Thoughts on D1 Milano Ultra Thin?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Thoughts on D1 Milano Ultra Thin?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on D1 Milano Ultra Thin?

I will be turning 18 in a few months and I'm getting a watch to commemorate the same. For as long as I can remember, I've had my eyes on the D1 Milano Ultra Thin on a steel bracelet. It's a real stunner, but I've never held one. Does anyone here have one, or has seen one? What are your thoughts?
    $300 for a watch is a hell lot of money where I live, so this will probably be my last watch for a couple of years. So it has to be good. If you have any alternatives (on a bracelet, ~40mm, clean dial) please let me know.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ady7_ View Post
    I will be turning 18 in a few months and I'm getting a watch to commemorate the same. For as long as I can remember, I've had my eyes on the D1 Milano Ultra Thin on a steel bracelet. It's a real stunner, but I've never held one. Does anyone here have one, or has seen one? What are your thoughts?
    $300 for a watch is a hell lot of money where I live, so this will probably be my last watch for a couple of years. So it has to be good. If you have any alternatives (on a bracelet, ~40mm, clean dial) please let me know.

Thank you
    Chinese fassion watches made to look like an iconic well known swiss watch. Stay away.

$300 if far better spent on Seiko or something nice.
    ARMADUK likes this.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Re: Thoughts on D1 Milano Ultra Thin?

I had to look them up, as I’d never heard of the brand before now. Not a bad looking watch. As Seth pointed out, it’s a fashion watch produced in China with no mention of the type of movement being used. Personally, I don’t think that makes it inherently bad....it’s just not something that’s gonna tickle the berries of a lot of folks on an enthusiast forum. The only “drawback” I see is the mineral crystal, which scratches easy compared to sapphire.

As far as alternatives go, I can’t think of anything offhand with a similar “Genta” vibe. Would you be better served with something from a company like Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Victorinox, etc? Hard to say. I mean, at the end of the day ya’ gotta love the watch to really enjoy it....and it sounds like you love the looks of this one. Sometimes that’s all ya’ need. I’d rather get 5 years from a watch I love looking at than 20 from one that doesn’t do much for me.

I’m not sure where I’m going with all this. I suppose my advice would be to have a look at the brands mentioned above and see what else this thread generates. If nothing shows up that you like better, go with the D1.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you
    I actually like the look of these. While the design nods to the APRO and Nautilus, I think these have enough of their own thing going for them as much as the Maurice Lacroix Aikon, the Pelton Perseus, the Autodromo Group B Series 2, the Laventure Marine or the E.C. Anderson Calypso. No one is going to be fooled into thinking that it's a Nautilus or Royal Oak like a Bagelsport or Didun Design.

In my experience these typically wear large on the wrist compared to a round watch. I think it's worth going for a little bit smaller diameter so that more of the integrated bracelet is visible which is one of the standout features of these kinds of watches. With a 7 inch wrist I prefer the 36 to 39 mm size for this style of watch. Here's a vintage APRO which I think is around 35-37 mm.
    Name:  APROvintage.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  289.4 KB

Here's a recent Nautilus that is roughly 40 mm.
    Name:  Nautilus.jpg
Size:  305.2 KB

Here's a Pelton Perseus at 39 mm.
    Name:  PeltonPerseusGry.jpg
Size:  262.6 KB

Here's an Autodromo Group B Series 2 Prototype at 39 mm.
    Name:  AutodromoGrpBBracelet.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  294.1 KB

So, if I were to chose a quartz version of the D1 Milano ultrathin then I'd probably go with the 38 mm. But since you want 40mm then consider this one on Jomashop on sale for $255.50:
    https://www.jomashop.com/d1-milano-u...h-a-utb01.html

But depending on how it looks on wrist, I would also consider the automatic version in 41.5 mm for $345.00.
    https://www.jomashop.com/d1-milano-p...ch-atbj01.html

I also think that this skeleton automatic for $375.00 is great and no one is going to confuse that for a Nautilus or an APRO.
    https://www.jomashop.com/d1-milano-p...ch-skbj01.html
    Last edited by DocScotter; August 1st, 2019 at 01:31.
    Zeroedout likes this.
    Wear that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by DocScotter View Post
    I actually like the look of these. While the design nods to the APRO and Nautilus, I think these have enough of their own thing going for them as much as the Maurice Lacroix Aikon, the Pelton Perseus, the Autodromo Group B Series 2, the Laventure Marine or the E.C. Anderson Calypso.
    Think it was going for the GP Laureato, close as possible without being a rip off.

