Timex WS4 Compass issue
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scubaman2007

Thread: Timex WS4 Compass issue

Timex WS4 Compass issue

Hi, I recently bought a Ws4 and it was working fine up until the other day when the digital compass stopped working, when using compass mode the watch incorrectly just shows north or south and switches between the two with the slightest adjustment, I have reconfigured it loads, removed and changed battery, but no luck, anyone had the same issue?

Re: Timex WS4 Compass issue

Sorry I can't help...mine has not had this problem. Yours didn't come close to any high-magnetic fields, TV/CRT's, powerlines or so on?
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Timex usually has pretty good customer service and repairs, have you contacted them?

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am having the same issue with Times WS4. Did you ever get it resolved?

Hi there, did anyone get to the bottom of the issue?

I have a WS4 since last year and shortly after I got it, the compass started acting up, just like you described it. That`s when I decide to read the manual....LOL
    Anyway, the manual says that in some instances, the compass needs to be re-calibrated. It is actualy a good idea that the compass to be callibrated periodicaly. Here is how to do that:
    - Press MODE untill COMPASS is shown
    - Hold SET to start
    - Keeping the watch level and dial/display faceing up, rotate the watch twice then press MODE. Make sure you take about 15 seconds for each revolution.
    - Next push START or STOP button to set (increase or decrease) your declination angle which is specific to your location.
    - Press SET to finish. The watch will show on the display OK CAL if the calibration was succesful or CAL FAIL if the calibration was unsuccesful. If unsuccesfull, repeat the steps above.

PS
    Regarding the declination angle. Leaving the settings at "0", the compass will read the magnetic North. By entering a declination value, the compass will read the geographic North
    Unfortunately, the manual only gives the values of 40 or 42 cities from around the world. But you`ll find the location you want on the internet.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my WS4. Suddenly the needle flipped from north to south or just stucked showing north. Re-calibration, removing battery and even a new CR2430 did not fix the problem. I tried several times to calibrate the compass like it is described in the user manual - but no success.

So, i took a small neodym magnet just to control if the compass is working somehow. I moved the magnet around my WS4 (distance 4-5cm) very slowly - the compass mode activated. The virtual needle suddenly started to follow my magnet - forward and backward. Finally I moved my magnet 3 times clockwise around my watch....

And believe it or not - but my compass function is back again And it is working very fast and accurate now...
    No idea what happened exactly to the magnetic field sensor inside the WS4 - but it is working again

It simply worked with my WS4

CitizenM likes this.

Me also face the same problem. After I saw this thread then I try to put a magnet beside the watch and rotate the watch when calibration. After 3 turn (although advice twice only.) Then the compass already run normal again. Thank watchuseek forum a lot!!

Hey - it worked!

I bought the WS4 and after a few months the compass stopped working so I sent it back. The replacement worked for about 8 months. Not worked until I saw this thread. I used a magnetic door catch I had lying around. Did as above and it now works. Tops.

Pity the compass is so poor though. I can't rely on it. Need to rely on the faithful manual one. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by will i am View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a Ws4 and it was working fine up until the other day when the digital compass stopped working, when using compass mode the watch incorrectly just shows north or south and switches between the two with the slightest adjustment, I have reconfigured it loads, removed and changed battery, but no luck, anyone had the same issue?
    I realize this is an old question, but my answer would be of good use for others.

I had the exact same issue with a Timex WS4. I used a watch demagetizer on the watch as like I use for my mechanical watches. I suspected the sensor to be magnetized. The sensor uses a micro size set of polar windings on a type of ferrit type core. If the core is magnetized this will be an issue. I have seen this issue with other types of electronic compasses.

After doing this process try the cal again. I found cell phones, tablets, and other electronic devices can magnetize these types of watches. They use magnets in the speaker and microphone of these devices. I also have issues with my mechanical watches with these devices.

Jerryg50

Thread Information