WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Three watches - your choices?? - Money no option for 1st choice!! & 4th Wildcard

5K views 47 replies 36 participants last post by  123robert 
#1 · (Edited)
Apologies if this has been done before,but what would you choose if you had to pick just three watches:

Here is the criteria for your selection of the three watches.

1.First watch - any price range/budget at all the sky is the limit.

2.Second watch - Up to around £2,000 ish or around £2,000 pounds sterling (or your preferred currency equivalent).

3.Under £250 (or your currency equivalent).

I know,three watches just won't be enough for many so you can have a 4th wild-card.

4.Wild-card choice.The absolute cheapest new/used watch possible that you would still be proud to wear.

All watches can be new or used and pictures of your choices and your reasons for choosing them would be most appreciated.

Over to you....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Three watches - your personal choice?? - Money no option (for 1st choice only!)

Canadian here but I'm going to rock USD because our currency took a dump.

1.Rolex Milsub, about $65,000 if you're lucky. In this condition, probably more. I love this model because it pulls away from traditional Rolex aesthetic (which is remarkably unusual) and also because there's rich history in these time pieces. Definitely my Holy Grail.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

2. Omega Speedmaster Professional Panda, about $3500. The Speedmaster has always called to me, and the Panda dial does so even more. I feel like every collection needs a chrono, and when you have one with such history, it's hard to argue against it.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

3:Seiko SARB023. $325 on Amazon. Seiko/Orient have the budget dress watches on lock. Great value and tremendous build quality for the price.

4. Casio, because it will outlive the human race.
Watch Digital clock Watch accessory Strap Stopwatch

*Edit* Added reasons as the OP requested.

#3 ·
Re: Three watches - your personal choice?? - Money no option (for 1st choice only!)

A great start.Thank you.You have set the bar extremely high in your selection.
It will be interesting to see if others concur with any of your choices or go down a different route.

#8 · (Edited)

Honestly, I would admire someone who had a three watch collection. It would show that this man has the experience to know what he likes, and that he may have graduated from collector to connoisseur. A collection of three well worn watches would be a treasure to pass down to the next generation, and could actually tell a story of the man who wore the watches.

These would be my choices:

1. Submariner
2. Speedmaster
3. G-Shock Rangeman

#9 ·

I will have a very hard time picking no.1 but I'll stick to around $10k and say

1. Reverso Duo, My current favourite BP Bathyscaphe in Ti, Breitling Navitimer, GO Panomatic

2. Omega Speedy Pro or the Rolex OP 39mm(above price range I know) or Tudor BB in red with new movement

3. Seiko 007 or Hamilton Kakhi

4. Seiko 5, Swatch Sistem 51

#11 ·

1. A Lange & Söhne Datograph

This watch is a piece of art. The movement shows all the finishing skill of ALS, but in a departure from their standard 3/4 plate format they chose to really show off the mechanisms of the movement with this one. The beauty of the decoration on the movement and the design surpasses their peers IMO. Philippe Dufour once said that it's the best chronograph made, which is high praise coming from someone who many consider to be the greatest watchmaker alive today. But despite being a haute horology piece, the dial is highly legible and uncluttered, making it more practical to use than some of the insanely complicated high end pieces you can find out there.

2. Breitling Airwolf

I think this is one of the best quartz watches out there. It's highly accurate due to the thermocompensated movement, but unlike most HAQ watches, this one has complications (chrono, alarm, date, second time zone, backlight). Of particular note is the alarm, which sounds off louder than most because of the acoustically amplifying caseback design. The internal slide rule that operates via a gear system connected to the bezel is a nice touch, too. A highly functional piece that looks good, too.

3. Luminox 3040 OD

This one works well as a beater watch. The case is fiberglass reinforced plastic, so it doesn't show scratches easily and it's very lightweight. The NATO strap also helps to keep it comfortable, and make sure you don't lose the watch if you bend a springbar. It's 200m water resistant so it can handle most water activities, and it's nice to know that you'll always be able to see the time because of the tritium illumination. It's the kind of watch that you can put on and forget its even there until you need it. Casio Rangeman would be a good alternative #3, too.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Green Strap

#12 ·

Tough call if money were no object. I think a lot of thought would have to go into it. If money were no object for "servicing" I might go for this one, but maybe in platinum. As far as #2 I'm thinking a nice pre-owned Speedy would be perfect. #3 would most likely be a Seiko or Orient Star. #4 would be my Seiko 5 ($56.00)

#13 ·
1) if budget is unlimited, it has to be the A Lange & Sohne Datograph. If it's $10k, the close match between Rolex Non date Sub 114060 and JLC Deep sea chronograph. In the higher end range. i chose ALS and JLC for their haute horology, Rolex for their reliable durable all purpose watch. Photos taken from the internet:

2) it has to be Longines legend diver. Simply the best sub $2k watch. You can dress up or dress down with this one. The ETA 2824-2 heart is a workhorse and keep grear time (at least mine has +2spd). This is mine:

3) seiko skx007/009 or monsters for their ruggedness and convenient, i have the blue monster:

This one is from the internet:

4) fun watch is either Timex Weekender Indiglo or Swatch sistem 51 (photos from the internet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Some fantastic selections coming in.The individuality and breadth of knowledge of the members of the forums is really kicking in.
For those who may have just joined in,here's the brief again.(Don't forget your 4th wild card choice!)

