Hamilton Viewmatic Auto
    Hamilton Intra-matic Auto
    Hamilton 60's Thin Line Vintage
    Grand Seiko SBGR051
    Squale 1521
    RPaige Wrocket
    Citizen AT World Time Radio Controlled
    Sandoz Vintage Flag
    Howard Pocket Watch (Grandfathers)

Muhle Glashutte's Teutonia II Quadrant Medium is 33mm x 33mm and 9.7mm thick so the width seems about right and at less than 10mm in height it's either on the thick side of thin or thin side of thicker depending how you look at it...It's about 1/3 taller than the Nomos, but it gets some extra credit for being an auto. This watch lists for £1730 or so, but if you can get a decent discount you'd be well under your cap:

Name:  3124_teutonia_kvadrant_medium3.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  115.1 KB

I'm not sure if either option qualifies as modern, but you could get a silver dial as well.

Stowa Partitio seems like a really good fit, case is 9.5mm, domed sapphire makes it 10.8mm, but case seems to be very nicely round-y and it's automatic. 62.5g on the strap. Black, Cream, or Special Manual Cream (images linked from stowa.de).

Stowa also has the Antea, in several case variations. The Antea 365 is 36.5mm in diameter, 8.1mm thick, great Soprod A10 movement (2892 clone I believe), and weighs in at a bantam weight 52gr. If there were a no date version, I'd be sorely tempted to flip my Nomos Orion for a destro-ized Antea 365.

Or, The Max Bill Automatic claims 38mm x 5mm, but have I doubts about that thickness. The manual one is listed as 34.2mm x 8.8mm. Both save weight by using plexiglass crystal, though. It'll be crazy light but you'll probably need to polish it every few weeks.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information