Thinking about a 2nd watch and need some help/opinions!

View Poll Results: Which one should I get?

Voters
27. This poll is closed
  • 34mm Jaegar

1 3.70%
  • Master Control 1000

5 18.52%
  • Explorer 1016

5 18.52%
  • GMT 1650

7 25.93%
  • Jaegar Reverso

11 40.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Thinking about a 2nd watch and need some help/opinions!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about a 2nd watch and need some help/opinions!

Hello everyone just a little bit about me first I am a 26 year old male I currently have an Omega Speedmaster Professional Man on the Moon watch. I am looking to add to my collection and I am in between a few different watch companies as well as different models. I am looking into a few Vintage Rolex watches such as the 1675 GMT,and/or the Explorer 1016. Although on the other hand I am looking at a few Jaegar LeCoultre time pieces as well such as the Master Ultra Thin 34mm ref 145.840, Master Control 1000 Hours 148.8.9, and lastly a Reverso of some sort.

I Want a watch I can wear everyday and thoroughly enjoy. I love the History of an old Vintage Rolex as I feel they are a bit more Sturdy and durable as well as full of history. And on the other hand the Jaeger watches are super classy and timeless as well. My budget is somewhat low as well haha under 6,000 preferably.

So any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for your time.
    Name:  2535944d_xxl.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  91.8 KB
    Name:  2521639_xxl.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  96.2 KB
    Name:  2512691_xxl.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  127.2 KB
    Name:  P1130446.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  109.1 KB
    Name:  2545593gross.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  45.1 KB
    Last edited by qazeqaz; October 6th, 2013 at 21:27.

Re: Thinking about a 2nd watch and need some help/opinions!

I don't have a JLC....But, I wore a Rolex GMT for 45 years.....I wore it Scuba diving,Sky diving,in combat,in jungles of
    Central America and in Rhodesia......In all those years and all those places, it never failed....So, you might say that
    I think it's the best watch on Earth. I own others, but if I need one watch that I think can take anything....Rolex.
    I now own a GMT IIc.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

May I ask what happened to your previously mentioned GMT?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd go for the Rolex Explorer. However, I would opt for the new 39mm version. It's an extremely versatile watch and has a fun history (Hillary & Norgay/Mt. Everest; Ian Fleming/Bond)... JLC are great watches, but are a bit dressy to be nearly so practical for most 26 year olds. The Explorer can go from the business suit to the beach without any issue...
    Last edited by mpalmer; October 6th, 2013 at 23:13.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Oldest Son lost it on vacation in Mexico.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Out of those, I like the Reverso. It has a neat history and comes from a company that has made a ton of true innovations in the watch industry and is always pushing the limits in horology. Those are also getting into real high-end watches.

On a side note, is the Explorer in the picture fake or is that just indicative of Rolex's quality? I know the older Rolexes weren't great, but misapplied markings and imprecise endlinks on that one seem particularly egregious.

Before you go vintage, I'd recommend learning as much as you can about them. The value in vintage is largely to do with originality.

The Explorer looks re-dialed ( or re-lumed) which would significantly reduce the value from a vintage collectors standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    Before you go vintage, I'd recommend learning as much as you can about them. The value in vintage is largely to do with originality.

The Explorer looks re-dialed ( or re-lumed) which would significantly reduce the value from a vintage collectors standpoint.
    Thank you for your input and opinion on this, while looking into all these watches I did happen to overlook some of these simple things.

I am sorry to say but your selection is all over the place. First, decide what you need. A dress watch or a sports watch.

If you need a dress watch, both of your selections are amongst the best.

If you need an everyday watch, then that GMT will do the job.

Indeed they are all over the place I will admit haha. I want both (dress and "daily beater") I have a Speedmaster and I love the history behind it, hence the reason I don't care to scratch it up. History behind the Explorer is awesome (James Bond, Ian Flemming, Everest)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information