For those of you who made "The Conversion" from many affordables to one or two more expensive
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Donf

Thread: For those of you who made "The Conversion" from many affordables to one or two more expensive

For those of you who made "The Conversion" from many affordables to one or two more expensive

... Just curious about what you did with your many affordables.

My collection is around the 15 range now. I have a rotation of watches I really enjoy and have grown attached to. To the point where if I've gone longer than a week without wearing one of them I really like, it kind of plays on my mind and I really want to get it out of the watch drawer and onto the wrist.

But once you move to that next level and get a grail -- a Rolex, Omega Speedmaster Professional, or whatever -- something that's going to dominate your wrist time, do you lose that attachment you once had to your several affordables? Does it just dwindle down to the one or two of the old affordables you really liked the most? How does wrist-time for them change?

Also, post-grail purchase, what percentage of your several affordables did you get rid of? What made you decide to keep the ones you did?

Re: For those of you who made "The Conversion" from many affordables to one or two more expensive

Well I have 17 watches, and other than a couple I've broken/lost, they are all the watches I've ever owned (not counting as a child). I've not sold any watch before. And I wear my Timex four days a week due to my job.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Re: For those of you who made "The Conversion" from many affordables to one or two more expensive

I don't really think about cost. I think about how much I like it. Cost is only incidental. The watch I currently wear the most is actually my least expensive.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What did I do with my 'affodables" when i moved up the ladder a bit? I gave them to my children (boys). What happened to them after that is not for the faint of heart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never sold any of my watch,I had a grail since 2012,but once I had a chance to try it,I kinda lost interest because it's too big,then I found the (more expensive,more unique) cousin of my previous grail at reasonable price,and since I got it..it robbed the wrist time from my other watches,it's been on my wrist since Dec 11 2014 until now

I still have my Gshocks and wear them sparingly if I feel like I'm going to do an activity that might harm any of my good watches

I have around 12 Panerais,5 Tags,4 Rolexes,2 Seikos,1 Cartier and 1 Omega

I flipped them all. I can't say I am down to one or two nice ones, but maybe 5 or 6. I will continue to collect what I find interesting in the affordable range and likely flip a small lot of them for something grander when it strikes my fancy, and start over. I believe that is why they call it "building" a collection ;) . The one or two affordables I do keep are for traveling to plants and being around equipment, or going to seedier areas in my travels for business. They are still nice watches and fun to wear, just not something I would be heartbroken over if something bad happened to them.

mav

I have 4 Omegas, then brought a bunch of affordables to fill up my watch box. I rarely wore any of them, as I appreciated my Omegas much more for their higher quality, finish, design, performance, etc. I ended up selling all of them, except for a blue Autodromo Prototipo, which is an awesome watch IMO, and downsized my collection considerably.
    Last edited by mav; April 1st, 2015 at 01:57.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

Kept them all but my BLNR gets 85% of my wrist time, my OSD 12% and my Visodate 3% (in fact all 3 were worn within the last 72 hours) and two I just don't wear.

If/when I get my Rolex EXP II Polar the OSD may get kicked to the curb... but I do still like it, so maybe not.
    Last edited by Tseg; April 1st, 2015 at 03:37.

Thread Information