Titanium watch - itching?!

Thread: Titanium watch - itching?!

Titanium watch - itching?!

Hi there,

I haven't posted on this forum before, I usually lurk in the German and PilMil forums.

I have noticed with my titanium Tutima NATO chrono that it feels itchy where the caseback touches the wrist after a few hours (without sweating). I notice this to a lesser extent with my Sinn 157 Ti Ty. I don't have this with my steel watches. Is it something to do with Titanium Dioxide (?) on the surface of the case creating an allergic reaction? My brother noticed this with his old Breitling Aerospace, which gave him a horrific circular rash on the top of his wrist, but strangely the bracelet did not cause any allergic reaction.

Any thoughts? Anyone experiencing this? Anything one can do about it? I realise everyone's body is different!

I am otherwise a big fan of Ti chronos as they are much lighter on the wrist, and more stealthy, although a little easier to scratch.

Cheers

Pat

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Titanium watch - itching?!

Some people are allergic to Ti. Wear on the other wrist and see if the itch follows the watch.

Maybe a Nato type strap to get it off your skin?

Banned

Hi Plissken,

That is a little suprising to hear because Ti is known for being less likely to cause that because there is very little nickel in this kind of material. But as you said everybody reacts differently to different things. I have never experienced this when I've worn my Ti Citizenin the past. Sorry to hear about that .

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the comments guys. I will try giving both watches a wash and try the other wrist and see if it makes any difference. I was surprised too. NATO isn't really suited to either watch, but I might go that route in worst case scenario. Or BUND strap. I generally prefer a bracelet on that type of watch though. I've had a titanium Citizen promaster dive watch for 9 years and put it through the wars and never had any problems with it whatsoever. I guess Ti feels different anyway as it feels 'warmer' than steel which is a better conductor of heat. Cheers.

Maybe it got some contaminant on it without you noticing? Why not give it a scrub in warm soapy water with a toothbrush, rinse it throughly and dry it, then see what happens.

Diffcult to say what the titanium might be alloyed with, but the metal itself is known for its anti-allergenic properties, which is why it is very commonly used in repairing bones and joints -- it can be left in the body for decades without any reaction.
    Steve

Some leather straps do that to me, sometimes it's mild like you decribe, other times it just flares up into a pulsating hot red oozing mess. People always tell me it's the buckle, but it happens with anything from a Swatch strap with a plastic buckle, to a Sinn cowhide strap with a stainless steel buckle.

I've had good luck with however Stowa makes or gets its straps, and good luck with DiModell. Otherwise, I grew up with horses and the leather tack that comes with them and never had any reaction to long hours of holding leather reins.

I'd love to know what some of these straps are treated with that would possibly make my skin get such an insta rash on both wrists (I used to think it was just the left wrist, but it's the right one too). It's some, but not all.

The Sinn strap was the worst one in recent memory. I didn't even buckle the thing, it just laid on my wrist for a few seconds and flared up like nobody's business.

I guess for you it's similar, that some make you itch worse than others, but it would be nice to know which chemical you're reacting to, wouldn't it?

Thanks for all the input guys. Gave both watches a good clean and scrub up and they aren't itchy now. Must have been oxide/contaminant or something.

I guess it would be nice to know what types of chemical manufacturers use on their leather straps, but I guess they consider on a need to know basis and not relevant unless you are going to eat it! But still...

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
    I guess it would be nice to know what types of chemical manufacturers use on their leather straps, but I guess they consider on a need to know basis and not relevant unless you are going to eat it! But still...
    Best not to know! I'm a chemist, and some of the chemicals used in the tanning process are not that nice in prolonged contact with your skin. However, all these chemicals should be completely removed from the hide during that process.

I guess with any procedure occasionally some dubious quality hides get through, but doubtful that any of the name manufacturers (Di Modell, Hirsch, H-R etc etc) would come close to selecting those dodgy ones.
    Steve

Thread Information