Thomas Prescher Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon

Thread: Thomas Prescher Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gift Thomas Prescher Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon

Would anyone care to venture a guess what this watch costs? Am I setting my sights too high? Maybe someone wants to be my sugar daddy??? I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a Thomas Prescher Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon today!

-T

So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Re: Thomas Prescher Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon

I'll venture, 139K USD.

Banned

Goddamn ugly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Goddamn ugly.
    Form follows function. The two sides of the watch are vertical standing main plates and all of the watch mechanism is contained within the two sides of the watch. The automatic winding is done via a horizontal rotating oscillating that also shows the calendar. The only thing you see moving is the two-axis Tourbillon. This watch has a lot of watchmaking firsts going on in it.

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    Form follows function. The two sides of the watch are vertical standing main plates and all of the watch mechanism is contained within the two sides of the watch. The automatic winding is done via a horizontal rotating oscillating that also shows the calendar. The only thing you see moving is the two-axis Tourbillon. This watch has a lot of watchmaking firsts going on in it.

-T
    Form follows function?? It's an impressive sounding phrase but clearly it is not in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Form follows function?? It's an impressive sounding phrase but clearly it is not in that case.
    Your saying the watch is clearly not in the category of form follows function? (Not quite sure of the meaning of your statement, but I think that is what you are trying to say.) I disagree. The meaning of the principle is that the design of an object is based upon its purpose. Mr. Prescher set a couple of goals for himself that had never been accomplished before and that was his purpose in designing this watch. This particular watch is what he came up with but it isn't an exclusive solution. The aesthetics of the completed watch were not the primary consideration. Beauty is open to interpretation, but the form of the design isn't subjective -- it either meets or doesn't meet the design goals.

In short, yeah the watch case is boxy. But when you understand that the inner sides of the case are actually the main plates of the watch, the boxy proportion becomes more understandable. The beauty lies in the fact that the only thing you see moving in this watch is the tourbillon mechanism. That is neat and beautiful in its own way.

-T

Hmmm - I find it interesting from a theoretical design point of view. However if you consider that the function of a watch is to (1) fit comfortably on a wrist and (2) tell the time in a readable (and aesthetic) way; then I would have to judge that this fails on both counts. It does succeed on the hidden agenda (3) to impress all the watch nerds who might notice how weird it is!

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Hmmm - I find it interesting from a theoretical design point of view. However if you consider that the function of a watch is to (1) fit comfortably on a wrist and (2) tell the time in a readable (and aesthetic) way; then I would have to judge that this fails on both counts. It does succeed on the hidden agenda (3) to impress all the watch nerds who might notice how weird it is!
    Telling the time wasn't the only goal. His goal was to design a watch with hour, minute, date, month, and moonphase in a mystery mechanism where the only visible moving part was the tourbillon.

So your only reason for buying a watch is to tell the time from your wrist comfortably? What are you spending all this money on then??? Haven't you found one of those yet?

-T

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    Your saying the watch is clearly not in the category of form follows function? (Not quite sure of the meaning of your statement, but I think that is what you are trying to say.) I disagree. The meaning of the principle is that the design of an object is based upon its purpose. Mr. Prescher set a couple of goals for himself that had never been accomplished before and that was his purpose in designing this watch. This particular watch is what he came up with but it isn't an exclusive solution. The aesthetics of the completed watch were not the primary consideration. Beauty is open to interpretation, but the form of the design isn't subjective -- it either meets or doesn't meet the design goals.

In short, yeah the watch case is boxy. But when you understand that the inner sides of the case are actually the main plates of the watch, the boxy proportion becomes more understandable. The beauty lies in the fact that the only thing you see moving in this watch is the tourbillon mechanism. That is neat and beautiful in its own way.

-T
    Please pardon my sentence. I re-read it and came away confused.

I understand the concept of form following function and it's origin in architecture. Two fundamental functions or purposes of a watch are to track the passage of time accurately and present the information to the owner in a display that is easily understood at a glance. The watch fails both. The watchmaker added a dual axis tourbillon that does nothing to improve on accuracy from other movements that are both less complicated and far less expensive. The watchmaker then compounds his mistake by making turning the escapement into a centerpiece of eye candy and pushing poorly designed timekeeping displays to the outside. By pushing most of the works to the perimeter he makes the case needlessly large and misshaped. Watches can also provide visual pleasure to the owner. It might be fun to ponder things like the usefulness of a rotating tourbillon, how much work it took to move the components around and figure out how to read the time display while savoring a cappucino a lazy saturday morning. It's really nothing more than an expensive, poorly shaped timekeeper that is designed to be viewed on display rather than worn.
    Last edited by John MS; December 6th, 2010 at 15:24.

Haf

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Just how exactly can you back up the assumption(?) that this watch fails to comfortably fit on one's wrist? It looks like an ordinary tank watch, nothing special.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information