Thin, light mechanical with day/date

Thread: Thin, light mechanical with day/date

Question Thin, light mechanical with day/date

I've pretty much concluded that the watch I'm looking for doesn't exist, but I figured I'd throw it out anyway…

I'm looking for a thin, light, clean mechanical watch (manual or automatic, although manual would be ideal) with a day/date display:
    • Case Thickness: 4.5-8.5mm
    • Diameter: 34-38mm
    • Price Limit: $300
    • Condition: New or used. If there's some 30-year-old watch that pops up on ebay from time to time and fits my needs, I'm all over it.

For reference, this continues to be my favorite mechanical watch: A 1970s Cornavin/Luch ultra-thin. If it just had day/date, it would be absolutely perfect. It's about 5mm thick, about 37mm in diameter, and weighs pretty much nothing.

Attachment 1016354

There are some very nice thin and light manuals (although seemingly very few made after the 1980s), and there are plenty of affordable day/date watches, but they all seem to be quite thick and heavy. For instance, this Seiko SNK809K looks pretty nice, but at 13mm, that's quite a large hunk of metal to strap to my arm.

I'm aware that this may be an impossible request, as the day/date may simply necessitate too much complication for a thin watch (that doesn't cost $20,000), but it seems like there has to be something like this out there. The Seiko I referenced above could probably have shaved off a couple inches if they'd simply made it manual-winding, and it's not very expensive.
    Last edited by gordon9999; March 21st, 2013 at 04:39.

Re: Thin, light mechanical with day/date

For some reason day/date is extremely rare with hand winds, and autos all seem to be 11mm+ thick. The Hamilton Khaki field mechanical is an awesome looking, really light for ss, 38mm, 8mm thick, under $300 gray market hand wind, but it lacks the day display.

Quote Originally Posted by chesthing View Post
    For some reason day/date is extremely rare with hand winds, and autos all seem to be 11mm+ thick. The Hamilton Khaki field mechanical is an awesome looking, really light for ss, 38mm, 8mm thick, under $300 gray market hand wind, but it lacks the day display.
    This guy, I presume? That is indeed a very nice-looking watch, and major bonus points for the sapphire crystal.

It's hard to justify a day display ("If you don't even know the day of the week, why do you wear a watch?"), but it is useful when traveling internationally when I lose all sense of time and place - that's about it though, and I useful have my quartz day/date when traveling anyway…

Oh man, and under $300 from Amazon with free returns. So…tempting…

EDIT: Screw it, the free returns did me in and I ordered one from Amazon.
    Last edited by gordon9999; March 21st, 2013 at 05:26.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hamilton also has that watch with a black dial, model H69419933 - although the green dial is really nice too, I tried one on at an AD but wasn't about to pay $375. The black dial seems to go in and out of stock with Jomashop, right now it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by chesthing View Post
    Hamilton also has that watch with a black dial, model H69419933 - although the green dial is really nice too, I tried one on at an AD but wasn't about to pay $375. The black dial seems to go in and out of stock with Jomashop, right now it's out.
    White on black is generally my favorite watch color scheme, but the green one looks really nice, and the price was right, so I'm happy (or rather, we'll find out in a couple days when it arrives)

Day/date might be a problem but there are tons of vintage pieces with just a date window and considering you bought the Hamilton which has only date as well... For example, I got nice Seamaster for $130. Do what I do from time to time, open ebay, list all watches, select the criteria and just browse and browse I got some nice watches out of this.

Thread Information