WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Thoughts on Cartier Tank Solo for men?

19K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  H3O+ 
#1 ·
Stopped by a Cartier AD today and tried on a few wristwatches.. ended up really loving a large Tank Solo on black crocodile, which perfectly matches my wife's small Tank Solo.

Very versatile watch, timeless classic looks, and I was surprised to see how well it went dressed down over the weekend. Going to stop in again tomorrow and try her with a suit.

Any thoughts on this watch? I wasn't really considering getting a new quartz, though I was surprised to find I much preferred the Solo on a black croc than a classic Tank Francaise automatic on stainless steel band. Also prefer the more modern rectangular case to the more square Francaise.

Is this watch considered fairly unisex? Wondering how it may look with my wife and I sporting the same watch.. !

cheers,
elapsed

See less See more
#3 ·
My daily wearer is an IWC Portuguese 7-day, so I am looking for an elegant watch to wear occasionally with a suit or tuxedo, but versatile enough to wear with jeans. I would definitely consider the small Tank Solo to be feminine, however the larger Tank watches I think are perfectly unisex. The trend is going back towards smaller watches, though the Tank transcends time

cheers,
elapsed

#4 ·
A really nice choice.
One of the classier watches there is!

#6 · (Edited)
i have one of those. parents passed one on to me. i can't be sure whose it is. i also can't be sure which model tank but i'm sure it's a tank. yellow gold and light brown leather strap w/ date and auto. i think that combo is more wearable w/ jeans than black/ stainless particularly if you're dark.

i haven't actually bought any of my cartiers but if i were to buy my first one i'd get a santos dumont. it looks amazing. square faced, masculine, manual wind.

here's the one i liked in particular. perfect with a suit.

a lot of people may like this more. my uncle has one. he's a huge cartier fan.

i just googled those so maybe they're pics of fakes but i think the cartier website has them too.

#12 ·
i'd actually get a frederique constant art deco before that particular cartier. it's auto, has a date, and is cheaper. then i'd save for a patek gondolo or a gp vintage 1945/ richeville. the reverso while my first love i find a little gimmicky now. i love these types of watches so i'm willing to spend the most on them compared to any other watch type.

#14 ·
The classic Cartier Tank is the bar by which all other dress watches are judged. Go for it. And it being quartz just adds convenience (and since the watch does not have a second hand anyway, you're not missing much).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.