Thoughts on Ulysse Nardin
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Ulysse Nardin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Ulysse Nardin

I currently own a Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronograph and absolutely love it. I have though been wanting to purchase a new watch and have thought about a Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver. I would appreciate any thoughts on the brand and if they are good quality watches. I am sure they are it's just that the brand itself does not get quite the attention that Rolex, Omega, or Breitling do. Also thinking about the IWC Galapagos or a Breitling Chronomat 44. Thanks!

Breitling, Omega, and Rolex seem to suck a lot of oxygen from the room. They are all popular and well regarded brands for good reason, but as a brand I favor Ulysse Nardin. Their product is superbly finished with unique aesthetics that are not universally appealing, but they catch my eye every time.
    UN is a great brand, just not your standard wis fare.
    RBrylawski likes this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Re: Thoughts on Ulysse Nardin

UN's bent towards dressy watches with unusual designs does not have as much appeal to a lot of North Americans as Rolex, Omega, Breitling with their sportier offerings. However, their reputation as a watchmaker is pretty much unquestioned and UN would be considered by many to be 'high end' in terms of finishing where none of the other three are typically included in that category.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you are correct about the unusual designs being less appealing to some people in relation to other watches that are more sporty. Also, Ulysse Nardin has such a nautical type image that may not appeal to everyone either if they are not from the coastline like me. Thanks though for the feedback and I look forward to possibly purchasing a watch soon.

I have mixed opinions about UN.

Their high end stuff - the Freak, animatronic repeaters, etc - is what dreams are made of. They are on the forefront of haute horologie, especially the work they are doing on silicon parts.

Their "entry level" stuff - you know, what is even remotely conceivable paying for - seems to be incredibly over priced for what you get. Many times, off the shelf movements - which I obviously have no problem with, but (just like IWC) not at these prices. Their "big digital" GMT application is fantastic, though. If they had a model that wasn't so "blingy" I feel bad wearing in the 3rd world locations I travel to, I would seriously consider one.

UN is extremely popular among Russian elites.

The watch you referred to is stunning, well made and not the usual fair around here. I tried one on not too long ago, and was very impressed with it.
    Doboji likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    I have mixed opinions about UN.

Their high end stuff - the Freak, animatronic repeaters, etc - is what dreams are made of. They are on the forefront of haute horologie, especially the work they are doing on silicon parts.

Their "entry level" stuff - you know, what is even remotely conceivable paying for - seems to be incredibly over priced for what you get.
    +1
    High end -
    Entry level -
    Last edited by danwealth; July 1st, 2013 at 08:26.

UN is great watch company. Their party pieces are at high-end, some with price tags over $500k (tourbillon minute repeaters and so on)

Maxi Marine Chrono is a great watch - much better in person than looking at photos. I'd suggest you go in to an AD and wear it and feel it. I reckon you will almost walk out the shop with it :D
    AP ROO Montauk Highway 26187ST.OO.D801CR.01
    G-Shock Sky Cockpit GW-3000M-4AER

I always thought UN is in different league than Rolex and Omega. A step higher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information