Thinking about the Soarway Diver blue face

Thread: Thinking about the Soarway Diver blue face

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking about the Soarway Diver blue face

Hi friends. It's been a long time since my last thread and this time I would like your help and advice because I want a blue face watch for the summer and I've been thinking about getting the blue face SD. I've been thinking about it a lot because IMHO is a bit expensive ($3,750.00) not having any complications, but honestly it looks great even more for me that love boating and diving a lot. Please help out in this one to decide whether or not to buy it because there are other cheaper but nice options in the market. The other day I checked out the Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue face ($1,595.00) and almost bought it today through E...y but when asked my girlfriend she said the SD looked a lot nicer and then my suffering began Help please!!!

PD: Pictures (lots of them) would be appreciated too...

Re: Thinking about the Soarway Diver blue face

I had a blue faced Soarway that I sold to my Dad to fund my Phantom. I loved it, in fact, I have told him that I am buying it back from him as soon as I can afford it. To me, it is one of the most underrated/talked about Kobolds out there. Very comfortable, the blue dial is amazing, and reliable/tough as can be. I almost always wore it on the bracelet, but looks good on leather and zulus too.

As far as Kobold vs. Tag, I don't really get into pricing discussions because it is all so relative. The cost of a watch is what it is and either it is worth it to you or not. Tag makes a great watch (I have one) but I also see a Tag pretty much every day. The thing about Kobold to me, is the story, the folks in this forum, and the fact that every professional who makes a few bucks and decides he wants a nice watch doesn't own one. You don't have to be an horolagist (sp?) to appreciate Kobold, but you have to at least be paying attention to fine watches and not just buying what friends or a magazine told you to buy.
    Kobold Phantom Semi Tactical
    Kobold Seal
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Swiss Army Nightvision (FS)
    Tag Heuer Aqua sport 2000

I have often thought of the blue one as well. kobold does blue beautifully. the 2892 is a great movement. the case is really well done. mine is always on a zulu, and i wear it every day. on the blue though i would prefer a non date which i don't believe is possible--for me the date clashes on the blue diver--i'll shut up-- here are some pics. still miss the blue one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by jadamo; March 18th, 2010 at 05:51. Reason: add a pic
    Ora et Labora

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Kev

I just put the blue Soarway diver on tonight. I'll take/post some pics tomorrow and also post some thoughts. I've never owned a Tag and am a bit biased toward Kobold, but I'll try to help.

Kev.

GGD

Quote Originally Posted by Watchesnboats View Post
    The thing about Kobold to me, is the story, the folks in this forum, and the fact that every professional who makes a few bucks and decides he wants a nice watch doesn't own one. You don't have to be an horolagist (sp?) to appreciate Kobold, but you have to at least be paying attention to fine watches and not just buying what friends or a magazine told you to buy.
    100%.... I like the way you put that

I have long considered the blue dialed Soarway Diver. From questions I posed on this forum, everyone who owns one or who has seen one has loved the particular colour of blue that you get on that watch. Plus you have a nice balance of polished and brushed surfaces, a thinner case than many of the chunkier options out there, and the very reliable and proven 2892 movement.

A good choice, I'd be happy to buy one if I had the brass.

Chris

heb

Hello,

Asthetically, I think the Soarway Diver is probably the best looking "sports watch" on the market. And if we learn anything from the world of wristwatches (and just about all other worlds), "asthetics" COST A LOT.

Five years ago or so, I thought its price was way out of line, but I don't think so now. Today, you just have to make a fancy case with a leather strap mind you, and throw in a pedestrian ETA 2824, which is claimed to be "adjusted to 4 positions" and you're at $2500 to $3000 MINIMUM. With the Kobold you get a quality ETA 2892 movement, a nice bracelet, and a great looking watch for essentially the same cost. Go figure.

heb

Kev

Here are my thoughts. The SD has to be the most comfortable Kobold out there. The endlinks transition into the bracelet more seemlessly than other Kobold models (i.e. there is much less bracelet drop). The dial is gorgeous. The second hand is actually very cool, it appears to almost meet the wall of the case. The lume on the dial is slight, but the hands and pip are very legible. I love the mix of polished and brushed SS bits. The bezel isn't quite as legible as some other models because the bezel is thinner and engraved (v. inlay). I think the date is well executed and doesn't take away from the dial. The crown is a bit large compared to the rest of the case. However, it is super easy to manipulate. The dial is really, really nice. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for giving me an excuse to nick this watch from my wife! More new pics tonight. Here are some older ones I found.

Kev.
    Last edited by Kev; March 18th, 2010 at 18:28.

Don't get me wrong, the Tag is a nice watch. But there is a visceral feeling you have with the SD blue dial. It's almost hypnotic.
    -luke

I have had two blue faced watches, the Kobold SD and a Sinn 203 Arktis. Similar size, with the Sinn being taller due to the movement.
    Both are gone. I kept the Sinn much longer than the SD.
    If complications are what you desire, the Sinn 203 has more. They are similarly priced on the second hand market. I think the Sinn blue is much deeper than the Kobold, which was almost a blue/grey to me.
    Sorry guys...I know you expected a different answer from me.
    Be well,
    Darin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information