Thinking of getting an inexpensive "try-out" watch: good or bad idea?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thinking of getting an inexpensive "try-out" watch: good or bad idea?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking of getting an inexpensive "try-out" watch: good or bad idea?

So I'm pretty sure my next watch will be a leather strap dress watch, probably in the 5000-6000 dollar range (JLC Master Control is my top choice).

One hesitation I have is I have no owned nor worn a leather-strap watch in probably 20 years or so. So I'm not too sure if I'll like it and such. I'm thinking of getting a VERY inexpensive leather strap dress watch (like an Orient Bambino or something), and trying that out for maybe a couple of weeks to see how I acclimate to the leather strap and if the dressier watch works for me.

The other option would be just to go used and flip if I don't like it, but even that's a bit of a pain in the arse when you are talking about something that's probably going to be $4000 or so used.

Opinions on this?

Re: Thinking of getting an inexpensive "try-out" watch: good or bad idea?

i'm about to receive a Bambino, I've heard that leather straps have to be broken in to be comfortable so your experience may be skewed out of the box.
    that said, i'll tell you whether it's comfortable enough compared to a bracelet or not when i get it. my advice would be to just buy a strap for an existing watch though.
    Last edited by TooPoorForThis; May 18th, 2014 at 05:02. Reason: typos. a lot of them.

I think the strap on the JLC will be of a much higher quality. Costing more than the Orient Watch⌚⌚⌚

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by acello27 View Post
    I think the strap on the JLC will be of a much higher quality. Costing more than the Orient Watch⌚⌚⌚
    Yea that's a good point. Maybe I'll get a nice strap instead and put it on one of my existing watches as someone suggested.

When I got my seiko, I put it on a Hirsch strap, and it went from a plasticky uncomfortable pos, to a watch I couldn't believe. Point is, the leather makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    sscully and Time Check like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    Yea that's a good point. Maybe I'll get a nice strap instead and put it on one of my existing watches as someone suggested.
    This seems like a better option, unless you could purchase the Bambino or Union from Orient, wear it for a bit, and gift it to a friend or family member afterwards!
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

As I was reading the thread, I am looking at my Mondaine weekend beater on my wrist, that I just put a new Hirsch strap on.
    - Feels nice and broken in day one.

As suggested above, get a decent leather strap, and try it out on a watch you have, that is close in size to the one you are looking at.
    I am Hirsch for quite a few straps now. I even changed my factory leather strap on my Raymond Weil day one to a Hirsch.

I now only have 1 bracelet left installed, on my Explorer II, and I have not had that watch out of the case for 3 weeks ( +?? )

It has been all leather straps or Rubber straps ( GMT Master and SD on RubberB ) as of late.

Strange how things changed for me, the past year going from almost all bracelet to all ( excluding one ) strap of one kind or another.

The 2 new ones in process, one is an ISOFrane and the other is getting a Hadley Roma Rubber tropical rubber drive strap on it.

for every 'expensive' watch I have, there was a homage before it to confirm that it fit and sat well on my wrist.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

If you've never had a dressy watch on a leather strap before, then it is certainly worth buying an inexpensive dress watch on a leather strap to see how it works with your needs.

Consider getting the $375 Beijing Beihai 2.0 watch, with the SB18 manual wind movement that has blued screws and gold chatons. It comes on a decent lizard leather strap, and is a beautiful watch in its own right.

Beijing Beihai 2.0 SB18 manual hand-winding mechanical watch

Another nice option is the Orient Star Classic EL05004W,

which is aesthetically very similar to my Orient 60th Anniversary Limited Edition.

Last edited by mleok; May 18th, 2014 at 09:16.
    geoffbot likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I would suggest looking at the watches you have, determine which looks best on a strap and get a quality strap for it. Two things happen, you get a experience a quality strap since cheap straps are usually uncomfortable for at least a short time if not forever AND you get to have it on a watch you already know how it feels on a bracelet so you get a direct comparison to a bracelet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information