Thoughts on Seagull ST2130 Movement as opposed to Sellita SW-200 and ETA-2824?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Seagull ST2130 Movement as opposed to Sellita SW-200 and ETA-2824?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on Seagull ST2130 Movement as opposed to Sellita SW-200 and ETA-2824?

Hello WUS'ers !

Just wanted to get some feedback from the wonderful community here in regards to a mechanical 3 hand movement.
    Back in 2010 - 2012-ish, I've been hearing some bad feedback about the Seagull movements, but as time passes, I see that the Seagull movements are becoming more relevant.

If there was an amazing watch out there with a beautiful design, would the fact that it has a Seagull ST2130 as opposed to the Sellita or ETA equivalent be a deal-breaker for you guys?
    There is definitely a significant gap in the cost per production between these three movements, and of course not everyone can be satisfied, but I genuinely wanted to hear the community's feedback and thoughts.

Thank you all so much !

Re: Thoughts on Seagull ST2130 Movement as opposed to Sellita SW-200 and ETA-2824?

Ask again in 30 years.
    slcbbrown, rhj and rfortson like this.

Re: Thoughts on Seagull ST2130 Movement as opposed to Sellita SW-200 and ETA-2824?

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealTimepieces View Post
    Hello WUS'ers !

Just wanted to get some feedback from the wonderful community here in regards to a mechanical 3 hand movement.
    Back in 2010 - 2012-ish, I've been hearing some bad feedback about the Seagull movements, but as time passes, I see that the Seagull movements are becoming more relevant.

If there was an amazing watch out there with a beautiful design, would the fact that it has a Seagull ST2130 as opposed to the Sellita or ETA equivalent be a deal-breaker for you guys?
    There is definitely a significant gap in the cost per production between these three movements, and of course not everyone can be satisfied, but I genuinely wanted to hear the community's feedback and thoughts.

Thank you all so much !
    I'm also curious about their reliability, I figure if I get 5 years minimum for a 300.00 - 350.00 watch that's good, more is icing on the cake.. I also just started collecting last October/November.. And I'm 63.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Watchbreath. Where in San Jose are you located? I'm in North San Jose, and I'd love to meet up with a fellow watch connoisseur to discuss some feedback about something I am going to unveil shortly !

Great to hear Slm, $300.00 - $350.00 for a mechanical watch that is supposedly supposed to be a clone of the 2824 is quite a deal..
    Just wanted to get some feedback from everyone, as there will be something that we unveil shortly that may appeal to many of us in this community.
    Slm643 likes this.

Blossom Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealTimepieces View Post
    Thanks Watchbreath. Where in San Jose are you located? I'm in North San Jose, and I'd love to meet up with a fellow watch connoisseur to discuss some feedback about something I am going to unveil shortly !

If it was in a real Chinese watch with cool Chinese characters and priced accordingly like these, sure, why not?

Name:  Capture-02.JPG
Views: 2330
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  Capture-03.JPG
Views: 2325
Size:  37.1 KB

But if the Seagull movement was cased up in some Germasian monstrosity and being paraded as something it isn't, then definitely not.

It's all about product and marketing integrity.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

I have a ST2130 in a Seagull Dong Feng, nice dress watch.

The movement has proven to be reliable and accurate more or less like a standard or elabore' grade 2824, it has the same qualities and drawbacks of the ETA (namely unpleasant handwinding and short power reserve).

Usually Seagull uses their best movements for the watches they assemble, I heard ST2130s used on cheap Chinese brands like Parnis etc...are not that great and they might have quality issues,so my recommendation is to get a real Seagull.

Name:  IMG_20170226_155357.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  830.7 KB

This is my Dong Feng, besides the movement also the rest of the watch is comparable to a Tissot Visodate in terms of quality, even if I think the sunburst dial is better than the Swiss watch.

I’ve never seen the value in saving a few hundred pounds to get something unlikely to last as long as an ETA. Also, with ETA grades you can have a good idea what level of quality you are paying for.

If I was given the choice between an ETA 2824 and an identical watch with a Seagull movement for half the price, it would buy the ETA version every time.

I don’t think any watch containing a Seagull ST2130 could be beautiful enough and well made enough that I would buy it. I would maybe consider buying it and swapping the movement myself, but that would have to be an unbelievably well made and designed watch to be worth the effort. I can’t imagine it happening...

I think you can get lucky and buy an ST whatever and it be accurate-ish, but you have more chance of it being out by quite a bit each day and suffering from large position variances. You can assume it will be unregulated and untested, because for those prices who would test it and regulate it? I have heard of one company regulating Seagull movements to about 10spd and using them, but they are a minority and charge quite a lot for a Seagull powered watch...

At the end of the day, Sellita movements are so cheap right now that trying to save a few pounds on the movement would give me bad feelings about what went in to the rest of the watch, and being unable to handle it before buying it would be enough to put me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lvt

Not sure if your local watchmaker could service your watch with an unfamiliar movement.

Sent from my LG-H630 using Tapatalk
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information