Thoughts on the Precista 89 PRS-17-C

Thread: Thoughts on the Precista 89 PRS-17-C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Thoughts on the Precista 89 PRS-17-C

I am looking for a nice rugged looking Chrono (100m WR) and came across this Timefactor watch, the Precista 89 100 metre CHRONOGRAPH. Seems like a solid condender for what you get (quality quartz movement and great design). Any thought on this?

Andreas

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Thoughts on the Precista 89 PRS-17-C

Love the central minute counter.

Not too many of those that affordable. Although, I personally prefer the elapse time bezel version.

I've got one (also with the second-timezone bezel). Excellent little watch, very good quality, very robust.

I don't think you can get that movement in a less expensive watch. It was made by Fricker in Germany for Timefactors.

Mind you, the bars are close to the case and will not permit straps of any thickness, but only thin to medium ones.

I use mine as a beater watch, and when I have to time things, and I consider it a winning package.

Also, Eddie's service is proverbially good.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great watch, definitely a favorite of mine!

Cheers,
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

I use mine as a beater watch, and when I have to time things, and I consider it a winning package.

That is what I was planning. I did find this 20yr old "beater" in my safe so this will hold me over until Eddie opens his store again on the 4/7

Andreas

Question Re: Thoughts on the Precista 89 PRS-17-C

Hi just joined this forum.
    I had been looking at getting a PRS17Q but the issue with the date window has put me off of buying one.
    Does the PRS17C have the same issue or not.
    Sorry should have said that the date looks mis-aligned when it is viewed from anywhere other than straight on.:thanks

P.S. Any thoughts on a leather strap for it?
    I do fancy the Time Factors Aviator but not sure if this will fit or not.

Hello j3bnl. Welcome to WUS.

The date window "issue" only affects the 17Q and 17A. The extreme corners of double-digit numbers that extend into the corners of the imaginary oblong shape that surrounds them can be obscured by the circular window. This can be seen clearly on the pictures on the Timefactors site. Eddie has taken pictures with the date set to "22". Take a look - it is not terrible - but if you think it would bug you, I think you are absolutely right to avoid it.

The 17C has a larger oblong date window.

The Time Factors Aviator Strap should be fine. Although it is a fairly chunky strap (my digital caliper says 3.45mm) only 1/3 if the thickness of the main strap wraps round the bar. It will fit watches with quite tight gaps.

I do not have a PRS-17 but I have 3 other PRSs. In my opinion Eddie's service is top class, the watches are well built and well priced.
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Loddonite View Post
    Hello j3bnl. Welcome to WUS.

The date window "issue" only affects the 17Q and 17A. The extreme corners of double-digit numbers that extend into the corners of the imaginary oblong shape that surrounds them can be obscured by the circular window. This can be seen clearly on the pictures on the Timefactors site. Eddie has taken pictures with the date set to "22". Take a look - it is not terrible - but if you think it would bug you, I think you are absolutely right to avoid it.

The 17C has a larger oblong date window.

The Time Factors Aviator Strap should be fine. Although it is a fairly chunky strap (my digital caliper says 3.45mm) only 1/3 if the thickness of the main strap wraps round the bar. It will fit watches with quite tight gaps.

I do not have a PRS-17 but I have 3 other PRSs. In my opinion Eddie's service is top class, the watches are well built and well priced.
    Many thanks for the reply and warm welcome, its appreciated.
    I have emailed Eddie and he said that the Aviator was not a good choice as it fouled on the case of the 17Q (I assume the 17c is the same) and recommended one of the TimeFactors Rally straps as a suitable alternative.
    I am sure however that I have seen/read somewhere of people using the Aviators on the 17A/Q and 17C.
    Perhaps someone else can pipe up and let me know before I order one when he re-opens the store on Monday (he closed this week because of the postal strikes).
    Anyone know if the Hirsch Liberty will fit as they look really nice.
    Last edited by j3bnl; October 23rd, 2009 at 03:29.

I just received mine and am thrilled with it! Excellent functionality and legibility. The chronograph is very easy to read (I love that all the chrono hands are yellow).

And it looks great! (even better in person than in pictures) It's not too big, but still catches the eye with contrasting brushed and polished surfaces that play with the light, and the use of a bit of yellow!

Today is the 23rd and the entire number "23" is visible through the rectangular date window and doesn't look misaligned from any angle.

Of interest, the zero position of all the chronograph hands can be adjusted simply using the crown and pushers. In this way, the watch can be used as a countdown timer for any elapsed time you wish. I really like this movement.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Shooter View Post
    That is what I was planning. I did find this 20yr old "beater" in my safe so this will hold me over until Eddie opens his store again on the 4/7

Looks very good for its age~Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information