Thin, simplistic, and affordable watch - Suggestions
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thin, simplistic, and affordable watch - Suggestions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thin, simplistic, and affordable watch - Suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if you guys would help me with my first watch purchase. I'll try to define what I'm looking for very clearly, which should hopefully lead to easier and better answers.

My preferences are:

• Thin - sub 8mm. Around 5mm is what I'm looking for.
    • Simplistic - All I want on the watch are the 3 hands, and a date dial. Ideally, instead of numbers or numerals, it would just be lines.
    • Affordable - sub 200$ is my budget. The lower, the better.
    • Small Size - My wrist is 6.5 inch, so I need a smaller watch than most people. 37 mm is a good size.
    • Quiet - I have very sensitive ears, so even small ticking sounds will irritate me. I originally had a Timex that drove me nuts until I returned it. This is a must.

Based on my own research, I found that Citizen watches were high quality and did not have any issues with sound. I gravitated towards the Stiletto line - namely, this one: AR1110-11H - CITIZEN ECO-DRIVE STILETTO LEATHER JAPAN SAPPHIRE 4.7mm ULTRA THIN WATCH $165.00

Attachment 1820938

However, the face is black and I would prefer a white face. There is a white version, but I can't find it anywhere for sale. I've also looked at Skagen watches, but I've heard mixed reviews about their quality. I've also looked at Mondaine watches, but I am looking for a more "formal" dress watch.

I am also not opposed to getting a used watch, but I have no idea where to find them/verify their authenticity, or even what to look for. Additionally, I've heard that vintage clocks usually have a louder movement.

I would appreciate any and all recommendations!

Re: Thin, simplistic, and affordable watch - Suggestions

Thin? Inexpensive? The classic Citizen Stiletto is a fine looking watch. If you can tolerate plastic, have you looked at Swatches (probably not for a dress watch)?

Note, "Simplistic" actually means "so simple that it won't work". Although I like mine a lot, due to no markings or second hand, many on WUS would say that a Movado Museum is literally "simplistic". Some of the quartz Museums are pretty thin. Maybe a Museum variant would work but you're probably back to a black dial again.

I agree that a Skagen is not the best choice for a watch but, they are thin and, if you buy one on sale, you won't have too much invested.

/* Splinter reminded me - it's not that Skagens are low quality so much as that they use odd straps (one thing that helps make them thin) and those straps (which wear out) can be more expensive than you'd expect */
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; October 26th, 2014 at 18:56.

I'd say keep searching for a Stiletto. Seiko SGEF87 is 37mm but not super thin. 7mm or 8mm depending on which website you believe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Skagens are thin, quiet, attractive, and as well built as anything in their price range. If you don't find a Citizen you like, you might look in that direction.

Skagen's proprietary lugs make it virtually impossible to attach aftermarket bands unless you get the genuine Skagen product. And being a dress watch (on leather), you will at some point be changing the strap. Like others have mentioned already, the Citizen Stiletto collection fits the bill perfectly.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

oooohhh ... I love those ! Is this still in productions ?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I'd say keep searching for a Stiletto. Seiko SGEF87 is 37mm but not super thin. 7mm or 8mm depending on which website you believe.

"Put .... A ... Grand ... On... It !"

Have a look on eBay for the Citizen Stilettos with a white dial, the model number is AR1110-02A. I was able to find mine on Amazon.de, but they don't seem to carry it at the moment.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Orient FGW01009B, 38mm, sapphire crystal, date, 7mm thick, literally $200 and a current model too, but no running seconds :(

Name:  552461d1320776044-respectable-stowa-nomos-homages-407048d1300563093-fs-orient-fgw0100aw-dress-wa.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  196.7 KB

FGW0100AW0 FGW0100AW GW0100AW | Orient Quartz Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Orient FGW01009B, 38mm, sapphire crystal, date, 7mm thick, literally $200 and a current model too, but no running seconds :(

Name:  552461d1320776044-respectable-stowa-nomos-homages-407048d1300563093-fs-orient-fgw0100aw-dress-wa.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  196.7 KB

FGW0100AW0 FGW0100AW GW0100AW | Orient Quartz Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA
    Orient's are difficult to beat for the price, no doubt. You won't hear the Timex tick, but be aware the rotor may be noisier than other brands, and if you have sensitive ears that may be an issue. If not, hard to go wrong!
    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

Maybe Obaku (Ingersoll) is your taste? I had one in the past, they're cheap & reliable watches....

OBAKU Denmark - Danish Design Watches, Zen Philosophy

Name:  OBAKU_2.JPG
Views: 1116
Size:  19.8 KB

Name:  titanium-ingersoll-obaku-watch--mens.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  obakuV133GCBSC-0fe60.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  18.4 KB
    Last edited by Inca Bloc; October 26th, 2014 at 10:25. Reason: added pictures
    Chronopolis and ken_sturrock like this.
    "Unum Non Satis"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information