WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Thoughts on the Tissot T-Touch Expert Solar

18K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  no-time 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently saw a review of the Tissot T-touch Expert Solar by Ariel Adams, and I must say, I instantly fell in love With the watch. I just simply love the Whole concept of a touch watch (without it being a smart watch). So I went to the nearest Tissot AD, and I fell even more in love With it, just pressing on he screen, seeing the hands move in the speed they do (they are really fast) was simly amazing to me. So I've started to save up some Money for the beauty. But I would still love to hear what other People think of it. So is there anyone on, Wathuseek that's had some experince With it? even though I do love it, I don't want to buy something that won't last me some good years, I've seen someone complaining that it breaks super fast, and that there's better options out there, so I Guess my question is, are there better otions out there for a similar watch? And the price surprised me, 920 dollars. It's actually cheaper to buy it from an AD back here in Norway, then it is to buy it on the internet.

I appreciate all opinions. And would love to see what you people think of it.

#2 ·
I have couple of the older generation T-touches, Titanium with the carbon dial and the sea touch, both a pretty cool watches, accuracy is a bit off sometimes, but cool and fun watch regardless. love the touch screen. am sure you will feel the same when you receive yours.

#3 ·
I have both a first generation T-Touch and a Solar. My Solar is now 4 months old and it has never missed a beat or the charge meter gone lower than max notwithstanding the winter season.

Watch Wrist Analog watch Watch accessory Strap

My experience with both watches has ben very good but I have to admit that nowadays I lead a sheltered life and the only real danger for my watchs comes from doorjambs.

If I have a criticism for the Solar it is that it does too many things so its operation is somewhat complicate to remember. This bearing in mind that my habit is to wear a different watch every day. In case the Solar is used continuously the owner will probably master its many modes and functions.

Personally I have developed a simple yardstick to measure my liking of a watch: 'In case I lost it would I buy another one?' The answer for the Solar is yes.

#7 ·
I recently got the titanium bracelet version with the black bezel & pushers, and I'm loving it. I have tiny wrists (5.5"/14.5cm), so I hadn't considered the large watches that seem to be so prevalent these days. Then I saw this watch and immediately liked it, but I didn't think it would fit me until I tried it with all the removable links out - and to my surprise it turned out to fit well and I find it really comfortable.

Until now I've been happy with a Breitling Aerospace, which is literally half the size and weight, but I've grown attached to the T-Touch Solar - and it doesn't snag my shirt cuffs, which the Aerospace bezel riders regularly do. Plus, the bracelet has an extension feature for wearing over clothing, wetsuit, gauntlets, etc., which is handy when trekking or jogging in cold weather.

Unexpected favourite feature - the 'Meteo' (barometer). I find myself checking this quite often to see which way the weather's going; it works quite well.

Odd/annoying feature - the Timer feature runs up to 99 days(!), and the days setting is first. I'm not used to having to skip the days setting before setting hours & minutes, so I often increment the days by mistake, which is a pain.

#8 ·
I wanted to love it, but the midget hands ruined it for me after seeing the longer skeleton hands on the prototype. If the hour hand is that small why even have it? Maybe it should just be a digital watch.

Check out the hands on the Omega. Stretch those hands out make them skeleton and you've got a winner.

#9 ·
And it finally happened!! I now have the T-Touch Expert Solar (got it yesterday for 840 USD from an AD) and so far I love it, I need to calibrate the altimeter a little better but other than that, it's Perfect. It's such a fun watch. But when I got home and bedtime came, I decided too put the watch in it's Box, easier said than done. The Box is too small for the watch to sit on it's pillow, it's just impossible too Close it.
And I also have another problem, what atchhol wear? I love my Omega SeaMaster, but the Tissot is so much fun to use. Well, I have two hands.

