Time vs Aesthetic Conundrum

Thread: Time vs Aesthetic Conundrum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time vs Aesthetic Conundrum

Greetings all,

I've come to the conclusion that I would like to purchase a nicer watch than the Bulova Millenia II (96A06) that I currently wear.

Initially, I was attracted to the Bell & Ross Vintage 126, with black leather strap. After putting this watch on in the Tourneau store in NYC, I decided to look at some other watches as well. The IWC Mark XVI was particularly nice, but the shop didn't have any to try on. I also liked the Bremont Alt1-P in Black.

As I sought to justify these sorts of watch prices to my wife, I wondered, what makes these watches cost so much more than a typical watch. After reading extensively on this site and others, I learned about some of the answers: heritage, craftsmanship, materials, name etc etc.

However, I keep returning to one point, and that is, why are the mechanical movements losing or gaining so much time compared to their quartz counterparts? I don't need the scientific explanation, i.e. friction etc etc, but wondering if there are highly accurate mechanical movements that might get close?

My ideal watch would be 38-42mm range, not rectangular or square, no gold, and have some aviation theme. I'm not interested in Breitling or Rolex. My budget is approximately $5,000.

So, fire away. What should I consider, what are your recommendations, and perhaps most importantly, should one sacrifice time accuracy to gain the aesthetic that an "upper-scale" watch gives?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses, to this, my first post.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

Re: Time vs Aesthetic Conundrum

Welcome to the forum.
    Some mechanical movements keep pretty good time. However quartz accuracy will be an order of magnitude better.
    People don't really buy a mechanical watch because it's a better timekeeper. It's because they like it as a piece of jewelry or as a piece of machinery.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Let me be the first to say,
    How about a Speedy Pro? It matches your criteria.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to WatchUSeek Herkdriver,

If you want to upgrade to an aviation themed watch with pedigree and craftsmanship and want to steer away from Breitling and Rolex I would like to suggest either the Omega Speedmaster Professional (hand-wound mechanical) or Speedmaster X-33 (quartz). The Speedy Pro is the first watch worn on the Moon and the X-33 has gone up in the shuttle many times and has spent time on the ISS.

BTW, Thanks for your service. I spent 16 of the best years of my life crewing C-130E/MC-130E/C-130H-3 aircraft.

And really, unless you're a total accuracy nut, a quality mechanical will be accurate enough. A few seconds a day don't really make that much difference. Sit in a room sometime where a lot of people have digital watches with hourly chimes. It's funny to hear how off some people's watches are. Some are chiming 2-3 minutes early, some 2-3 minutes late.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caraptor View Post
    Let me be the first to say,
    How about a Speedy Pro? It matches your criteria.
    Wow! Beautiful timepiece indeed....

Definitely a contender!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
    Welcome to WatchUSeek Herkdriver,

BTW, Thanks for your service. I spent 16 of the best years of my life crewing C-130E/MC-130E/C-130H-3 aircraft.
    Chief,

Thank *you* for *your* service. The Herk has been good to me, and I definitely owe a debt of gratitude to the extremely professional enlisted corps that have kept her flying. It's amazing to see an E-model with miserable training MC rates magically go into the 90-100% range in Iraq/Afghanistan. I love the Herk and hope to keep flying her.

BTW, thanks for your watch recommendations.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

Quote Originally Posted by Herkdrvr View Post
    Wow! Beautiful timepiece indeed....

Definitely a contender!

Thanks.
    See jbdan's pictures here. https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=305524

If these don't make you go Speedy Pro crazy, I don't know what will. I hope to own one myself one day.
    Caraptor

I really enjoy my Sinns. They come in other variations, but very accurate and high level of fit and finish (German watches with Swiss movements).

103 ST SA

756 S
    My little friends:

Casio G-Shock GW-5000
    Casio G-Shock GD-350
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    Kienzle Chronograph
    Omega Speedmaster PRO
    Orient Star Classic
    Rolex Submariner
    Seiko 007 Diver
    Seiko Turtle Diver
    Seiko SARB 021

Seiko 7A28 Chrono

And a few other fun watches ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rivera View Post
    I really enjoy my Sinns. They come in other variations, but very accurate and high level of fit and finish (German watches with Swiss movements).
    I have to piggy-back on Mikes recommendation for Sinn watches. But of course, I'm biased.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information