Thoughts on the following Ebel, Longines & Tag's
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on the following Ebel, Longines & Tag's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on the following Ebel, Longines & Tag's

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have always been a fan of watches and at a point in my life where I am thinking of getting a really nice watch to add to my stable. I currently own quite a few as many here do but my two main watches are the following...

Citizen Eco-Drive 8651

Ebel Sportwave

I am interested in a classy watch in the $1,500 - $2,500 range and am looking at the following...

I really like two Ebel's...

The first Ebel is out of my price range but I hear Ebel's don't hold their value so maybe on the used market.

I also like this Longines...

And the following Tag's...

Sorry for the disjointed looking post. I hit enter by accident and am feverishly trying to clean it up :). My heart is with the Ebel Classic Hexagon 1215833 but the price tag is off putting.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to learning more about time pieces here at WUS.
    Last edited by vonbonds; February 15th, 2012 at 22:08.

Re: Thoughts on the following Ebel, Longines & Tag's

Dont worry too much about price tag on Ebel, you can find them heavily discounted, and while many may percieve as that a negative, for the price you pay you end up getting a very high quality watch with high grade movements. One of my favourite brands.

The Tag Link is overpriced IMO and good value only on heavy discount or used. Longines has really started putting out some nice watches in the recent years and they are very well made watches with standard ETA movements. But of the lot, I would pick the EBel as well without a doubt.

By far, my favorite would be the Longines. See my sig, you'll see I have 2 Longines, so I may be a bit biased.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd pick Longines or Link or Citizen. Ebel is nice, but isn't that model 45mm+? Way to big for me.

This is my view of this from lots of following the sales forums here and other forums.
    I buy a watch always with the thought I might sell it someday.
    In the past I sold wathes that when I bought them they were my grail and I would swear I will never sell them so it could happened to anyone anytime.
    I found Ebel and Longines are hard to sell unless you take a BIG hit in the wallet, I know, I had a gorgeous Longines and I lost 1000$ even thought I bought it for 40% off tag price.
    I saw Tag will sell much faster and easiler and will keep better value then Ebel and Longines.
    Saying that I want to say I really like all 3 watches from the list you gave us so I would go with the Tag because not only it looks great but you will always be able to sell it easy.

I need to add I am not an expert if anyone disagrees with me then I am but a newbie but that is my impression of Ebel and Longines from looking at sales forums.
    My collection

Rolex Submariner 16610 Caliber 3135
    Rolex Daytona 116520 Caliber 4130
    Omega Planet Ocean Chrono 2218.50.00 Caliber: Omega 3313

Longines followed by the TAG (with bracelet) followed by the Ebel.

I have just bought a Longines and you will not be disappointed with the finish or feel.

swo

The first Ebel Hexagon (the one with power reserve) is awesome, had one for a little while. It is stunning in person. I sold it for about $1700, which is a bargain for that watch.

Quote Originally Posted by swo View Post
    The first Ebel Hexagon (the one with power reserve) is awesome, had one for a little while. It is stunning in person. I sold it for about $1700, which is a bargain for that watch.
    Thanks for everyone's responses so far. The Ebel Hexagon with the power reserve is my favorite of the bunch. If you sold it for $1700 what was the purchase price? Also where did you sell it?

I love the simplicity and elegance of the Longines very much as well but it sounds like it suffers a bit on the resell market. The first Tag I have displayed (the simpler of the two) is my favorite of the Tag's but my least desired at the moment. Most of my coworkers have a Tag of some sort and for that reason alone I am interested in being a bit different.

I have a lot to learn yet such as what it means for a watch with an ETA movement as well as other aspects I should consider when looking at higher end watches.

JeanRichard on the gray market can be found at around your budget, some might even be in-house movement.
    MeisterSinger and the Eterna Soleure Moonphase Monopusher also worth look at. Schaumburg Conceptum comes under budget and looks a little like the IWC Ingenieur.

swo

Hi, I sold it on Ebay about a year ago. I bought it used for about the same. Have you seen it in person because it is much larger than one may expect from Ebel. Very slick watch.

Quote Originally Posted by vonbonds View Post
    Thanks for everyone's responses so far. The Ebel Hexagon with the power reserve is my favorite of the bunch. If you sold it for $1700 what was the purchase price? Also where did you sell it?

I love the simplicity and elegance of the Longines very much as well but it sounds like it suffers a bit on the resell market. The first Tag I have displayed (the simpler of the two) is my favorite of the Tag's but my least desired at the moment. Most of my coworkers have a Tag of some sort and for that reason alone I am interested in being a bit different.

I have a lot to learn yet such as what it means for a watch with an ETA movement as well as other aspects I should consider when looking at higher end watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information