Three Chronographs (Follow-up Posting) - Page 4

Thread: Three Chronographs (Follow-up Posting)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Three Chronographs (Follow-up Posting)

Brequet of the three choices...

Chronoswiss is a monstrosity and the Panerai must be an acquired taste.

v76

Bob, I think the 40th Anniversary El Primero might be a nice choice as well, it combines some of the best elements of vintage El Primeros (case of A3818 and subdial layout/color of A386) ... I think it's the nicest El Primero the last 10 years or so. A few NOS pieces are still available with ADs despite it being a limited edition (1969 each of SS, rose gold and PVD cases). I think the SS version looks quite handsome ...

(borrowed image)

If the El Primero was good enough for Colonel Bashford-Snell during his sojourns into the dark continent and the Amazon, might be good enough for you

Quote Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
    No worries, I did not.

I have a few Citizens and Seikos that I wear when things get rough. I have found that I can scatch, ding and damage watches doing the simplest of everyday activities from typing at a desk to opening a door to just swinging my arm (e.g. I am clumsy). I was just thinking do I want a piece that is a fine piece of horology and a thing of beauty or something that is somewhat less suceptable to dings by means of materials of type of finish.

The C1 luminova on the Damasko worries me a bit (was not bright on my Sinn 756 Diapal) and the stability of Anonimo as an entity in general is a concern as well. None of the Bremont's seem to attact me unfortunately.

Bob
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Thanks again for the Zenith suggestion.

A couple things regarding the model that you suggested do not fit with what I am looking for. Namely, my collection needs another dark dialed option (Chronoswiss, GO, IWC and JLC are light dials and only the BP is dark currently). Secondly, there is something about overlaping registers on a chronograph that disturbs me. I did however consider the new Zenith El Primero Pilot. The El Primero is such a great movement (an thin).

In finer timepieces, a Breguet Type XX with a Lemania 1372 or a Zenith El Primero Pilot (El Primero 4002). I did looked at current offerings from BP, Chopard, Chronoswiss, GO, GP, IWC, JLC, GS, Omega, Panerai, Rolex, UN and VC.

In the more rugged watches, I considered offerings by Anonimo, Bremont, Damasko, Sinn, and UTS.

-<44 mm diameter (40-42 ideal)
    -<16 mm thickness (thinner is better)
    -Dark dial
    -C3 or C7 lume for excellent night viewing
    -Stainless Steel case
    -Moving second hand is a must and hacking is a nice to have and prefer no date
    >100 meter WR (like something that I can swim in)
    -Usually prefer brushed and or satin to polish

Open to suggestions...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    Bob, I think the 40th Anniversary El Primero might be a nice choice as well, it combines some of the best elements of vintage El Primeros (case of A3818 and subdial layout/color of A386) ... I think it's the nicest El Primero the last 10 years or so. A few NOS pieces are still available with ADs despite it being a limited edition (1969 each of SS, rose gold and PVD cases). I think the SS version looks quite handsome ...

(borrowed image)

If the El Primero was good enough for Colonel Bashford-Snell during his sojourns into the dark continent and the Amazon, might be good enough for you
    __________________________________________________ __________________

AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

Jim, another option might be the Ebel cal. 137 (Lemania 1350, a successor of the cal. 1340 used by Omega and Tissot in the '70s) ...
    An Ebel 1911 chronograph?

(borrowed image)

I think the newer BTR chronographs with the same movement have overlapping subdials, if I'm not mistaken. Of your choices, I'd still stick with the Breguet Type XX, it's a solid/classic choice.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

My vote goes to the Panerai. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
    Thanks again for the Zenith suggestion.

A couple things regarding the model that you suggested do not fit with what I am looking for. Namely, my collection needs another dark dialed option (Chronoswiss, GO, IWC and JLC are light dials and only the BP is dark currently). Secondly, there is something about overlaping registers on a chronograph that disturbs me. I did however consider the new Zenith El Primero Pilot. The El Primero is such a great movement (an thin).

In finer timepieces, a Breguet Type XX with a Lemania 1372 or a Zenith El Primero Pilot (El Primero 4002). I did looked at current offerings from BP, Chopard, Chronoswiss, GO, GP, IWC, JLC, GS, Omega, Panerai, Rolex, UN and VC.

In the more rugged watches, I considered offerings by Anonimo, Bremont, Damasko, Sinn, and UTS.

-<44 mm diameter (40-42 ideal)
    -<16 mm thickness (thinner is better)
    -Dark dial
    -C3 or C7 lume for excellent night viewing
    -Stainless Steel case
    -Moving second hand is a must and hacking is a nice to have and prefer no date
    >100 meter WR (like something that I can swim in)
    -Usually prefer brushed and or satin to polish

Open to suggestions...

Bob
    Well the 7750 is nothing special in terms of quality but if you want something very sturdy just look at the old porsche design, tutima f2, heuer and omega lemania 5100 powered chonographs, they are nearly undestructible and beat the crap of the valjoux 7750 on any points.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Georges,

I understand your sentiments regarding the Valjoux (its clunky in feel and function yet sturdy), but it is not the sturdiness of the movement that concerns me. It is the design of the watches exterior and its proposensity for scratches and dings and once damaged some designs show these defects off more than others. Most importantly, I need of course to like to design of the watch as well. BTW, the Anonimo is a 2892-A2 base with a Dubois Depraz 2035 module.

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    Well the 7750 is nothing special in terms of quality but if you want something very sturdy just look at the old porsche design, tutima f2, heuer and omega lemania 5100 powered chonographs, they are nearly undestructible and beat the crap of the valjoux 7750 on any points.

Easy, Panerai Radiomir, by a mile.

These are the two chronographs that are still in contention (along with some of the more rugged options that I posted) along with some attributes and concerns:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information