Has a Miyota Calibre GL20. Personally think it is overpriced, and have doubts about it's quality

Name:  8792414_xxl.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  130.2 KB
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Quote Originally Posted by SethThomas View Post
    Think it was going for the GP Laureato, close as possible without being a rip off.

Has a Miyota Calibre GL20. Personally think it is overpriced, and have doubts about it's quality
    I'm guessing that another WUS WIS just scored Bingo waiting for someone to mention the GP Laureato, the IWC Ingenieur or the VC Overseas. Congratulations as almost every new watch with an integrated bracelet gets compared to them.

I think almost all watches mentioned on this forum are overpriced but that doesn't stop most of us from buying them any way. And for $200 to $300 I'd have no problems ordering a 100% Chinese made D1 Milano from Jomashop compared to a much more expensive Swiss Watch that is without doubt up to 40% Chinese.
    Zeroedout and ARMADUK like this.
    Wear that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by DocScotter View Post
    I'm guessing that another WUS WIS just scored Bingo waiting for someone to mention the GP Laureato, the IWC Ingenieur or the VC Overseas. Congratulations as almost every new watch with an integrated bracelet gets compared to them.

I think almost all watches mentioned on this forum are overpriced but that doesn't stop most of us from buying them any way. And for $200 to $300 I'd have no problems ordering a 100% Chinese made D1 Milano from Jomashop compared to a much more expensive Swiss Watch that is without doubt up to 40% Chinese.
    Laureato was a direct response from GP in 1972 to the AP. It predates the Nautalus and the others. Only reason I mention it instead of the others.

In general I would agree. Many here have no problem dropping $300 on a Chinese, or of questionable origin fun watch. And , heck if I like the look, I'd jump, and have on many occasions (Mr. Jones watch in particular)

What gives me pause, and a do-not-recommend is the op's statement:
    $300 for a watch is a hell lot of money where I live, so this will probably be my last watch for a couple of years
    Sounds like this is a high tier purchase in his area; and this has large potential to disappoint as such.
    Core Collection:

So it has to be good. If you have any alternatives (on a bracelet, ~40mm, clean dial) please let me know.

Thank you

The new Akura Wayfarer has been making the rounds today.
    https://akuratime.com/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ical-toolwatch

https://wornandwound.com/first-look-...kura-wayfarer/

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/07/31/akura-wayfarer-watch/
    SethThomas likes this.

Congratulations on your 18th birthday, OP. I think it's great that you've got an interest in watches, and have started to make your own stylistic choices. I've got a nephew who recently turned 18, and I gave him a Tissot Visodate PR 516 GL that I wasn't wearing much (he's very happy with it). But, unless you've got a watch-hoarding uncle who's willing to give you one of the expensive watches mentioned above, I'd say go for the D1. Folks on this forum tend to prefer mechanical watches, but it looks like the mechanical version of the D1 is a bit above your budget; it's also a bit larger. But if you can stretch it, the (Seiko) NH38 movement inside has a good reputation. Otherwise, I would advise that watches in this style tend to wear a little large, so I would bear that in mind when considering whether you buy 38mm or 40mm.
    DocScotter likes this.

I bought a D1 Milano last year out of curiosity (I was born in Milano) and I must say that it did not disappoint me. The finish is sufficiently good and certainly good for the price. OK it is powered by a Chinese quartz, so what? I have enough mechanical watches and I don't mind a quartz or two. Besides I have no guarantee that my Citizens and Seikos are reaally fully made in Japan.

I hope I will be forgiven around here for this foolish purchase ... it must be my old age.

Name:  CIMG6529.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  586.1 KB

My advice to our young friend is: if you like it buy it and be happy with it.
    DocScotter and Synequano like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information