Three watches - your choices?? - Money no option for 1st choice!! & 4th Wildcard

Apologies if this has been done before,but what would you choose if you had to pick just three watches:

Here is the criteria for your selection of the three watches.

1.First watch - any price range/budget at all the sky is the limit.

2.Second watch - Up to around £2,000 ish or around £2,000 pounds sterling (or your preferred currency equivalent).

3.Under £250 (or your currency equivalent).

I know,three watches just won't be enough for many so you can have a 4th wild-card.

4.Wild-card choice.The absolute cheapest new/used watch possible that you would still be proud to wear.

All watches can be new or used and pictures of your choices and your reasons for choosing them would be most appreciated.

Over to you....​

#16 ·

1. The new SS Rolex Daytona with the ceramic bezel, with a white dial.

View attachment 7599122

2. For a bit under $3K, I'd probably get a versatile every occasion diver, most likely a pre-owned in great condition Omega Planet Ocean 2500D
View attachment 7599306

3. For the third option, I'd round up a bit and try to get a sporty diver, like a Seiko SBDC005 on rubber or a SBDC003 Blumo.
View attachment 7599370

4. Cheapest watch I'd still use, definitely a G-Shock. You can find great deals with pre-owned G-Shocks, and for a bit above $100 you can probably find a Mudman or a Pilot solar.
View attachment 7599394

#17 ·

I'm pretty simple and would choose most of what I currently have:
A) No limits choice: Rolex Exp II
B) ~$2k: Oris Diver small second hand (though the Longines Legend Diver from above would be a good choice as well)
C) Some type of G-shock (or using what I currently have, Luminox Colormark)

I seem to have an issue with super fancy watches, like the gold VC shown above. I think in photos it's a gorgeous piece, but I have no idea when I'd actually wear it. I would never wear it with anything less than suit (which I don't wear very often) and even in that situation, I think such a time piece would look silly on me. Way too flashy for me.

#19 ·
1) Paul Newman Daytona.
2) speedy pro i would have said but I really like the Speedy panda that was posted above. I'd go with that.
3) Skx007, currently wearing it. Cliched but I love it a great intro to watches I think. As much as it seems like a trite watch on this forum every time I see some POS that cost $200 bucks on someone's wrist that takes a battery to run I'm reminded how glad I am to have the 007.
4) vintage Vostok maybe. Or a sistem51

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·

1. Bespoke - from a high end independent watchmaker TBD...
2. Preowned Omega Aqua Terra should cover all the bases...
3. Seiko Sarb, or Tissot Visodate

#22 · (Edited)
1. A. Lange & Sohne Datograph (Zeitwerk a close 2nd)

2. 2k pounds is about 4k SGD.. Not much I want in this range so Imma go a bit lower - NOMOS Tangente

3. My Orange Monster has sentimental value but if we're talking theoretically, prolly a 2nd gen Monster, the Dracula

4. Tempted to go with another mechanical but gotta have a G-Shock

#23 ·

Money is no object is always difficult.

Category 1:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

A. Lange & Söhne Striking Time in White Gold
because it is BEAUTIFUL

2. Smart Casual

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

or Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

3. Something Sporty

and #4
Watch Digital clock Watch accessory Strap Analog watch

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
Re: Three watches - your choices?? - Money no option for 1st choice!! & 4th Wildcard

Love this challenge... OK here are mine:

For no. 1 I'd go Phillip Dufuor Simplicity:

Because if you could wouldn't you? I just love the romance... Single watch maker doing it all in sometimes antiquated fashion. And I'd want THAT as my dress watch.

But assuming I couldn't get my hands on one (and I can't) this will have to do:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brand

I just love the movement finishing coming out of the Micro Artist studio at Seiko and I love Grand Seiko...this is both in platinum...why not? Plus that dial is beautiful!

For no. 2 it'd be a toss up between:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Strap

Or this new one:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Coz I love pilot and aviation inspired watches...

As for no. 3 I'll go with this:

At the current pre order price it's an absolute steal of a diver and nice and svelt at 11ish mm. Plus I'd need a nice beater...

No. 4? Don't need it [emoji6] I'd have all the watches I need with these...trust me!

The Naf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.