Things you wished you knew?

Thread: Things you wished you knew?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Things you wished you knew?

Hi,
    Discovered WUS couple weeks and can't stop reading!!! This is my first post...

It seems like there are A LOT of seasoned watch collectors on this forum. Just curious, what are some of the things you wished you knew? Any regrets on some of your purchases? What are the things a new collector should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Things you wished you knew?

Off the top of my head:

1) Just because everyone else is telling you a certain watch is great, don't bow to peer pressure - get what you think matches your taste and style, not someone else's.

2) You can get some pretty good deals on the sales forums, but remember to "buy the seller", and if its too good to be true, it is.
    Lots of dive watches.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I'm pretty new to this game as well, but I've already learned one thing - if you really want a watch, and you have the money to afford it responsibly, and it's available at a decent price - jump on it.

Case Study 1 - Omega AD has a beautiful new 2254.50 for sale, last one, the watch has been discontinued. He offers it to me for $2000 CND, inclusive of taxes. That is an incredible deal, and this watch, a Seamaster, is one that I've wanted since I was quite young. I pass on it, because, at the last minute, I balk at spending $2000 on a watch. Other people don't understand why I would, so I convinced myself I shouldn't do it. I still regret that decision - and it's too late to rectify it, since, on my last pass through that AD the watch was gone. Oh well, on to bigger and better things.

Case Study 2 - Another Omega I've more recently fallen for is the Speedmaster. I found a vintage, '69 Speedmaster for sale locally. Loved it. Guy was going to sell it to me for $3000. A little much according to WUS. I also passed on that one as well. I don't regret the fact that I didn't buy it for the price he was asking, but I do regret that I didn't try to talk him down to a better price - the worst that could have happened would have been him saying no.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a lot of respect and admiration for our members who develop the skill and technical knowledge to service their own watches.
    Alas my failing eyesight and shaky hands have made that impossible for me now. Not that I ever really had the eye-hand coordination to do a good job.
    I have to pay for the service, but it's better than messing up my watches.
    My own bit of wisdom - never buy a Vintage watch that isn't in running condition.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

I wish I knew what I really wanted.

Wait, I STILL don't know what I really want.
    Chronic flipper...

i wish i was aware of the sales forum on this site as it woukd have save me quite a bunch of cash, but as stated earlier buy the seller not the watch! welcome to WUS and enjoy the hobby.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

beshannon

Quote Originally Posted by elyliu View Post
    Hi,

It seems like there are A LOT of seasoned watch collectors on this forum. Just curious, what are some of the things you wished you knew? Any regrets on some of your purchases? What are the things a new collector should watch out for?

Thanks in advance.
    Take everything you read on every forum with a huge grain of salt

Buy what you like and what you want, even if it means waiting

Never settle with a second choice

Quote Originally Posted by elyliu View Post
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    A sapphire crystal is a wonderful thing.
    I really hate when an otherwise beautiful dial is ruined by some ugly scratches on the crystal.

When you read on the internet about the accuracy of various mechanical watches, be very skeptical.
    Take those accuracy claims with a sizable grain of salt.
    Countless times I have heard claims of 5 seconds per month, or 1 second per week, etc......
    But after owning over 80 mechanical watches (Seiko, Citizen, Victorinox, Omega, Tissot, Oris, and others) I have never had even one that gained or loss less than 10 seconds per day.
    And most faired much worse at around 15-25 seconds per day.

I still love mechanical watches, but now days I'm much more realistic about their accuracy.
    Simply put:
    If you want accurate, buy quartz.

Straps (leather, nylon, and rubber) are more comfortable and easy to adjust than bracelets.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by neveronmonday View Post

A sapphire crystal is a wonderful thing...
    ...Straps (leather, nylon, and rubber) are more comfortable and easy to adjust than bracelets.
    Amen Brother!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information