For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...(and for those who appreciate)
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...(and for those who appreciate)

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...(and for those who appreciate)

One may or may not like their stuff...but one cannot say that they are not a powerhouse. These are some older articles but its like the luxury car thing...concept cars are made to show one can and has the panache to :)

IN-DEPTH: Introducing The Cartier ID Two Concept Watch, Watchmaking

Cartier ID Two Concept Watch: Goodbye Metal | aBlogtoWatch

Cartier ID2 by JAMES DOWLING - TimeZone

"With the ID Two, Cartier opens the way for fundamental changes for watchmaking: higher efficiency means many improvements, such as miniaturisation, increased autonomy without increasing the volume, durability, more complications and of course improved chronometry.In my opinion, Cartier has opened a new chapter in the history of mechanical watchmaking."

Name:  ID2_Web-32.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  207.6 KB
    Last edited by mikeylacroix; June 22nd, 2014 at 05:50.
    brandon\ and ken_sturrock like this.

Re: For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...

Cartier has a long history of making watches.

I don't know who disses Cartier as not being a serious watchmaker but the only ones who could make such a claim would have to be high-end watchmakers who charge more for their watches than Cartier.
    rfortson and thewatchsnobs like this.
    newb watch collector/high-end watch admirer

Re: For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...(and for those who appreciate)

It's pretty obvious to me that Cartier is a proper watchmaker, really. They invented the modern wristwatch (Cartier Santos, 1904). I don't see what the fuss is all about over watch companies not being 'real' if they make something other than watches.

To use a different example, Breguet makes very fine pens.
    Does that make Breguet a luxury pen maker? Yes.
    Are they also a luxury watch maker? Obviously.

A company can make more than one product line, there's no rule that says it can't be done.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: For those who diss Cartier as not being a proper watchmaker...(and for those who appreciate)

Cartier makes some fascinating pieces at the mid-high end range. Their entry level ETA pieces.. not that much.

I am continually surprised by how many WIS types don't know Cartier's place in the history of watchmaking.

I admire that Cartier watches have a distinct look to them, but for the most part I can't say that look does much for me.
    TristanZ

Audemars Piguet Bernhardt Breitling Corum JeanRichard Elgin Eterna Gerald Genta Hamilton
    IWC Jaeger-LeCoultre
    Omega Rolex Seiko Timex Vache
    ron Constantin Zenith

Horologium manuale meum stitit.

After I started selling them for awhile, I became a fan.
    thewatchsnobs likes this.

I love Cartier.

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    Cartier makes some fascinating pieces at the mid-high end range. Their entry level ETA pieces.. not that much.
    Their Opening price point product lines are not really tailor for WIS like you and I, the lady's quartz tank is a major cash cow for them as far as I can see. My mom has one for the longest time, it's dependable(quartz), light, fairly priced, fashionable and have a very high brand recognition with their jewelry line.

Goes without saying Richemont can really pump money into their high end R&D project, their booth at the W&W last year was very impressive, more so than the many of their sister brands such as panerai
    Last edited by iam7head; June 22nd, 2014 at 07:32.

I think the Calibre de Cartier watches are butt-ugly (those dials, bleh), but I can appreciate the watchcraft behind them. I lust for a tank anglaise, however.

I like Cartier. I'd definetly wear one of their unisex/men dress watches. With one or two exceptions, even their bottom of line ETA quartz pieces are nice enough - the quality of the dials and cases are very very pretty.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information