Those Swatch guys are smart...
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Those Swatch guys are smart...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Those Swatch guys are smart...

(and the Swatch gals too).

Yesterday afternoon I ran up to the Home Depot to grab a pack of molly bolts and I became aware of 20 something guy looking for some wood screws and on his arm was what looked like a Sistem51 (black). So rather than take a surreptitious photo of the guy and his wrist I simply asked "Is that a Sistem51?" Now this guy was no WIS, really not even particularly conversant with watches, but man o man was he ever ENTHUSIASTIC about that watch. After he sais yes, and I said that I hadn't seen one in person before, he proceeded to give me quite a sales pitch about the watch - seems it had some sort of new and really cool mechanical winding system and "never needs a new battery!" He gave an (slightly off kilter) history of Swatch and their innovation in watch making, told me all about the Swatch store in North Park Mall ("These are their top of the line") and so on.

Now here is the best part - another young 20 something guy close by eventually came over, asked to look at the watch and was really paying attention to this guy. We all went our own ways but I know that second guy was intrigued, and I also know that every friend of that first guy has gotten/will get a similar sales pitch.

I thought the 20 something males they were aiming at would be totally unimpressed with that watch. Guess that new fangled system of gears and springs appeals to the tech obsessed post-teenage brain. I wonder if there is an untapped market for phones that plug into walls?
    mleok, DVNE, Ahriman4891 and 6 others like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Those Swatch guys are smart...

Funny story. Sounds like he is a WIS in the making. I really like my Sistem 51.
    NiceGuyTom likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

I had said prior to the Sistem51's launch that maybe they'll find that green-minded people would like how they never need batteries.

And besides, we're carrying around so much other electronic junk that has to get plugged in to a charger twice a day, it'd be nice to have a daily-use device that doesn't need that tether.

What I think would be funny is, if the non-luxury wristwatch market will split into inexpensive mechanicals and smartwatches.
    Robotaz likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    (and the Swatch gals too).

Yesterday afternoon I ran up to the Home Depot to grab a pack of molly bolts and I became aware of 20 something guy looking for some wood screws and on his arm was what looked like a Sistem51 (black). So rather than take a surreptitious photo of the guy and his wrist I simply asked "Is that a Sistem51?" Now this guy was no WIS, really not even particularly conversant with watches, but man o man was he ever ENTHUSIASTIC about that watch. After he sais yes, and I said that I hadn't seen one in person before, he proceeded to give me quite a sales pitch about the watch - seems it had some sort of new and really cool mechanical winding system and "never needs a new battery!" He gave an (slightly off kilter) history of Swatch and their innovation in watch making, told me all about the Swatch store in North Park Mall ("These are their top of the line") and so on.

Now here is the best part - another young 20 something guy close by eventually came over, asked to look at the watch and was really paying attention to this guy. We all went our own ways but I know that second guy was intrigued, and I also know that every friend of that first guy has gotten/will get a similar sales pitch.

I thought the 20 something males they were aiming at would be totally unimpressed with that watch. Guess that new fangled system of gears and springs appeals to the tech obsessed post-teenage brain. I wonder if there is an untapped market for phones that plug into walls?
    Review: A trip inside the Swatch Sistem51 / ETA C10111 | Watch Guy

Great review on the entirety of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    I had said prior to the Sistem51's launch that maybe they'll find that green-minded people would like how they never need batteries.
    It's funny that watches that don't need batteries now look like some space age revolutionary invention to young people :)

I've always thought that manufacturers aren't exploiting the environment advantages of mechanical watches. No toxic batteries, renewable energy source, and in many cases they have a very long useful life being repairable rather than disposable junk.
    BarracksSi and FrozenTime like this.

Indeed, it's awesome and funny and works really well.

I know I'm dating myself, but I think the younger generations don't seem to have the aversion to "plastic," that some of us codgers have. They've come of age in a world that is pretty much built on it, and it doesn't seem to have the stigma that my generation attributes to it. Just an idea.
    Donf and Robotaz like this.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Depends, doesn't it.

I am a 20 something and I am not impressed by it, and don't like plastic.
    One watch, many opinions.

watchcrank, Synequano and brandon\ like this.

I have always seen Seiko as good about having low price point watches as well as aspirational lines. Get them early and keep them hooked, Swatch Group has pushed even farther from Flik Flak for kids all the way up to Haute Horology though the connection is less apparent than Seiko given the different names.

Not sure the "green" aspect really plays since watches are redundant for anyone with a phone so no matter how green the production and use of the watch is it is essential all waste for someone who carries a phone. A vintage mechanical probably has the least impact on the environment since it only carries the footprint of the maintenance requirements. In the end many people care more about the green "label" compared to the actually greenness of a product.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information