Tissot compared to Citizen

View Poll Results: Which is better based on quality and quality alone?

Voters
236. This poll is closed
  • Tissot

122 51.69%
  • Citizen

114 48.31%

Thread: Tissot compared to Citizen

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Tissot compared to Citizen

Just doing some research for my new watch...I've come across many models from the two which I'd like. I've read about them and the materials(and movements) used on them(while doing some surveys for a local watch shop). I've talked to owners about how they are to live with day to day. But now I've decided to take a step back and look at the companies that produces them. Which do you think offer more for the money? I know they're adressed to different segments on the market, especially Tissot whcih have they're own little niche, but which one would you chose based on quality an quality alone when it comes to watches starting from 300 and going up to 600(maybe 700) dollars?!

beshannon

Re: Tissot compared to Citizen

Impossible to answer.

Are you comparing Tissot mecahnical movements to Citizen quartz movements?

stuffler,mike

I can`t answer either. Better to compare model to model not brand to brand. BTW: You own a Tissot and two Citizen, you should already have some kind of opinion, right ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm talking about overall quality of the materials used. And I forgot to mention...only quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    I can`t answer either. Better to compare model to model not brand to brand. BTW: You own a Tissot and two Citizen, you should already have some kind of opinion, right ?
    Actually two Tissots(one I only wear very very rarely) and 2 Citizens...but they are very different styles. I allready have my opinion formed. I was just wondering what is the general opinion on overall quality of the two.
    Last edited by sawyer; September 8th, 2009 at 16:57.

If you are speaking in general terms, I think the occupy virtually the same market space across most of their lines. So generally, I would think that they are virtually identical in terms of quality for most of that range. I think in the $200-$500 sweet spot, where both lines' mid range lie, I would give the edge to Citizen. That, however is comparing a 11 year old Eco Drive, to my brother's mor recent Tissots (which he collects). My brother seems to have an unusual number of movement problems, too. Things like hands not lining up with each other, or being far off markers, or nooning/date change that has migrated to 4:00 etc... if you can live with all of that, I guess you are OK for a Tissot, but I can't somehow imagine the same things on a Citizen, for some reason.

One issue I have with Tissot, is that of brand management. I have no ideal what the brand stands for. I'm even more confused after visiting Switzerland a few weeks ago, where every single tourist trap without fail offered a wide range of Swiss Army and Tissot watches for your consideration. Some added Rado or others, but even the little stand in the middle of the bridge in Lucerne had a pile of Tissots. Not sure what it means, as I said, just confusing...

Quote Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
    If you are speaking in general terms, I think the occupy virtually the same market space across most of their lines. So generally, I would think that they are virtually identical in terms of quality for most of that range. I think in the $200-$500 sweet spot, where both lines' mid range lie, I would give the edge to Citizen. That, however is comparing a 11 year old Eco Drive, to my brother's mor recent Tissots (which he collects). My brother seems to have an unusual number of movement problems, too. Things like hands not lining up with each other, or being far off markers, or nooning/date change that has migrated to 4:00 etc... if you can live with all of that, I guess you are OK for a Tissot, but I can't somehow imagine the same things on a Citizen, for some reason.

One issue I have with Tissot, is that of brand management. I have no ideal what the brand stands for. I'm even more confused after visiting Switzerland a few weeks ago, where every single tourist trap without fail offered a wide range of Swiss Army and Tissot watches for your consideration. Some added Rado or others, but even the little stand in the middle of the bridge in Lucerne had a pile of Tissots. Not sure what it means, as I said, just confusing...
    That's one of my concerns with Tissot...it's getting a bit "swatch"-ish isn't it? Also design wise it looks like the are starting to make "power-rangers" watches. But quality wise they are good...

Quote Originally Posted by sawyer View Post
    Just doing some research for my new watch...I've come across many models from the two which I'd like. I've read about them and the materials(and movements) used on them(while doing some surveys for a local watch shop). I've talked to owners about how they are to live with day to day. But now I've decided to take a step back and look at the companies that produces them. Which do you think offer more for the money? I know they're adressed to different segments on the market, especially Tissot whcih have they're own little niche, but which one would you chose based on quality an quality alone when it comes to watches starting from 300 and going up to 600(maybe 700) dollars?!

You will need to pick out a line from Citizen and from Tissot for any meaningful answers. The Citizen line in particular is way too broad.

PS: If it is quartz then Citizen hands down given that their models include The Citizen watches which are probably close to the pinnacle for high end quartz watches.
    Last edited by John MS; September 8th, 2009 at 18:40.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    You will need to pick out a line from Citizen and from Tissot for any meaningful answers. The Citizen line in particular is way too broad.

PS: If it is quartz then Citizen hands down given that their models include The Citizen watches which are probably close to the pinnacle for high end quartz watches.
    Well I'm referring to overall build quality. Leaving aside the movements. Materials used on the bracelet and case or crystals...quality of the leather...the overall feel of the watch after it has aged a bit.

I can't say I've had any experience with Citizen, but most accounts say that they are good quality for money. I have had experience with Tissot, and can say that they are very, very good for the money.
    I'd have to choose Tissot over Citizen, though. Citizen seems to be hanging it's hat on Eco-Drive, which really isn't that big of a deal. It will eventually fail, batteries and battery changes are cheap, and having an Eco-Drive comes with the aesthetic cost of having "Eco-Drive" printed in big letters over the dial.
    Tissots also have things like sapphire crystals, deployment buckles, and see-through casebacks, all nice little touches.
    However, Tissot's main selling point, to me, is its uniqueness. They're not very common over here in the States (although they're a dime a dozen in the CH), they have some fairly unique designs, and very unique prices for what you get.
    Oh, and Citizen has a crappy name.
    (One area where Citizen does lead Tissot is in the production of "tool" watches. Stuff like the Aqualand. Except for the T-Touch range, Tissot makes nothing like that. However, were I buying a watch like a T-Touch, or an Aqualand, I'd probably have to get a Casio.)
    Collection
    The Keepers: Breitling Superocean Steelfish, Doxa Sub 300 Professional (50th anniversay reissue, #299/300), Omega Speedmaster Professional, Scurfa Diver One, Shinola Runwell 47mm, Tissot Quadrato Chrono

The Flipped: Too many to count...

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information