TIMEX Indiglo: the BEST night lighting ?

Thread: TIMEX Indiglo: the BEST night lighting ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TIMEX Indiglo: the BEST night lighting ?

I'm relatively new to this watch world (meaning that I only recently got the strange desire simultaneously to own more than one working watch at a time). From what I've seen so far, as long as one is willing to press a button, the TIMEX Indiglo lighting system seems to be the best most legible night 'time' viewing technology that there is. Yes, I've seen tritium tubes and they are certainly better than 'superlumina', but IMHO tritium can't beat the full face evenly lit display offered by Indiglo. I've wondered why more watches don't use something like this and have assumed that it's covered by some broad patent or other...
    Comments ? Dissent ? From those who've seen more of the watch world than myself ?

stuffler,mike

Re: TIMEX Indiglo: the BEST night lighting ?

Well, I do know that Timex received the patent for the Indiglo® nightlight in 1988 and that Indiglo is a registered trademark since then.
    The dial is coated with a compound of zinc sulfide mixed with copper, a substance which becomes luminescent when an electrical charge is applied. This layer is sandwiched between two conductive layers which act as electrodes. When the button is pushed, energy is supplied by the battery across the two electrodes, which in turn lights up the dial.
    What I don´t know is how that compares to full luminous (Superluminova) dials from Damasko for example.

Can´t answer your question because I can´t compare.

Planet Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by thorick View Post
    I'm relatively new to this watch world (meaning that I only recently got the strange desire simultaneously to own more than one working watch at a time). From what I've seen so far, as long as one is willing to press a button, the TIMEX Indiglo lighting system seems to be the best most legible night 'time' viewing technology that there is. Yes, I've seen tritium tubes and they are certainly better than 'superlumina', but IMHO tritium can't beat the full face evenly lit display offered by Indiglo. I've wondered why more watches don't use something like this and have assumed that it's covered by some broad patent or other...
    Comments ? Dissent ? From those who've seen more of the watch world than myself ?
    We have a few Indiglo Timex running watches, and they work very well, as does my Suunto (with compass, temperature, etc.) It depends on what you like. I am an absolute "lume" nut, and I look at my watch face regularly in the dark.

One watch that I own is the Nautische Instrumente Muhle Glashutte Nautic Timer Luminous that I bought from GNOMON (a sponsor here).
    The advantage to that is that once you charge it, the entire dial face is lit and you don't have to push a button to get the effect. The disadvantage is that after about 7 hours, it is difficult to make the hands out against the dimming dial. But it is still possible. The other potential downside is that since the complete dial is lit after charging, if you walk through a dark room, it is like wearing a beacon on your wrist. I like it, but it might not be everyone's taste.

My Omega Planet Ocean Chrono, and my GP Seahawk Pro II USA 71 both have really excellent all night lume, and the GP has the advantage of having the 3, 9, and 12 luminous.

However, overall the very best LUME watch I own is the Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon "Mad Cow". The 3, 6, 9, 12, and hour markers, as well as the hour, minute and second hands all have tritium tubes in them, which are crystal clear at all times. No charging necessary ever. No buttons to push. No fading out at the 8 hour mark. Full automatic in a basically shockproof, waterproof, antimagnetic, bulletproof watch.

If night lighting is your thing, do look at BALL.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the Indiglo technical description. I had wondered what the basic idea behind the technology was.
    That's a nice full luminous dial picture !
    One situation in which I've found Indiglo to be very good is in a movie theatre in which it's dark but one's eye pupils aren't completely opened because of the light from the movie.
    I wonder how a full superlumina face would compare in similar circumstances. Guess I'll have to get a watch with a full luminous face someday and try it for myself

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, I do know that Timex received the patent for the Indiglo® nightlight in 1988 and that Indiglo is a registered trademark since then.
    The dial is coated with a compound of zinc sulfide mixed with copper, a substance which becomes luminescent when an electrical charge is applied. This layer is sandwiched between two conductive layers which act as electrodes. When the button is pushed, energy is supplied by the battery across the two electrodes, which in turn lights up the dial.
    What I don´t know is how that compares to full luminous (Superluminova) dials from Damasko for example.

Can´t answer your question because I can´t compare.

I vote for Omega X-33. I use it as a flashlight during my baby's night meal.

Last edited by meenyc; March 30th, 2007 at 18:41. Reason: typo

There's no doubt that full face illumination provides the ultimate in readability. But it does require a button push. That's not much help in a strange hotel room, absolutely pitch black, and the watch is somewhere on the bedside table (hmmm... now which side was that bedside table??).

For travel, I take my Luminox or my Ball. I just open my eyes, and there's the time. No fumbling. No need to 'charge' the lume on a GTLS watch. All night visibility, and for the next 20 years or more. Is that the best night lighting or what?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by G M Fude View Post
    That's not much help in a strange hotel room, absolutely pitch black, and the watch is somewhere on the bedside table (hmmm... now which side was that bedside table??).
    Wow, this sounds like a DANGEROUS situation to be in.

I think Casio'ms EL(electro-luminescent) light is comparable to Indiglo, both in luminosity and technology.

LTH

I have a Casio "blue" Illuminator chrono, the light strength decrease with time, even with a new battery, and it emits a noisy sound when lighted, likely there is an oscillator to gain high voltage, on my protrek prt-500 the illumator is less noisy, less blue (or more green...) and much more stable over time

beware with illuminator or indiglo, much often the light button is combined with some other function like chrono or alarm
    for example when the protrek is in alarm display mode, the light button toggle the alarm on/off

imho illuminator/indiglo is better than luminova in semi darkness, on the other side backlight means battery, battery means open the case, and open the case means no more water resist, so it all depends of your way of life and is a good way to explain why you need a newer watch

the X33 is a nice choice in a less expensive category I vote for the swatch beat, the big white button is for backlight, and long press gives an hidden bonus

Swatch Sistem 51 Arrow (custom bracelet), Bulova Snorkel 96B209, Seiko SSA174K1 "unicorn" 4R37, Seiko SKA465P1 Kinetic 5M62-0CH0, Alpha Sundial Black, Seiko "SPØRK" SRP043K1, MQJ submariner, Casio WVA-430, Citizen diver NY2300-09EB, Seiko 5 SNXS77K (7S26) , Casio Protrek PRT-500 , Swatch Beat webmaster , vintage Seiko 5 (1972 defective) various Casio, Pulsar, Yonger&Bresson all anadigit and a Fossil WristPda:oops:

Quote Originally Posted by G M Fude View Post
    There's no doubt that full face illumination provides the ultimate in readability. But it does require a button push. That's not much help in a strange hotel room, absolutely pitch black, and the watch is somewhere on the bedside table (hmmm... now which side was that bedside table??).

For travel, I take my Luminox or my Ball. I just open my eyes, and there's the time. No fumbling. No need to 'charge' the lume on a GTLS watch. All night visibility, and for the next 20 years or more. Is that the best night lighting or what?
    I have to agree.. My Luminox is far superior to the Timex..

Quote Originally Posted by MMT View Post
    That's why I never sleep in complete darkness in a strange hotel room. I either leave the curtains halfway open, or the bathroom light on, in case there's an emergency.

MMT
    Yes, that's certainly not a bad idea. I always travel with a small torch (called a flashlight in America), such as a mini-Maglight, and that's on the bedside table next to the watch. I don't use it to read the time though or that would cause the same fumbling as for a non-GTLS watch. I remember once being in the back blocks of China (I think it was Jinan) and the power went out for the hotel part of the city for hours in the early evening -- that Maglight paid for itself many times then! Unfortunately it was long before I bought my GTLS watches.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information