#11 ·
Can you please comment on the LCD display visibility? I usually avoid negative displays, but this one looks like it may be easy to read in low light. Is the LCD display backlit?
Thanks,
kev

#12 ·
I would say that they are a bit too small. Buy I think the reason for the small size, is so that the motor can move the hands as quick as it does. (just what I think, I cant say anything for sure). But by usuing skeleton hands, they should have been able to solve that problem.
On the other hand (pun not intended) you get use to it. So, if the short hands is the only thing keeping you from getting it, you sjhould buy it. It's such a un watch to wear, and it's super light, even though it's 45mm, it's way lighter than my 41mm Omega SeaMaster.

#13 ·
Care to comment on the LCD display? I usually hate negative displays, but I am hoping this one is easy to read in subdues light. Can you show the lume & backlight, please.
Thanks,
kev

#16 ·
Hey guys,

I hope it's ok for me to ask this here.

But i was wondering what the difference is between the blue version and the black version.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

As far as i can find info, it's only the colour. Or is there more ?
I ask this because here in Holland there is a price difference.
The blue is € 895,00
The black is € 1.025,00
My preference goes to the Blue one, just for looks.
But if there is some difference between the two, that might influence my decission.
Please help :)

Thanx,
Thomas

#17 ·
Never understood the complaint about short hands. This is a common complaint about some Japanese watches, but honestly it never bothers me.

On the other hand, I really dislike an hour hand that is too long. I've had a couple of those, and in low/dim light, it can be hard to figure out which is which sometimes.

Anyway, just wanted to offer a different viewpoint.

To the OP, nice watch! I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it.

#18 ·
Hi Thomas,

There must be something wrong with your comparison: on Tissot Italy web store the two have an identical price of Euro 1,030.00 and the description is the same.

May I venture an explanation: the one with the black dial (which I have) has been around for some time now so it is possible to find it on sale at a reduced price which is not the case of the other more recent version.
Alternatively the price you mention for the blue one might be the price of the version with a strap and they wrongly put the picture of the bracelet version.

I made a further check with a grey market German seller from which I bought a couple of watches and in this case the blue one is less expensive than the black one ... I guess you have to shop around a bit more.

#19 ·
Thanx for you reply.
Hmm, thats weird then.
Here's a link to where i'm planning to buy where the two are compared. (don't know if you can click it though)
Product CompareThe only difference is 'solar' is not listed with the blue one, but thats most likely a mistake because it most certainly is solar.
Well then, i'll have to contact the store. But hopefully it's not a mistake on the price, otherwise i'll have to pay more LOL.

#22 ·
I think they're pretty sweet. Just from my research and seeing them in person. I would have had one if the salesman didn't keep talking me out of it due to "have to go without it for a month" due to a better change. He jkep trying to get me to buy a Powermatic 80 model. Ended up buying a watch online to not deal with him.

Missed out on an awesome watch. Hope you get one and love it.

#23 ·
IMO both hour and minutes hand are too short for such a big dial. The newest expert models, with the arrow-headed minutes hand is a little better looking, but still the hour hand is too short. A significant minus in a otherwise great watch, and I would like to know why they have shortened the hands when compared with the prototype. I hope Tissot redesign the hands for future releases.

#27 ·
Always loved the concept of this new version of the t-touch. I've owned several T-touch as well as Sea Touches and think they are fantastic watches. They were always very thick watches, really liking the slimmer profile of the solar.

#28 ·
What I like about this watch is, it seems like a normal featureless analogue Quartz watch to other people - especially in the mornings when the digital part is turned off, sometimes I leave the digital part off all day and use it an analogue watch. But its full of (almost hidden) features, and all solar powered.

I use the timer and barometer a lot, the barometer is so easy to use. Its 13 seconds off per year! That's 1 second every month, pretty smart.

Except for a digital Casio watch, this watch will last decades. The are only two potential risks, 1. If you take it swimming/diving a lot, then maybe a service might be required, 2. Changing the battery you might get dust in the movement. But i'm told the battery after 20 years looses only 20% of its charge, so it will most likely last the life of the watch or maybe need one battery change very long-term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.